• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,864 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

Thanks, Benji! :)

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#22 Meat Puppet

Meat Puppet

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

Denville NJ Train station $3 per 24 hours overnight allowed, the best parking deal around. Then a 60 minute ride on new jersey transit to NYC Penn Station.

#23 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,721 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

Or go to KIN and park at the_traveler's place.  :giggle:

That's not as weird as it sounds. But not Kingston, RI (KIN) - there is also a Kingston, NY on the drive on the Thruway!:D But the Amtrak station is right across the Hudson River in Rhinecliff!:P

Edited by the_traveler, 31 January 2014 - 07:28 PM.

Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

#24 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,099 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

Or go to KIN and park at the_traveler's place. :giggle:

That's not as weird as it sounds. But not Kingston, RI (KIN) - there is also a Kingston, NY on the drive on the Thruway!:D But the Amtrak station is right across the Hudson River in Rhinecliff!:P
Maybe that's where the TPS is hiding. :o

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#25 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,801 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

Interesting suggestions. In the past I flew into LGA or JFK and took a taxi or shuttle or black car service to my hotel. From that point on it was mostly subways and walking. One time I decided to shake things up and drive from San Antonio into Manhattan. Everyone said it was a crazy idea that would never work, which only made it more appealing. Once we got to Manhattan we looked at the absurdly expensive parking and decided to just park illegally wherever we went. Eventually on the very last day we got caught. Even though the parking ticket was expensive it was still much cheaper than parking legally would have been.

If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla.

#26 benjibear

benjibear

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

Interesting suggestions. In the past I flew into LGA or JFK and took a taxi or shuttle or black car service to my hotel. From that point on it was mostly subways and walking. One time I decided to shake things up and drive from San Antonio into Manhattan. Everyone said it was a crazy idea that would never work, which only made it more appealing. Once we got to Manhattan we looked at the absurdly expensive parking and decided to just park illegally wherever we went. Eventually on the very last day we got caught. Even though the parking ticket was expensive it was still much cheaper than parking legally would have been.

You are crazy driving into New York. 

#27 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,277 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

Driving in New York is AWESOME!!!

Scared the crap out of my mother one night cutting through town - just blend in and use the horn liberally.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#28 AlanB

AlanB

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,342 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:32 PM

I live in NYC, so of course I have driven here and continue to do so. And I can think of a few other cities that I have driven in that I would prefer not to repeat the experience. Not saying driving in NYC is a picnic; but there are worse places!
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#29 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,864 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

I've driven in Chicago. Many times. Nothing scares me.

One of these days, I want to drive through Boston.  :D  I've heard their streets and traffic are a nightmare.

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#30 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:45 PM

Aloha

I have driven in NYC and it is nothing compared to Las Vegas Driving!

GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks
http://gg-1.smugmug.com/'>Picture Galleries

Posted Image

#31 trainman74

trainman74

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:22 PM

One of these days, I want to drive through Boston.  :D  I've heard their streets and traffic are a nightmare.

I drove through Boston once on a road trip and was a little disappointed -- it didn't seem much worse than any other city in which I'd driven.

Although I stayed at a motel west of downtown along Commonwealth Ave., and was amused in the morning when I asked at the front desk "how do I get to the turnpike from here?", and they handed me a sheet of directions from a big stack they had printed up. (This was a couple years before GPS units and smartphones became relatively widespread.)

Edited by trainman74, 08 February 2014 - 05:24 PM.

#32 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,864 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

I drove through Boston once on a road trip and was a little disappointed -- it didn't seem much worse than any other city in which I'd driven.

Although I stayed at a motel west of downtown along Commonwealth Ave., and was amused in the morning when I asked at the front desk "how do I get to the turnpike from here?", and they handed me a sheet of directions from a big stack they had printed up. (This was a couple years before GPS units and smartphones became relatively widespread.)

That's awesome. :)

#33 Dan O

Dan O

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

Spent a week outside NYC and drove in every day to see the city. My wife doesn't do subways, tunnels or elevators. I loved driving in New York. It was nice to have lookouts for the crazy maneuvers we had to do occasionally--namely cutting across 3 lanes of stopped traffic right before an entrance to a tunnel so we'd avoid the tunnel. Parking was pricey, ranging from $15 (Saturday in the general area of Wall St) to $50 near Saks 5th Avenue/St Patrick's Cathedral on a Sunday AM. I didn't think the traffic was any worse than any major city. Impossible to find street parking spot in Manhattan.

Amtrak miles 13487
Pre-Amtrak train miles 6678

#34 reppin_the_847

reppin_the_847

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:46 PM

Elizabethtown (E-town), PA has free parking.  The Keystone will take you into New York in about 3 hours with multiple trains per day.  I don't know the availability of parking and cost west of Harrisburg on the Pennsylvanian.  East of Harrisburg, E-town is one of the best because all Keystone trains stop which is not true for some other stations.    

I believe E-town has finished it's new long term lot but I haven't parked there in a while.  It is a small town and very safe for keeping your car parked for multiple days.  

In addition to Elizabethtown, I'd also consider the Middletown, PA station just after Harrisburg (along the Keystone).  It is the preceding station to Elizabethtown, and I believe it also has free parking.  Also another tip if you have your passport or passport card in order is to cut through Ontario (Canada) during your drive from Michigan to get to Buffalo or another upstate NY Amtrak station.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users