30 replies to this topic

#1 WhoozOn1st

WhoozOn1st

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

First, it's difficult to believe that in the 2+ years of this subforum nobody's yet begun an L.A. topic.

Here's a Los Angeles Times guide to Union Station and its neighborhood.  There's a story, a brief video, a timeline of the station's history, and probably most helpful for new arrivals an interactive map of places to eat and things to do near Union Station.  Most are walking distance or one stop away by light rail; at most a short cab ride (taxis are always right out front).  Clicking on listed places yields short descriptions, photos, telephone numbers, and directions as well as pinpointing locations on the map.

Postcards From the West: Union Station -- http://www.latimes.c...y#axzz2lbxNPajC

1341421847-aerial-view-la-union-station-

Edited by WhoozOn1st, 24 November 2013 - 07:35 PM.

WhoozOn1st

#2 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:02 PM

:hi: Good Job Patrick! I'm Shocked also that No-one had done LA!!!! :o

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#3 Guest_Gary_*

Guest_Gary_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

Long ago, and far away, I purchased tickets at the concourse when it was still operated by Amtrak. They have spruced the station up some. Phillipe's the Original is very close and a must see in LA. The pie is very good.

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:37 PM

The LAX Flywaway Bus provides non-stop service from Union Station to all airport terinals 24/7. Service operates every 20-60 minutes. Travel time is 30-40 min. using the express lanes on the freeways.

#5 Guest_LAXtraveler_*

Guest_LAXtraveler_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:10 PM

This is sort of a trip report, but I want to contribute on how you can can get around in LA.  

I am here in LA on a trip, but I found a free day to explore.  I always wanted to get as much metro "rail" in, in a day, so that's what I did (and putting in an Amtrak segment along the way).  Notice that I've quoted "rail" because silver and orange lines ain't rail.  I'm staying near LAX (the airport), so my "home" station is green line LAX station.  Here it goes 

Leg 1 - Green Line

Green line from LAX to Harbor Freeway station.  To transfer to Silver line.

Leg 2- Silver Line

Silver line is a bus (like Boston, come to think of it).  It's fast when no traffic, but costs more than usual rail fare, and not too comfortable (and cannot really have luggage as this is basically a city bus). I wanted to transfer to Red line.  I had an option of transferring at the 7th St Metro Center or Union Station.  I opted for the 7th St.  Transfer was super easy (the Metro Center station right at the Silver bus stop).

Leg 3 - Red Line

Boarded at the 7th.  Went all the way to North Hollywood.  Intended to transfer to Orange line.  Again, the transfer at North Hollywood was super easy.  Many people on the train, most got off at Hollywood stops and Universal Studio (tourist-y places).

Leg 4 - Orange Line

Another bus. Wanted to go to Chatsworth.  Bus lane all the way, so no traffic.  Wondered why they didn't convert it to light rail, or trolley.  Train ride is so much better.

Leg 5 - Amtrak Pac Surf Liner

Now an Amtrak!  I actually was ticketed for later time the same day, but the conductor accepted it without a blink of an eye.  So if I can contribute anything, here it goes: yes, you can buy an unreserved ticket for a later time and use it on an earlier train the same day.  Got off at LAX (union station).

Leg 6 - Red/Purple Line

On the way back, I wanted to go with a different route.  Specifically Blue to Green transfer.  But to do so, you must first take the Red line or the bus to 7th St Metro Center.  So I just hopped on the first train to the 7th St.

Leg 7 - Blue Line

Boarded at the 7th St. Went to Willowbrook station to transfer to Green line.  The rumors are true that people are always trying to sell you stuff  :D.  It's actually not too bad, but it does have a bad rep.

Leg 8 - Green Line 

Willowbrook to LAX.  Final leg.

There you have it.  The cost:  $13.50 AAA Amtrak fare CWT-LAX, plus just $5 Metro day pass.  That's it!!  :cool: Could have been lower if I wanted to take Metro bus/rail instead of Amtrak, or just take the Metrolink, but I wanted to get some rail points for my trouble (and cash in on Double Days).

Of course, during my stop at the Union Station, I went to Philippe.

