• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#21 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

What was the name of that ridiculous movie with Matt Damon (?) and Morgan Freeman (?) trying to stop some out of control train? I remember a scene where they went around this huge horseshoe curve somewhere in PA (?)

Obviously, the details are fuzzy. Brent watched it one weekend many moons ago, and I wasn't paying much attention.

Not making fun here.......but that sounds like one of those games where people tell each other a story and by the time the 10th person tells the story it's 100% different!!!

Unstoppable, listed in my post, is the movie you are thinking of.

It's Chris Pine, not Matt. Dezel and not Morgan.

It's a West Virginia trestle curved bridge as the 'danger spot'.

Many holes in the film....worth watching.

Ha! I knew I had it all mixed up. :) I was close-ish.

Aloha

There was an older film with a similar tittle to Unstoppable. Which may be the movie Sarah is remembering.

GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks
http://gg-1.smugmug.com/'>Picture Galleries

Posted Image

#22 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

No, it was "Unstoppable". I was half-asleep throughout the movie, and it was a long time ago, so I had trouble remembering the specifics.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#23 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

Silver Streak too.......It was just re-released on DVD and BR...pass on the BR as it's just a copy of the DVD.

Runaway train is cool....a bit dry

Unstopable is fun if you ignore some of the impossible things....I like that they did wreck real trains and not CGI it.

Emperor of the North is brutal....but good....

Aloha

While most of the effects are "Movie Real" Unstoppable did use CGI effects. If you want to see a list of the cast and crew go to this page http://www.imdb.com/...ef_=tt_ov_st_sm

Posted Image

#24 fredevad

fredevad

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

Silver Streak too.......It was just re-released on DVD and BR...pass on the BR as it's just a copy of the DVD.

Unstopable is fun if you ignore some of the impossible things....I like that they did wreck real trains and not CGI it.

Aloha

While most of the effects are "Movie Real" Unstoppable did use CGI effects. If you want to see a list of the cast and crew go to this page http://www.imdb.com/...ef_=tt_ov_st_sm

You're right Eric - I forgot they did use some CGI (they had to going around the "Stanton Curve"). But the rice puffs and potato flakes were real!

[This space intentionally left blank... ...until I decide what I want to put here.]

#25 Dave Van

Dave Van

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

Aloha

Yes....you are correct.......I should have said 'didn't use ONLY CGI'. The BR disk has a bunch of footage of them wrecking real trains and how some of it almost went wrong!!  The train at speed on two wheels was CGI or talent never seen before or since!!!

25000+ miles on Amtrak to So Cal.....

Read about my trips.......

http://www.currtail.com

#26 xyzzy

xyzzy

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

The Train, set in 1944 France and based on a true hypothesis. Gritty, black and white, but a serious film and also grimly realistic about railroads. http://en.wikipedia....ain_(1964_film)

Edited by xyzzy, 25 October 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#27 MrFSS

MrFSS

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,777 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

The Train, set in 1944 France and based on a true hypothesis. Gritty, black and white, but a serious film and also grimly realistic about railroads. http://en.wikipedia....ain_(1964_film)

Agree!

#28 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

Aloha

A credit to the Cinematographer is blending locations. Portions of Unstoppable was filmed in Southern California at the Filmore and Western Railway http://www.fwry.com/ If you go to their credits page you will be surprised by the number and names listed.

Posted Image

#29 Dave Van

Dave Van

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

Aloha

A credit to the Cinematographer is blending locations. Portions of Unstoppable was filmed in Southern California at the Filmore and Western Railway http://www.fwry.com/ If you go to their credits page you will be surprised by the number and names listed.

It looks like Fillmore supplied some props for Unstoppable but no real filming. It would take a lot to change So Cal into WV, PA or Ohio.  I just spent two weeks in So Cal and love it but very different than home....WV!

#30 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,502 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

If you look at some movies and/or TV shows where people leave from (say) WAS - and there's a Surfliner in the shot!:D Oops!
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

#31 Dave Van

Dave Van

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

If you look at some movies and/or TV shows where people leave from (say) WAS - and there's a Surfliner in the shot! :D Oops!

Or on the Andy Griffith show a Union Pacific yellow loco and cars arriving at 'Mayberry NC'!!!

Edited by Dave Van, 25 October 2013 - 08:29 PM.

#32 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,981 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

A few others that are worthy of a mention are:

• Murder on the Orient Express
  • Von Ryan's Express

Not a train movie per se, but some of the sequences involving trains in Doctor Zhivago are classic.

And then there is of course the Taking of Pelham 123.

There are some very nice and authentic train scenes in The Jewel in the Crown and Gandhi too.

The rail sequences in Gandhi were filmed on the Garhi Harsaru - Farrukhnagar (then) Metre Gauge branch off of my old stomping grounds - the Delhi Jn. - Bikaner route via Rewari and Loharu. Loharu was my home station.

Edited by jis, 26 October 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#33 The Davy Crockett

The Davy Crockett

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,332 posts
  • Interests:The Rails, US History, The Great Outdoors, Good Food

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

One of my favorites, and I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, is the classic movie - its not a 'talkie' - 1926 silent film with Buster Keaton: The General.

I wish I was a headlight on a northbound of the border train.

#34 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,423 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

Ill stick with "North by Northwest" even though  the ending has Cary and Eva Maries Train entering a Tunnel on the way back to New York (Supposedly on the Broadway Limited) but  an SP
Train is Clearly what is Shown!! ^_^

Edited by jimhudson, 27 October 2013 - 01:58 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#35 benjibear

benjibear

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

Another one I thought of that has alot of train scenes is "The Greatest Show on Earth."  It has many circus train shots and shows what Ringling Brothers circus was like when it was still under the big top in the 1950s. 

Von Ryan's Express can be watched instantly on Netflix.  I highly recommend this if you like suspense, war type movies (setting is 1943 Italy during world war 2).  It is a very good movie in my opinion and one of my favorites.   

#36 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

Since the topic includes transportation, Airplane! 

- What's the vector, Victor?

- I picked a bad day to quit sniffing glue

- ..and don't call me Shirley

#37 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,502 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

Since the topic includes transportation, Airplane! 

- What's the vector, Victor?
- I picked a bad day to quit sniffing glue
- ..and don't call me Shirley

Don't forget the male and female recordings (at the curb) starting to argue!
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

#38 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:05 PM

I'll have to find a copy of Murder on the Orient Express. I read the book while riding the SWC a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#39 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,717 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:47 PM

One of the most hilarious films of all time was "Some Like It Hot", starring Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, and Jack Lemmon.  Great scene in a standard Pullman sleeper.  Another was "42nd Street", a musical with a scene in a sleeper while 'Shuffling off to Buffalo'.....

Mention was made of "Silver Streak"....but how many of you have seen or even heard of the 1934 RKO version starring the Burlington Zephyr carrying an Iron Lung on a transcontinental life-saving mission to the Boulder Dam site to save the life of the railroad president's son?  A neat melodrama.

How about the cliff-hanger serial "Hurricane Express" starring a very young John Wayne?

Another hilarious 'madcap' comedy starred Claudette Colbert in "The Palm Beach Story" set on the Florida Special....

There are lots more from that era, when railroad travel was the "Only Way To Travel"...... :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#40 June the Coach Rider

June the Coach Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Interests:Disabled, so interests are mainly watching sports or traveling by train.

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

though not a movie, I remember a few Three Stooges shorts that had train trips. Some had sleepers and others were in coach. I know they are not movies, but shorts were the movies of the day. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users