Eugene station bathrooms

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter KG6LSE

Lead Service Attendant
I am at the station right now wating for the CS to head home to Portland .

I went to the mens room and the doors on the stalls are all removed.

I asked the gate agent Why and he said " city removed them " I asked him why " People shoot up in there ".

this may be a ADA violation on the part of the city and amtrak .

not to mention its a VERY bad image to have for a MAIN station , this is not some messed up porta jon at a * amSlab* some where l......... EUG is a main full service station ....... No excuse .

ill be calling Cust service as soon as I am on the train .

Peter.....

:eek: I'm not a Lawyer but I think you may be right that this Violates Laws about Privacy??? I know at one time here in Austin they did this in the Bathrooms of Public Parks where Vandals, Loiterers and Drug Dealers etc. used them as Places of Business but the City

was Sued and told they had to Re-Install the Doors! Let us know what Amtrak says? (Is this an Amtrak or Government Owned Station???)

on phone with them .......... no help here but I am gonna make shure its all taking care of ASAP......

O k I confronted the gate agent again ..

I asked him If there was a staff bathroom I can use ......... He said no.....

So Yes I am going to file a formal complainte ........... Its very cold and slippery and I have very little leg stringht today as I had to shovel the driveway at my folks house .

Thank you Jim ...... Iam also no lawyer but I can smell BS a mile away .......

Eugene Does have some serious drug problems Meth and pot . but at no point should I have to deal with this ................

This is a new Low for amtrack standards....... i can take late and take grumpy empolyees but some things are just not OK .............

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT at 12 PM I asked a 2ed agent to just hold my carry ons while I went to search for a bathroom in town near by ... At first she wanted to charge me a hold fee .......( oh that is Really Gutsy !

Umm charging for ADA is a HUGE no no .......... that is the best way to Really invite a lawsuit .

i told her " Mam so yoiu are asking ME to pay to FInd a restroom cause I cant drag my carry ons . as I have have 2 Knee surgerys ..... ........ that sounds discriminatory

She then Had I idea .......

check my bags and then un chek them so that "the system " was no going to yell at her.. so she eneded no

not charging me to hold my suitcase for a few min to find the restroom ... she got a nice tip ! .......

I found a restroom at a bar down the street and just bought a coffee to make them happy ....

so I am not gonna need a Loo for a few hours .

OK crises avoided .......... I pity the fool whom needs to use the restroom in Eugene..

In other news ......... the train is 2H late ................... Goodie

Iam certin the dude whom I had to deal with at first is not tooo pleased with me and Iam stuck here .

Oy .............

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot find anything specific to restroom stall doors in the 2010 version of Federal ADA rules, other than their dimension and lock hardware requirements. Nothing stands out as saying doors are required, but then again at this point I imagine stall doors are almost a given in most people's minds.

All the same, I'd be pretty miffed at there being no doors. They should put them back up, law or otherwise.

NO but not having doors is the issue .... then charging for the service IS .

I have not checked the womens room . but there is a issues with sexual discrimination

Ladys ! DO you want to take care of you month to month " issues " in a open stall ......

also there were NO doors TO the restroom

If there are doors to the womens one stalls then its a huge sexual discrimination issue too.

speking of sexual discrimination

some one might get a bogus sexual offender as there is now no way to hide ones self to take a #2 .

Lane Co PD are not known to be the the states Finest in reasoning ..

If the reason was drugs then how the heck does the lack of doors solve Anything ...

It IS eugene and lane Co . whom are SO smart ! * rolls eyes * the only saveing grace to this city is the College .

HA ADA does not care much ....but OSHA does !

http://www.humanresourceblog.com/2008/11/10/can-employer-remove-bathroom-stall-doors/

and OHSA can Really hit hard !

7K per fine ....

remember I asked If ther was a restroom somewhere else in the statoin .

this makes the Loo here the only one and the one the employees have to use .

I have them backed in to a Legal corner ...

no where to run or hide per law ..

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2013-title29-vol5/xml/CFR-2013-title29-vol5-sec1910-141.xml

Gov site so I I am not gonna bother with the copyright stuff ... hate me if you want

""(2) Construction of toilet rooms. (i) Each water closet shall occupy a separate compartment with a door and walls or partitions between fixtures sufficiently high to assure privacy.""""

there are 3 emolyees and 2 are women .....

there are 2 normal cans and a few uninals . in the mens .

the law states there needs to be a door and wall IF there is more then one can to sit on .....

so the people need to remove the 2ed can or put the doors back on it .

OSHA likes to make money ......... I know this as my college was allwas in a knot to make them happy . some students made a fuss about a power cord in the student break room at my past in Iowa . and OSHA was there the next week .

We narrowly avoided a few grand fine .

Second the UPC code here might have some laws on this ..... I want no wars . just the next time I come here the batrooms are easy to use and not in such a sad state ..

