comfort of a superliner in an artic vortex

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gone fishing

How comfortable are the folks in coach with a weather snap like the first 2 weeks of 2014?

As long as the heat is working, it's like traveling in a car. The train isn't drafty like a house until, obviously, they open the door at stops. Even then, if I'm in the upper level of Coach, I can hardly tell the door is open. It stays toasty warm up there, sometimes too warm.

All that said, Superliner coaches can run cold at any time of year. So when I travel overnight in coach, I always bring along a blanket, extra pillow, and extra clothes (long underwear and an extra sweatshirt) to keep myself toasty warm regardles.

The superliners are much better than the single levels, I traveled the LSL thru a Blizzard near Buffalo and the car was freezing, even with a blanket. the snow was piling up between the cars. When we got to any station that they needed the stairs, the OBS had to shovel out the stairs before being able to use them.

having spent five hours once on the Cardinal in 30 degree weather with no head end power (they had forgotten to fuel the train, or so we were told) it got cold within the first hour and by the third hour I warned the Conductor hat he needed to find every blanket he could and start passing them out to the kids and start giving away every hot beverage they had. By the end it was getting very ugly, It wasn't the best end to a honeymoon, but now we just laugh about it.

The superliners are much better than the single levels, I traveled the LSL thru a Blizzard near Buffalo and the car was freezing, even with a blanket. the snow was piling up between the cars. When we got to any station that they needed the stairs, the OBS had to shovel out the stairs before being able to use them.
Regarding the single-level cars, I've found that the Viewliners are quite snug, but the Amfleets -- and the Heritage dining cars -- are much more drafty. The vestibules build up snow and ice near the doors/traps in all cases, but it doesn't get as cold in the Viewliner vestibules, and the cold stays out of the compartments in the Viewliners, while the cold always gets into the seating area in the Amfleets. (Never been in a Horizon.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back