• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#21 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:10 AM

Bill, you were the first person to respond to my very first posting on AU !  Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery.

Ed :cool:

#22 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,803 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

Oh no Mr. Bill!

Seriously though I hope you recover quickly.

The forum just isn't the same without your knowledge.

If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla.

#23 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,820 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:35 AM

According to Bill's sister...

Bill's health is improving and he thanks everyone for the well wishes.

Amtrak miles: 207,636; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Autumn Express 2015, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner; Lakeshore Limited (BOS-ALB), Autumn Express 2016, Palmetto.

VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian (westbound), Ocean; Alaska Railroad Denali Star: 356 miles

#24 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,287 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:38 AM

Yay!
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#25 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,111 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:39 AM

:)

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#26 Everydaymatters

Everydaymatters

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Travel, antiques, reading, pinochle, grandkids

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:05 AM

Bill is improving with physical therapy and hopeful of being moved to an assisted living home where he can see the Amtrak rails.

Routes Traveled: Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Missouri Mule, Empire Builder, Capitol Ltd., Lincoln Service, Lake Shore Ltd., Missouri River Runner, City of New Orleans, Cardinal, Silver Meteor, Texas Eagle, Cascades, Broadway Ltd., Acela, Downeaster, Sunset Ltd., Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Hiawatha, Capitol Corridor, Maple Leaf   74,291 Amtrak miles.  Via Rail Vancouver to Toronto 2775 Miles.

#27 blueman271

blueman271

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Traveling and the Miami Dolphins

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:45 AM

Great to hear your getting better Bill!
Pride Runs Deep

#28 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,733 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

Good to hear!:) At least he can see the rails, it would be better if he could ride the rails!:)

Edited by the_traveler, 09 January 2014 - 10:58 AM.
Spelling

Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#29 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

Aloha

Hope he can also hear the Horn that kind of music will help get better

Mahalo

GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks
http://gg-1.smugmug.com/'>Picture Galleries

Posted Image

#30 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,610 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

:) Great News!

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#31 oldtimer

oldtimer

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:If it rolls, flies, or floats I can fix it, certified A&P mechanic, builder and crew chief for late model stock car, I ride a 1977 GoldWing and have worked a lot on vintage aircraft.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

That is GREAT news. Bill is a great resource and also a great person!

#32 Lumeria

Lumeria

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:20 PM

That's it!  Bill is the inspiration for a new form of assisted living: specially-equipped train cars!  There'll be a therapy area at one end of the car, wheelchair-accessible showers, a new rank of rail staff certified as caregivers and nursing assistants, and an on-board nurse available at all times.  Regular train passengers from other cars can be treated by the staff medical personnel for an additional fee.  Walkers have extra sets of wheels on side legs to make them extra stable as the train jostles.  And resident medical records will be kept at hospitals at all stops along the line, just in case immediate care is needed.  A superb concept, Bill!  You of course should get a cut for making it all possible.  Even better, you should have a paid position as senior rail staff mentor.

I'm glad to make your virtual acquaintance, Bill, and very best wishes to you for your continued recovery.

Edited by Lumeria, 15 January 2014 - 03:20 PM.

#33 WhoozOn1st

WhoozOn1st

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

Bill,

I hope you make up all the ground - and more - involved in your "setback" so you can give us more detail than euphemism on what happened and how you're doing, just as you would give us the appreciated factual details on steam and other railroading.

Metra+003.jpg

Here's Bill topside aboard Metra at AU's first Gathering, with J1-3235 (Mike), AlanB, and (I think) Trogdor (Robert); part of the gang remaining after the shop tour and lunch to make the Sunday afternoon run out to Elgin.  WhoozPhoto, 10-14-07.

Edited by WhoozOn1st, 15 January 2014 - 07:15 PM.

WhoozOn1st

#34 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,820 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

I just heard from Bill's sister.  She said Bill will be moving into his new apartment this weekend.  I assume that will be his assisted living apartment.  I view this as positive news.  :)

Thanks Patrick for posting that great photo.

Amtrak miles: 207,636; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Autumn Express 2015, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner; Lakeshore Limited (BOS-ALB), Autumn Express 2016, Palmetto.

VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian (westbound), Ocean; Alaska Railroad Denali Star: 356 miles

#35 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,610 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

:cool: Great News! And I agree, Good Pic Patrick! :hi: (One Question: you show a date of 10-14-10 on the Pic but wasn't the 2010 Gathering in St. Louis??(My First Gathering)

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#36 WhoozOn1st

WhoozOn1st

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

One Question: you show a date of 10-14-10 on the Pic but wasn't the 2010 Gathering in St. Louis??(My First Gathering)

Good eye, my mistake, corrected in original post.  Amtrak Unlimited's First Annual Gathering (some people were skeptical then about the "annual" bit!) was held at Chicago, in October, 2007.  Here's Bill in the group shot taken after getting off the bus and before walking to wait for the Sunday shop tour...

ME+Group+Tour.jpg

Bill Haithcoat is at left on the ground.  OMG was I ever FAT back then!!  It was seeing such pics of myself that made me work - successfully - back to my normal weight.  WhoozPic, 10-14-07.

WhoozOn1st

#37 sunchaser

sunchaser

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, husband, children & grandchildren. Worship through music, my pets. Archaeology, Ocean, Mountains, camping, cooking & baking. Avid reader, like to learn new things, helping others. (if I can)

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

It certainly is good to hear that Bill is doing so much better. I'm praying for a full & quick recovery!

event.png

Trains we have taken:

California Zephyr- (11 times)-8 Superliner Bedrooms/1 Roomette, 2 Family Bedrooms 

Capitol Limited-(once) Superlner Bedroom   

Cascades-   (6 times) Business Class   

Coast Starlight- (6 times) 6 Superliner Bedrooms

Crescent- (once)Viewliner Bedroom

Heber Creeper- (1)
'I'm packed, tickets in hand, I'm ready to go-Is it train time yet?'
Sunchaser

#38 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,865 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

It is so weird seeing Alan with a flip phone.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#39 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,837 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

HA! 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#40 AlanB

AlanB

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,342 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

Until the current iPhone 3GS, every cell phone that I had ever owned was a Motorola flip phone. I even had a hands free device for my first Motorola flip phone before it was fashionable to have a hands free device. It was this huge, clunky thing that I slipped my phone into and then donned a wired headset. Cost me like $200 IIRC, and it was money well spent!
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users