Quantcast

Coast Starlight incident 12/27/13 - struck someone or not?

45 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Klamath_*

Guest_Klamath_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:08 PM

We were told thru the PA system on the Coast Starlight that our train "struck a trespasser on the track" at the crossing in Chiloquin, Oregon last night around 9:04 PM - were delayed almost 2 hrs and two ambulances plus numerous law enforcement responded; yet there's not a peep in any of the local news... what happened?

#2 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

Nothing to be found... curious. I'd like to know as well (I was on the north bound #14 through there yesterday morning).

#3 BrianPR3

BrianPR3

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:40 AM

while we are here  im on the amtrak status maps  and it shows 11 lost some SIGNIFICIANT TIME between Salinas and pasa robles ca are you on 11 klamath?

-Brian

#4 The Davy Crockett

The Davy Crockett

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts
  • Interests:The Rails, US History, The Great Outdoors, Good Food

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:14 AM

I too come up empty for information on this incident.  It is odd, but there may (or may not, knowing the press) be a reason why this has not surfaced as a news item. 

You saw what you saw and I'd trust that over relying on what the '4th estate' tells, or doesn't tell, us.

Edited by The Davy Crockett, 28 December 2013 - 06:15 AM.

I wish I was a headlight on a northbound train.

#5 Guest_Bill_*

Guest_Bill_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

I was on the train that was involved, too, and can't find a shred of news out there on this incident. I wrote to the Klamath Falls Herald and News (www.heraldandnews.com), which looks like an actively maintained, nearby news org.

#6 The Davy Crockett

The Davy Crockett

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts
  • Interests:The Rails, US History, The Great Outdoors, Good Food

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

I still can't find anything on this. :huh:  :angry2:  :wacko:

Having recently rewatched the movie    :cool: 'Men in Black' :cool: I begin to wonder...

Did the Starlight tangle with a UFO?!? :ph34r:   :o   :ph34r:  

Maybe aliens were confused by the name of the train and thought there were fellow aliens aboard and the the train could stop as quickly as one of their vessels? :unsure:   :rolleyes:

I'll check the tabloids for news when I go grocery shopping tomorrow. :blink:  :rolleyes:

Edited by The Davy Crockett, 28 December 2013 - 07:02 PM.

I wish I was a headlight on a northbound train.

#7 roomette

roomette

Conductor

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

Sometimes the person struck is insignificant.  Who would care?

#8 June the Coach Rider

June the Coach Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Interests:Disabled, so interests are mainly watching sports or traveling by train.

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:58 PM

NO ONE is insignificant, everyone counts for something and to someone. This was a very uncaring statement.

#9 gmushial

gmushial

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • Interests:Mtn climbing, gardening, software writing... and increasingly: trains.

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:09 PM

NO ONE is insignificant, everyone counts for something and to someone. This was a very uncaring statement.

I'm not sure what the appropriate approach is to this type of posting (not yours, his)...  but I find it particularly lamentable when a few bad apples can spoil the sense of community that makes this forum special.   :-(

#10 roomette

roomette

Conductor

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

I'm just verclemped because I feel "amtrak LIES" is a fine title for a thread and should never be locked.

#11 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,047 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:35 PM

NO ONE is insignificant, everyone counts for something and to someone.

Even if 99.99% of the world's population was significant in some way that would still leave us with 700,000 insignificant people. Is that being uncaring or simply realistic?

Any views expressed are my own and do not represent the views of my employer, parent companies, partners, or subsidiaries.

Over 50,000 people just like you recently signed a petition to expand high speed passenger rail in the United States of America.

Long live The Coast Starlight, The California Zephyr, The Empire Builder, The Southwest Chief, and The Canadian.

#12 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:47 PM

Ever wonder if it was a suicide?