Another place you can get to with Metro Rail: Langer's Deli.  Red line to MacArthur Park.  Not the greatest neighborhood, but I like the food.  Some called it better than even NY delis (them's a fighting words, I know).

Also, you can hit all of Chinatown, Little Tokyo and Koreatown, all within the reach of Metro Rail.  Chinatown (old original one) is practically next to Union Station.  Little Tokyo is one stop away from LAUPT (red/purple line).  Koreatown is along the Purple line (any stop with "Wilshire" on its name).  Some of the most excellent foods in all locations!

Oh, I guess I could have also used LAX Flyaway as above poster mentioned, but then where the fun?  :P

#6 Guest_LAXtraveler_*

Guest_LAXtraveler_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:07 PM

Almost forgot.  Another gem not far from the Union Station is the Grand Central Market.  Right across the street from Angel's Flight.  Two stops from Union Station (Pershing Sq).  If nothing else, the restaurants form this place are cheap!  I find the quality to be pretty good as well.

#7 joolsstone

joolsstone

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:47 AM

Hi, that's a good find, thanks! Hope it's ok to ask a few quick Qs here?

We get into LA on the Sunset at 6am. First time visitors. Want to avoid an extra hotel night if poss. Any suggestions for where to go / what to do at that time of day when prob still waking up?

We are not much bothered about ticking off all the sights and realise it's a big, spread out city that's not the best place to discover on foot and we don't drive. Is there a good bus tour that takes in Hollywood / Santa Monica etc?

Also we plan to stay downtown, as we've only got 1 night in LA, so any suggestions for reasonable hotels that are at least convenient for Union Station (affordable taxi or simple bus journey away etc) and in reliably safe areas? Have heard that areas in donwtown can vary a lot.

I was thinking of the Mexican market area near Olvera, are there any decent hotels round there, or Little Tokyo / Chiantown maybe? Or are we better sticking to the historical core / financial district?

Sorry for the bombard, and thanks! :)

Jools

#8 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:10 PM

Boy are you in luck! Just across the street from Union Station is the Metro Plaza, a clean, reasonable, friendly hotel well liked by rail fans! Google it up and if you like it book it!

Just a couple of blocks away I'd the Famous "Pilippe,the Original" Wonderful breakfasts, inventor of French dip sandwiches ( the Lamb is outstanding!) and Deli food! Google this one up too, you'll like it!

Olvera Street and Chinatown surround Union Station !( Chinatown was moved to build Union Station in the 1930s!)

As for Hollywood, the Red Line Subway runs from Union Station to Hollywood and Vine St. It also makes stops Downtown @ Pershing Square on the way, definitely worth a look around! ( in the daylight is best,lots of strange night life out in the dark!)

Union Station itself is Beautiful and the New Metro Lounge is available to Sleeping Car and Business Class passengers as an Oasis and Luggage storage place for those ticketed that are coming and going on Amtrak!

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#9 calwatch

calwatch

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:12 PM

Chinatown has a Best Western and higher end hotels are in Little Tokyo. Use Tripadvisor or Yelp to get general perspectives of quality; however Metro Plaza Hotel is general considered a good value, but not on the level of a big chain hotel.

#10 leemell

leemell

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:00 PM

Also, you can hit all of Chinatown, Little Tokyo and Koreatown, all within the reach of Metro Rail.  Chinatown (old original one) is practically next to Union Station.  Little Tokyo is one stop away from LAUPT (red/purple line).  Koreatown is along the Purple line (any stop with "Wilshire" on its name).  Some of the most excellent foods in all locations!

One minor nit --- the official name for the  station is Los Angeles Union Station --- LAUS.  The owners changed the name to match what every one called it a several years ago.

#11 NW cannonball

NW cannonball

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts
  • Interests:People and places
    Justice
    Transport economics
    Techie stuff
    Grandchildren

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

The Station -- LAUS -- totally what train station (and bus, and metro and and airport (Flyaway bus)
The courtyard alone is worth a rave or two. And Phillipes nearby.

Been there twice from old mid-america --

It's not Grand Central - no oysters - but -- this station is really really classic, and really really a place to lay over if you want to.