And Iam gonna bring up the issue with people whom are transgender and there privacy

the State of New Jersy has made it a mandate to protect everyone.... Iam gonna see if Oregon has this too ,

If there is a problem with drug users in the bathroom, then maybe it is time for an attendant or a lock on the door where you have to show a ticket to use. put a porta potty outside for those that can't show their ticket.

May not be the best idea, but could work.

I thought of this tool but as the Bldg is kinda public there is a issue with showing Tix to use the bathroom inside

My dad works near by for U of O and His Bldg He works in as its funded public any one can come in and use the restrooms and many of the non students make a huge mess but untill there is a public disturbance there is not much they can do .

I found this of the site called American Association of Public Rest Rooms....................................

ADA Accessibility

• The ADA or Americans with Disabilities Act's intent when enacted in 1990 was to improve the accessibility of public areas and service to people living with serious disabilities in an effort to help them continue to be productive members of society. Making public restrooms readily accessible and usable to people with disabilities is a part of that. The ADA requires the height of toilets to be reasonable for wheelchair access, ranging between 17 and 19 inches in height. It also requires such conditions as "clear floor space" for movement, grab bars for stabilization, certain flush controls and reachable toilet paper dispensers.
Read more: http://www.ehow.com/list_6799986_rules-regulations-business-public-restrooms.html#ixzz2mqOlnTc2

I found this about the Train Station in Eugene.............

The station was built in 1908 by the Southern Pacific Railroad and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Southern Pacific Passenger Depot in 2007.[4]

The current station is the third passenger depot built at this location.[2] Built of masonry, it is one of five masonry depots that still exist along the original Southern Pacific West Coast line. The other depots are in Albany, Medford, Roseburg and Salem.[5] A $1.3 million restoration project was completed in 2004.

See also Opened 1908 Rebuilt 2004 Accessible Station code EUG Owned byCity of Eugene
Eugene has an very high homeless community. Homeless folks sleep in downtown doorways, parks and anywhere else they can. Eugene is very tolerant and understanding of these folks. I can understand some issues with a downtown public facility. The station is secured after the 5pm CS.

EugDepot_South.JPG

yup .. that is EUG allright . and Yes I am very aware of the homeless . my mom helps out at the warming centers .

While there is a drug issues in eugene . at no point should it ever muck with people at a train station .

If all of U of O can find a way . so can the city .......

Austin or some other municipality may have local regulations, but there is no Federal statute (and no state statues I could find) that guarantee privacy, such as a door, in a public restroom. I have been in numerous stadiums, rest stops, schools, etc., where the stalls do not have doors (in many cases they were built without them).

As a former ADA compliance inspector for a city in California, I can assure you that not only does the ADA not require them, in some cases, to be ADA compliant, restrooms have stalls removed entirely. Privacy is a convenience, but not guaranteed in any public place; accessibility, on the other hand, is a necessity.

Also, given the dozens of businesses around the station area in Eugene, I cannot imagine that it would be that challenging to find a restroom with a stall or locking door.

OK to reduce the confusion

AT GUEST WITH NO NAME SIR OR MAAM

IF you were to read the ENTER thread we all Ready nixed the ADA as not applicable ....... so please do us all a favor and read the entire thread ...... BlackWolf on post 5 broght it up .

I am now at the point of OSHA ...... and THEY do require them . I consulted a lawyer whom is one of the top in the nation his quick reading agrees ..... the station casue it has more then one stall needs a door on the said stalls ..... ..

. Lucky me he is on retainer for a non ADA issue that I am unable to discuss .....

Lets set a few facts

My carry on has no wheels ....

I cant walk very far with a load .. let alone on ice .

I have nuropathy and a rebuit Knee .. Unless I was to leave my case IN the station I had no way to get any where to use the can .

Oh and there is a thing called doing what is right ..

Ohh tel me good sir hoe come the young dude there had no clue and did not care but the older lady in her 60s FOUND a way to help me and do it with in the contorted system of Amtrak . sounds like she Knows the system way better and can solve things . not be a Brick in the wall ........

I my job in life is to FIX things and its what i am paid to do .... I solve many problems from computers to cars... and Yes some times personal probems ...........

There are a Number of things that were done wrong and one done right and one done right for goood

the trick the lady did for me was the best they could do .......... however .....

Like other have said ........ Keys are a option . so are better People ........

Sir , People Solve problems ...... not laws and doors........

What I am getting at is that all the laws can do is force people . and this ties in with the thread on amtrak and its consistancy .. how come the young man blew me off but the older and ill bet more senior woman was able to solve a quick FIx .....

Heck give me a AmTowel to hang Over the stall door ...

Or cones to put in front of the 2 can 2 urinal bathroom so that no one came in .

Or stand guard there ........

not all are pracical but they are there and heck a simple one was to hold my bags so I can find a can .

