Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Maglev in the NEC?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,946 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

What does an EIS have to do with a RRIF loan?

RRIF loan is federal funds, and federal funds require EIS. That is the reason AAF is doing an EIS in order to get an RRIF loan.

#42 George Harris

George Harris

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
  • Interests:Track, construction, schedules

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:32 PM

So far as I can tell, the main use of EIS has been as a weapon by people opposed to a project to stop.  Many times the claims have been downright silly.  One of the favorites is to claim that the project will impact or destroy the last known habitat of some critter no one has ever heard of, and no one has ever seen anywhere near the location of the project.

#43 The Davy Crockett

The Davy Crockett

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,332 posts
  • Interests:The Rails, US History, The Great Outdoors, Good Food

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:18 PM

So far as I can tell, the main use of EIS has been as a weapon by people opposed to a project to stop.  Many times the claims have been downright silly.  One of the favorites is to claim that the project will impact or destroy the last known habitat of some critter no one has ever heard of, and no one has ever seen anywhere near the location of the project.

For example... Purple Line May Be Held Up...By Shrimp!

I wish I was a headlight on a northbound of the border train.

#44 lo2e

lo2e

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:36 AM

Since almost everything revolves around money these days, has a direct cost comparison been done between Maglev and decent HSR (let's say Acela top speed for now)?  In particular, I'd be interested in the cost differences on each of the following:

How much to build? (knowing that HSR at least marginally exists already in the NEC)

How much to run?

How much to maintain track and equipment?

How much to replace rolling stock (if needed for Maglev, not sure if the equipment ever wears out but I'd imagine at least some does)?

#45 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,946 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:02 PM

The answers to those questions are not simple and straightforward. Afterall we are talking engineering issues under various different situations. If you are really interested in exploring this further you could start with this relatively well written paper:

https://www.thetrans...mparisonHSR.pdf

And yes Maglev equipment wears out just like anything else. It is the track and levitation system. Just because things don;t touch does not mean they don't come under stress. They do have to be maintained and replaced like anything else.

#46 George Harris

George Harris

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
  • Interests:Track, construction, schedules

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:05 PM

Going through the report referenced by jis, it has several significant points:

Time savings are minimal.

Cost differences appear to be understated.

Energy consumption is higher, according to some, much higher.

Promotion of the technology appears to be driven primarily by suppliers of the technology, not by transportation agencies, and appears to be oriented to obtaining the maximum amount of public funds for the development with little to no private money involved.

Edited by George Harris, 09 September 2014 - 10:08 PM.

#47 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:49 AM

Maryland applies for Maglev funds as governor rides Japan’s system

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#48 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,946 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:53 AM

And yet he will not build the Purple line. The idiotic hypocrite!

#49 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,499 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:09 PM

^^^ What he said. MD does a lot of things right, Hogan ain't one of them.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#50 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:39 PM

But newfangled gadgetbahn (at least in terms of its existence in the US) is always more exciting than the tried and true. Just don't mention that it will cost, what, 10 times more  :P

#51 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,946 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:43 PM

Well when the hope is that the Japanese will pick up the tab and we will be a little more indebted to someone oever which we have little control seems to not bother these self appointed patriots either.

#52 FormerOBS

FormerOBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Interests:Literature; History in general, especially American Hist.; Hist. of RR's & Industry; Camping; Travel; Model Railroading. Retired from Amtrak June, 2014 after 27 years and over 3,500,000 miles. What I say here DOES NOT necessarily represent Amtrak's views or policies.

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:13 PM

As a Marylander, I feel confident that Mr. Hogan knows about as much about rail transportation issues as my dog Samson knows about polymer chemistry. Take that for what it's worth.

Tom

#53 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,499 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:47 AM

This guy pretty much nails it:

http://politicalmary...e-maglev-gaffe/

It’s “an incredible experience” Hogan said of his 300-mile-an-hour ride on a test track in Japan during an economic development trip to Asia.

