Infos needed about the Amtrak #2 - Big Bayou Canot crash.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X

X996

Hello all,

First of all, please forgive me the subject of this thread, I know it could revive bad memories for some of you. My intention is truly not morbid, I just need accurate informations for a model railroading project.

I plan to build a diorama of the ill-fated Sunset Limited as if the boat hadn't collided with the bridge. I have gathered good informations about the cars and engines (type and numbers), the area of the bridge itself but I'd need the direction of each locomotives that composed the multiple unit. The P40, no need to wonder, the cab is of course facing the direction of the train but what about the two F40PHR, the #262 and #312 ? I tried to deduce this information from the photos of the wreck but it would remain educated guess, I'd prefer a confirmed info.

Thanks in advance,

Antoine.

I found this thread:

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/17904-engines-on-sunset-ltdbayou-canot-accident/

Which has a link to this account:

http://www.gcwriters.org/destruction_of_amtrak.htm

Which contains:

The lead locomotive, still coupled to the second locomotive, flew almost 150 feet through the air and slammed nose first into the opposite bank. The second unit, acting as a 70-ton pile driver, drove the lead unit into the mud so deep that only the last fifteen feet of the lead unit was visible. Then the second unit flipped around and exploded. The third engine, baggage car, dorm car, and two of the three passenger cars flew off the right side of what ~~as left of the bridge and crashed into the bayou.
Which may be of help when looking at a picture of the accident scene.

The thread also contains a link to a DoT special collections website that no longer seems to be working.

The full report doesn't seem to be on the NTSB website - I know I've read it, so it's out there somewhere (or was at some point in the past).
Yup, that's exactly what I was about to write, like you I've just found the summary.

Nevertheless, I dug out a technical rescue incident report from the USFA (61 pages), I'll have to read it to see if I can find something about the engines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back