Helll FORGET UNIONS or Management ot the AmGuide ..... If I was at the conter and a paying pax was in my shooes I would totaly hold his bag no charge ........ I would feel sorry for the way MY station is ran and how crappy it is ......... fire me I dont care ....... My etitics are FAR to good for that stuff

you know I worked retail Years ago at a small electroincs store in Cali . and you know what .. Years YEARS after I left and was in full swing College the people I helped Would call see when I work next to come on in on those days ..........

By being a polite and honist sales person I made more in Long term sales then those whom were HIgh pressure ! ..........

As I was told the City did this ,,,,,,,,,, I have some connections in Lane Co and Ill be chatting with them soon ..........

Sir!

I have been there.

I have used the restroom facility

I found no issues with it.

I read the entire thread and I felt like posting what I posted and if you don't like it, too bad.

Here is another valuable tool for you to fix things and bully for you!

The City Manager's Office
125 E. 8th Avenue, 2nd Floor
Eugene, OR 97401
Ph: 541-682-5010
Fx: 541-682-5414

The Honorable Kitty Piercy
125 East 8th Avenue, 2nd Floor
Eugene, OR 97401
Ph: 541-682-5010

I have been in numerous stadiums, rest stops, schools, etc., where the stalls do not have doors (in many cases they were built without them).
My old high school didn't have doors on the stalls in the boys' rooms. I have no idea about the girls' rooms. Though, as mentioned, any reason to not have doors on the stalls, regardless of what it was, should apply equally to both bathrooms otherwise the difference would be gender based discrimination.

Though, I have to wonder if such is still true today. Schools are obsessed with student's personal privacy. I know they shut down the group/gang showers in the locker room due to them not offering privacy, using the space now as a storeroom.

OK to reduce the confusion

AT GUEST WITH NO NAME SIR OR MAAM

IF you were to read the ENTER thread we all Ready nixed the ADA as not applicable ....... so please do us all a favor and read the entire thread ...... BlackWolf on post 5 broght it up .

I am now at the point of OSHA ...... and THEY do require them . I consulted a lawyer whom is one of the top in the nation his quick reading agrees ..... the station casue it has more then one stall needs a door on the said stalls ..... ..

. Lucky me he is on retainer for a non ADA issue that I am unable to discuss .....

Lets set a few facts

My carry on has no wheels ....

I cant walk very far with a load .. let alone on ice .

I have nuropathy and a rebuit Knee .. Unless I was to leave my case IN the station I had no way to get any where to use the can .

Oh and there is a thing called doing what is right ..

Ohh tel me good sir hoe come the young dude there had no clue and did not care but the older lady in her 60s FOUND a way to help me and do it with in the contorted system of Amtrak . sounds like she Knows the system way better and can solve things . not be a Brick in the wall ........

I my job in life is to FIX things and its what i am paid to do .... I solve many problems from computers to cars... and Yes some times personal probems ...........

There are a Number of things that were done wrong and one done right and one done right for goood

the trick the lady did for me was the best they could do .......... however .....

Like other have said ........ Keys are a option . so are better People ........

Sir , People Solve problems ...... not laws and doors........

What I am getting at is that all the laws can do is force people . and this ties in with the thread on amtrak and its consistancy .. how come the young man blew me off but the older and ill bet more senior woman was able to solve a quick FIx .....

Heck give me a AmTowel to hang Over the stall door ...

Or cones to put in front of the 2 can 2 urinal bathroom so that no one came in .

Or stand guard there ........

not all are pracical but they are there and heck a simple one was to hold my bags so I can find a can .

Helll FORGET UNIONS or Management ot the AmGuide ..... If I was at the conter and a paying pax was in my shooes I would totaly hold his bag no charge ........ I would feel sorry for the way MY station is ran and how crappy it is ......... fire me I dont care ....... My etitics are FAR to good for that stuff

you know I worked retail Years ago at a small electroincs store in Cali . and you know what .. Years YEARS after I left and was in full swing College the people I helped Would call see when I work next to come on in on those days ..........

By being a polite and honist sales person I made more in Long term sales then those whom were HIgh pressure ! ..........

As I was told the City did this ,,,,,,,,,, I have some connections in Lane Co and Ill be chatting with them soon ..........
Getty this upset when people are discussing a topic seems a little much to me. If you are so included to complain to the city of Eugene, maybe a spell check would be in order so your complaint is taken seriously. Sorry to bring it up, but it makes your post VERY hard to read when I have to spend time trying to figure out what word you meant by what you typed.

What does OSHA have to do with it? OSHA is about workplace safety for employees and has nothing to do with the traveling public.

Some women's restroom stalls also lack doors, especially in places where kids hang out, like beaches and parks. Women who use these places keep their eyes off other women going in and out, no big deal.

Some Amtrak stations require tokens to get in, a nuisance, I'd rather they remove the doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back