Trains experienced:

AMTRAK - Empire Builder, SW Chief, Coast Starlight, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Capital Limited, NER, Silver Star, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades.

Great Northern - Winnipegger, Red River, Empire Builder.

NYC - Pacemaker

Commuter lines - NM RailRunner, Metra, Northstar

outside USA - NS, DB, ÖBB, JR (Tokaido & Sanyo shinkansen, JRE (Tokyo area), JR Shikoku

#12 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:32 PM

Long-term parking is available at the "East Portal" of the station by the Patsaouras Transit Plaza ...underground and relatively secure for $6 per day.

Pretty hard to better than that! We use it for our long-distance trips.

John...

22,913 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

6489 more miles booked

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#13 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:25 PM

And just a short walk away from Union Station is the famous City Hall that everyone knows from movies and right by there is Parker Center which served as LAPD HQ from 1954 until 2009.  If you watched more than a couple episodes of Dragnet you know that place as well! 

#14 joolsstone

joolsstone

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:00 AM

Thanks everyone! I love this forum, everyone's so helpful! :) I'll def check out Philippe's and the Metro Lounge.

#15 shelzp

shelzp

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:35 PM

Thanks everyone! I love this forum, everyone's so helpful! :) I'll def check out Philippe's and the Metro Lounge.

I haven't taken bus tours of the city since I live here but I do see different ones picking people up in Hollywood at Graumann's Theater which is super easy to get to from LAUS. You take the LA Redline Subway which originates at LAUS and get off at the Hollywood/Highland stop and you're right there. I think there are Grayline tours and Hop On Hop Off types among others. (I am letting you know that getting to Hollywood is easy!!) :)

#16 City of Miami

City of Miami

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:03 PM

Don't overlook the Dash buses that scoot around downtown - 50 cents last time I was there. http://www.ladottransit.com/dash/ At least 1 line stops at Union Station.

I have gotten the Miyako in Japantown a couple of times on Priceline under $100 - quite a few cuts above the Metroplaza or whatever it's called.

The RBT on Wiltshire whisks you to Santa Monica and Venice Beach. A ride on the gold line to Pasadena is fun.

Experiencela.com has been very helpful to me - check it out!

Edited by City of Miami, 15 September 2014 - 04:20 PM.

#17 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts
  • Location:Colfax, WA (CFX)---Hey, it's only an Amtrak Thruway bus stop, but at least my town in mentioned on Amtrak's website and in their timetable!
  • Interests:Trains, photography, photography of trains, travel, travel by train, reading, reading about trains............

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:22 PM

I and my uncle took a tour last year through LA City tours and they picked us up and dropped us off at our hotel. We stayed at the Metro Plaza.
Amtrak Routes Traveled: City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, Capitol Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal.

Pre-Amtrak Routes Traveled:
Empire Builder (Great Northern), North Coast Limited (Northern Pacific), Abraham Lincoln (Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio), City of Hinkle  (Union Pacific) Panama Limited (Illinois Central)

Bustitutions: Portland-Spokane (EB),Galesburg-Bloomington (CZ/Lincoln Service )

Amtrak Miles: 80276

Pre-Amtrak Miles: 8478

Bustitution Miles: 450

Excursion trains ridden:  Centralia and Chehalis Railroad, Mt. Hood Scenic Railroad, Alaska Railroad, 1880 Train (Black Hills Central RR) and trains at the Illinois Railway Museum, California Railway Museum, and the Monticello (IL) Railroad Museum.

#18 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:43 AM

For food (lunch especially), visit St. Vincent's Court in the historic downtown area.

#19 tp49

tp49

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:34 PM

I like the Grand Central Market downtown near Pershing Square on the Red Line and at the base of the Angel's Flight as a place to get lunch. Good number of food stalls with a number of cuisine types represented. My particular favorite is the papusas stand.

#20 joolsstone

joolsstone

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:39 PM

Thanks y'all! We went with the Omni in the end. A bit above our budget, but hey. They run a shuttle and it does look very lovely. Not read a abd review yet. Keep those tips a-coming guys!

Anyone know if there's a tour bus that takes you to Warners Studio from / near downtown? My good lady really wants to see the Giomore Girls set, and no I'm not joking! lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users