111 replies to this topic

#1 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

Bill Haithcoat, a long time and extremely knowledgeable AU member, has had a health set-back and is currently in a rehabilitation facility.  According to his sister, with whom I have been in email contact, Bill likely will move to an assisted living facility in the future. Bill hopes that he will be able to attend future AU events and further hopes to meet with AU members who pass through Atlanta, as he has done in the past. I do not have any details regarding the medical condition.

I do not know when Bill will have access to the forum.  However, I, together with all the AU staff, wish Bill a speedy recovery and a quick return to the forum.

Amtrak miles: 199,559; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Autumn Express 2015, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner; Lakeshore Limited (BOS-ALB), Autumn Express 2016, Palmetto.

VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian (westbound), Ocean.

#2 AlanB

AlanB

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,334 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

Get well soon my friend! :)
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#3 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,117 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

Seconded. I had a very nice chat with him at the Gathering in Chicago.

Best wishes and prayers to him and his family.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#4 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

Best wishes from me, as well. I enjoyed meeting him at the Chicago Gathering and hope to see him at future Gatherings. :)

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#5 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

Send him my well-wishes.

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#6 saxman

saxman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, maps, and music

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

Hope you get better Bill.

If you've never met Bill, he is an encyclopedia of former passenger rail routes. Probably the most knowledgeable person I know.
Amtrak Miles: 203,395 (as of 9/21/16)

#7 battalion51

battalion51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,113 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

Best wishes Bill! One of the people who made this forum what it is today.

The Chief
Rail Miles Travelled: 112,496

#8 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,310 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

:hi: All the Best My Friend! Hope to see you back on AU Soon and Along  the Rails in 2014!!!

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#9 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

Wishing Bill all the best!  Always enjoy conversations at the Gatherings and his vast knowledge of railroad history. :)

Amtrak Trains Ridden So Far:
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, 2013 Autumn Express Tour PHL, Silver Star, Sunset Limited -Acela Express-  2015 Autumn Express ALB  - Empire Service      80,129 Amtrak miles & counting     
Via Rail Corridor Trains Cobourg-Ottawa-Montreal,(round trip)  The Ocean (round trip)--   2,250 miles

#10 tp49

tp49

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:27 PM

Bill's a really good guy who I always enjoyed messaging with.  Wishing him all the best!  

#11 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,408 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

I hope for the best for Bill and hope to see him on the rails soon!
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

#12 Dovecote

Dovecote

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:14 PM

Here is to a speedy recovery Bill! I always look forward in seeing and chatting with you when I travel out of Atlanta.

Amtrak Trains Traveled - Acela Express, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Kansas City Mule, Lake Shore Limited, Maple Leaf, Northeast Regional, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, and Vermonter.

#13 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:17 PM

Aloha

Praying for the best for Bill, He is part of my hanai family.

GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks
http://gg-1.smugmug.com/'>Picture Galleries

Posted Image

#14 Shanghai

Shanghai

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:37 AM

Wishing Bill good health and I hope we see him at the next AU Gathering.

Spirit of St Louis, Broadway Limited, Three Rivers, Cardinal, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Star, Pennsylvanian, Keystone, Silver Meteor, Regional, Acela, Capitol Limited, Hoosier State, Texas Eagle, Maple Leaf, Empire Service, Ethan Allen, Eurostar, TGV, BR, Orient Express, Netherlands Rail, SCNF, DSB, Deutsche Bahn, KCRC, MRT, MTR, California Zephyr, Carolinian, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln Service, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, Cascades, Pacific Surfliner, BART, CalTrain, NJ Transit, SEPTA, PATCO, Dinky, MBTA, Downeaster, UTA Trax, Heartland Flyer, Hiawatha, Illinois Zehpyr,Carl Sandburg, Piedmont, Vermonter, Metro North

#15 The Davy Crockett

The Davy Crockett

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,332 posts
  • Interests:The Rails, US History, The Great Outdoors, Good Food

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:47 AM

Bill,

I wish you an 'Acela fast' recovery and that you get 'back on track' soon!

Scott

I wish I was a headlight on a northbound of the border train.

#16 KayBee

KayBee

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Electronics, Hiking, Reading

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

Bill,

Hope you are better soon, and hope to see you back on the rails! :)

Kirk

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Sir Arthur Clarke

#17 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,391 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, politics, history, business, video games, weapons, machinery, and military tactics.

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:48 PM

Hope you get better Bill!

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
DEPLORABLE BIGOT
PROUD HATER OF THE D4505, TD925, AND T2145
MCI 102DL3WC INTERCITY MOTORCOACH SUPREMACY Professional Drivers Commited to Safety 1-800-SAFE-BUS SEATING CAPACITY: 50 PASSENGERS PT70414
TAKE IT EASY  TAKE THE GREYHOUND
OPERATOR: GREYHOUND CANADA TRANSPORTATION CORP. CAGARY, AB NSC-000026177, FHA-MC-304126 TARE 15,000 KGS GVW 20,140 KGS
YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S INTOLERANT, MR. SUB-STANDARD!

#18 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:04 AM

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Mr. Haithcoat!

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x5); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x3); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x1)

VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#19 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,869 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:22 AM

Best wishes Bill!

#20 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,692 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:39 AM

Best wishes to a very knowledgeable man! :) 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users