30 replies to this topic

#21 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:42 AM

Is there anything especially worth seeing or doing in the immediate vicinity of LAX? What's the area like? Or should one head straight for the destinations mentioned upthread?

#22 Alice

Alice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:41 AM

Yes, kind of, on the same side of LA but not immediate vicinity, look at a map. The Automobile Driving Museum in El Segundo takes the cars out and gives people rides every Sunday afternoon. They operate like a normal car museum the rest of the week. The guy who started it likes Packards and he or his son is often around for a fun talk. Even when they are not having a special event, other Packard owners will often bring their project cars by to talk cars with anyone they can snag. They are very near a Metro stop. The museum is in a commercial area that is pretty abandoned on weekends, the reason that is a good time to take out the cars.

If you do any wandering around, the old section of El Segundo (near the refinery) is pretty interesting and has some good places to eat/drink. Old Town Music Hall shows old movies and has concerts, especially ragtime. The owner retired from the film industry a long time ago and still plays the organ, although he doesn't have the stamina he used to so no more silent double features. The newer section of El Segundo is blocks and blocks of boring chains and subdivisions. All of it is safe to walk, at least I've never felt uncomfortable.

#23 trainman74

trainman74

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:43 PM

I've heard good things about the Flight Path Learning Center (in the Imperial Terminal at LAX) as well.

#24 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,391 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, politics, history, business, video games, weapons, machinery, and military tactics.

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:17 AM

I'm going to be in Los Angeles in December. Don't know how many days I'll be staying yet. I'm not a beach person but I like some good scenery. I'm strictly running no-car so I have to be able to access it by transit.

I thought maybe one option would be going to Pacific Palisades on the 2 and then to Malibu on the 534. Or maybe I should go south to Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Long Beach, etc. Or maybe ride the Gold Line to Pasadena. Or Metrolink Antelope Valley Line? Or 761 Sepulveda? Or Venice Canals? 90/91 Foothill?

I'm very confused. So many options! And suggestions? Thanks.

Edited by Swadian Hardcore, 29 November 2014 - 02:18 AM.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
DEPLORABLE BIGOT
PROUD HATER OF THE D4505, TD925, AND T2145
MCI 102DL3WC INTERCITY MOTORCOACH SUPREMACY Professional Drivers Commited to Safety 1-800-SAFE-BUS SEATING CAPACITY: 50 PASSENGERS PT70414
TAKE IT EASY  TAKE THE GREYHOUND
OPERATOR: GREYHOUND CANADA TRANSPORTATION CORP. CAGARY, AB NSC-000026177, FHA-MC-304126 TARE 15,000 KGS GVW 20,140 KGS
YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S INTOLERANT, MR. SUB-STANDARD!

#25 Alice

Alice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:07 PM

The New York Times travel section has a fairly detailed article with many good ideas:

"Los Angeles, as a Pedestrian" by Stephanie Rosenbloom, Dec 19, 2014

#26 calwatch

calwatch

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:49 PM

I'm going to be in Los Angeles in December. Don't know how many days I'll be staying yet. I'm not a beach person but I like some good scenery. I'm strictly running no-car so I have to be able to access it by transit.

I thought maybe one option would be going to Pacific Palisades on the 2 and then to Malibu on the 534. Or maybe I should go south to Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Long Beach, etc. Or maybe ride the Gold Line to Pasadena. Or Metrolink Antelope Valley Line? Or 761 Sepulveda? Or Venice Canals? 90/91 Foothill?

I'm very confused. So many options! And suggestions? Thanks.

Try some of the routes to Griffith Park (the 96 and the Observatory Shuttle), Baldwin Hills (217 and the Baldwin Hills Link shuttle from the Expo Line), Antelope Valley Line through the rural Santa Clara River Valley, and the 234/734 to Getty Center. 

#27 Bjartmarr

Bjartmarr

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:42 PM

If you are hungry and have a layover of at least an hour at LAUS, consider walking up the street a few blocks to Chinatown.

Good choices are Little Jewel (authentic New Orleans food, $10-15); Buu Dien (vietnamese sandwiches, $3, great to take with you on the train); and Yum Cha (dim sum, $1-2, also great to take on the train). All three of these are within a block of each other, so you can mix and match.

I was underwhelmed by Phillippes. Mushy beef on soggy bread. I think it's one of those things -- like Tito's and Tommy's -- where the best part is remembering your dad taking you there when you were seven years old.

#28 Alice

Alice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:36 PM

Thanks to the RailPAC newsletter for this gem. It is a book review of "Loving L.A. The Low Carbon Way" by Grace Moremen and Jacqueline Chase.

Includes a link to the book's website with sample pages and also mentions a couple of other resources for things to see in LA and how to get there car-free.  ($15 paperback Amazon)

Here is where the bookstore photo was taken.

#29 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:51 AM

LA Union Station Jan 23 ... 

There's A Wine Fest With Food Trucks And Music Heading To Union Station

http://laist.com/201...ion_station.php

John...

22,913 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#30 NW cannonball

NW cannonball

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts
  • Interests:People and places
    Justice
    Transport economics
    Techie stuff
    Grandchildren

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:37 AM

Phillipe's delivers says LA times Philippes delivers

For the many of you who have posted that Phillipe's is a must-visit food place near LAUS.

The LA times article doesn't specify the delivery charge to  LAUS, but it might be a good way to try the Famous French Dip between trains :)

Edited by NW cannonball, 21 May 2016 - 01:44 AM.

Trains experienced:

AMTRAK - Empire Builder, SW Chief, Coast Starlight, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Capital Limited, NER, Silver Star, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades.

Great Northern - Winnipegger, Red River, Empire Builder.

NYC - Pacemaker

Commuter lines - NM RailRunner, Metra, Northstar

outside USA - NS, DB, ÖBB, JR (Tokaido & Sanyo shinkansen, JRE (Tokyo area), JR Shikoku

#31 maxbuskirk

maxbuskirk

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:Math, old train schedules

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:42 PM

They have great apple pie too.

I have ridden Cascades #516 (SEA-STW), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-SLO), Southwest Chief #4 (LAX-CHI), Cardinal #50 (CHI-NYP), Northeast Regional #85 (NYP-WAS), Capitol Limited #30 (HFY-WAS), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-PDX), and many Pacific Surfliners with Amtrak. I have seen, including the previous, California Zephyr #5 at SAC (with luck), what I guess to be Crescent #19 (at WAS) and Silver Meteor #97 (at WAS), and Empire Builder #28 at PDX. I have also ridden the Hokutosei in Japan, Ueno - Sapporo (now discontinued).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users