Dining car in Russian train destroyed by fire, no injuries

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Train Brest - Moscow delayed Zhabinka due to fire in the dining car
Ministry of Emergency Situations said that a passenger train number 8 includes seven cars.Buffet car consists of four coupe and buffet. Just train were 89 passengers and 15 people staff (Russian citizens). Presumed cause of the fire is a short circuit in the electrical panel buffet car.2 December at 17.40 composition departed from Brest, in 17.58 he was stopped. Locomotive driver before arriving emergency services produced uncoupling of (head of - 2 cars, with the tail of - 4 cars). At 18.35, after de-energization of the contact line units MOE began to extinguish.Within two minutes the fire was localized and soon eliminated. No one is hurt. The fire destroyed the fire room buffet car, damaged interior of the car throughout the area.
Google Translate version of http://news.tut.by/accidents/377188.html

I'm impressed by how quickly the line was put back into service after the fire was extinguished:

17:40 train leaves Brest

17:58 train stops, and the locomotive crew splits the train

18:35 the power is shut off to the catenary

18:37 the fire is out

20:00 a locomotive (diesel, I guess) tows the two parts of the train into Zhabinka station

20:30 traffic is restored on the line (which I imagine requires restoring power to the catenary).

I doubt things would happen that quickly with Amtrak.

Back