Not to be cold-hearted, BUT:

If it was indeed a suicide, and such an act was now deemed to be so bad and unfortunate as to NOT be reported in the newspaper/live news/media in general, that over time someone looking to end their life in a "blaze of glory" and get their name in the paper might reconsider the act if that last bit of fame was no longer part of the public response?

Just taking my turn in the Devil's Advocate seat (not to discredit you, DA. ;))

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x20); California Zephyr (x5); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x3); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x5); San Joaquin (x7); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x1)

VIA Rail
Ocean (x3); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#13 roomette

roomette

Conductor

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:57 PM

Ever wonder if it was a suicide?

Not to be cold-hearted, BUT:

If it was indeed a suicide, and such an act was now deemed to be so bad and unfortunate as to NOT be reported in the newspaper/live news/media in general, that over time someone looking to end their life in a "blaze of glory" and get their name in the paper might reconsider the act if that last bit of fame was no longer part of the public response?

Just taking my turn in the Devil's Advocate seat (not to discredit you, DA. ;))

This was a very uncaring statement.

#14 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:38 AM

I just realized I had my date wrong - it occurred at 9:04PM on December 26, 2013.  Yes; we considered a suicide - so very dark in that stretch.  There's always speculation (especially with a full train sitting around for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs in one place in the middle of nowhere)... but someone heard an Amtrak employee saying 'there was a rumor about a fight at the crossing and someone pushing someone else into the train's path and there were reportedly witnesses to this' ... for so many (for Chiloquin it was many) emergency response folks to be involved, I am puzzled that there still has been NOTHING in the news in this connection.  The train was running early into Klamath before the accident; but it still had to be delayed overall.  I too messaged the Herald & News on their facebook page; but no reply.  I don't ride Amtrak that often; but this just seems very odd from the standpoint of Amtrak AND the local authorities not to report something on this.

#15 June the Coach Rider

June the Coach Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Interests:Disabled, so interests are mainly watching sports or traveling by train.

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

I just had a thought, if the PA announcement said only that the train hit a trespasser, I wonder if it was a trespasser of the non-human kind, like a dog or deer. This would not make the news, but could cause a delay for the usual paperwork and checking the train for damage. Not sure it would take 2 hours, but it is another idea as to why there was no news about it.

#16 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,873 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, baking, history, architecture, urban exploration/decay

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

They say "deer" when it's a deer. Deer can't technically trespass.
Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Crescent, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine
Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra (RTA), Chicago L (CTA), Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC (WMATA)

#17 RyanS

RyanS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,189 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

Hundreds of people are killed by trains every year - it isn't surprising that not all of them are documented in news stories.
TrainSig.jpg

#18 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:04 PM

June, did you miss the part about ambulances?

006b86872e.png

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Booked:  Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)

#19 June the Coach Rider

June the Coach Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

June, did you miss the part about ambulances?

Yes, I forgot about that part. Never mind, that is what happens when you post without enough coffee in the morning.

#20 Guest_Bill_*

Guest_Bill_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:47 PM

Here's a little more detail on my experience as a passenger:

The train came to a sudden, unannounced stop in a small Oregon town (Chiloquin) at around 9pm, Thursday 10/26/13. Someone got on the public address system to tell us that the train had just hit a person on the track, and that first responders had been called. 

Shortly thereafter a lot of people were walking around outside the train with flashlights, seemingly looking everywhere. Then I noticed emergency lights a couple of blocks away, reflected off a building. From the building arose a column of either smoke or vapor. Shortly after that the road toward the lights was blocked with flares. 

Eventually (a half hour after our stop? seemed like a long time!) a medic truck pulled up alongside the train with lights flashing, and then left a few minutes later. Our attendant told us that the man removed was still breathing – the first time a victim has been that lucky in her experience. (She guessed it was the fourth such incident in her career ... not sure how many years.)

After another hour or so of people walking around with flashlights, seemingly looking for something they knew must be there but couldn’t be found, the train resumed without a word about the incident or the victim – just the news that they’d be trying to make up the lost time.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users