What’s really “incredible” is Hogan’s willingness to become a promoter of a still-emerging technology with eye-popping costs just as he nears a decision on building two crucial, but far cheaper, conventional mass-transit routes in Baltimore and the Washington suburbs that he previously called “too expensive.”

Supporters of maglev (magnetic levitation) say a Washington-to-Baltimore route would cost a mere $10 billion. Others says the price tag would be many times higher just for the first 40 miles of a route eventually stretching to New York.

Maglev, which glides on a cushion of air and is powered by super-conducting magnets, requires a straight track. It cannot use existing rail rights of way. Thus, the Baltimore-Washington route, through an intensely developed part of Maryland, will have to done by way of a 40-mile-long tunnel.

Now we’re talking REALLY big bucks.

Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#54 FormerOBS

FormerOBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Interests:Literature; History in general, especially American Hist.; Hist. of RR's & Industry; Camping; Travel; Model Railroading. Retired from Amtrak June, 2014 after 27 years and over 3,500,000 miles. What I say here DOES NOT necessarily represent Amtrak's views or policies.

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:02 AM

Barry Rascovar is one of Maryland's more trustworthy, thoughtful local pundits. 

Tom

#55 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:19 AM

It’s “an incredible experience” Hogan said of his 300-mile-an-hour ride on a test track in Japan during an economic development trip to Asia.

What’s really “incredible” is Hogan’s willingness to become a promoter of a still-emerging technology with eye-popping costs just as he nears a decision on building two crucial, but far cheaper, conventional mass-transit routes in Baltimore and the Washington suburbs that he previously called “too expensive.”

Supporters of maglev (magnetic levitation) say a Washington-to-Baltimore route would cost a mere $10 billion. Others says the price tag would be many times higher just for the first 40 miles of a route eventually stretching to New York.

Maglev, which glides on a cushion of air and is powered by super-conducting magnets, requires a straight track. It cannot use existing rail rights of way. Thus, the Baltimore-Washington route, through an intensely developed part of Maryland, will have to done by way of a 40-mile-long tunnel.

They have $10 billion for this latest shiny toy, and they don't have money to contribute towards fixing up the B&P Tunnel?  Not to mention that the MARC fare increase goes into effect today. (and a couple of weeks ago, they *lowered* some highway tolls.  It's pretty obvious what the transportation priorities are for this governor.

#56 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,499 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:14 AM

Barry Rascovar is one of Maryland's more trustworthy, thoughtful local pundits. 

Tom

I had never heard of him before, I'll have to check more of his stuff out.
Posted Image

#57 Tokkyu40

Tokkyu40

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:00 PM

They have $10 billion for this latest shiny toy, and they don't have money to contribute towards fixing up the B&P Tunnel?  Not to mention that the MARC fare increase goes into effect today. (and a couple of weeks ago, they *lowered* some highway tolls.  It's pretty obvious what the transportation priorities are for this governor.

JR Central and the Japanese export bank are talking about financing the maglev, so it's politically "free money", meaning you don't have to pay the bill until the next administration gets hit with the tab.

#58 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,216 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:17 AM

Well, and there's always the possibility (and not a small one if this were to start happening, I'd add...the overall chances of the project actually moving seem quite remote, but the chances of it moving a bit and then stalling seem to fill up much of the remainder) that the Maglev gets built from DC to Baltimore, bankrupts out its loans, and is sufficiently marginal in operation that expansion efforts drop dead.

To be fair, I've got to wonder...JR Central seems to be splitting their focus between Texas Central (the Houston-Dallas bullet train) and this.  Considering that this is basically a moonshot while the Texas Central situation is more clearly viable (the TC folks noted that there were other markets they could make work and that Houston-Dallas was simply one of the easiest)...if this stalls out I don't think JR Central is going to see too much of a problem with walking on this one.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#59 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:39 PM

Maryland awarded $27.8M grant for maglev

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#60 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:43 AM

Another meaningless study. $10B? What's in it for my state? Any reasonable congressman would say that.

Studies mean nothing. Just a bribe to the local officials so they can give money to local businesses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users