Great Dome on Illinois Zephyr??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NukeTim

Checking the Amtrak.com it states that the Great Dome will be on the Illinois Zephyr in November, 2013. No additional information on the schedule is listed. Another site <mendotamuseums.org> says that Amtrak will be adding a "dome car" to the Illinois Zephyr and from the description and photo it looks like it will be a Superliner observation / lounge car. Anyone have information (or a link) to where the Great Dome will be in November?

What a let down. I emailed mendotamuseums.org asking which was incorrect, the "dome" headline or the SSL details.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it hard to take a website seriously if it looks like it was designed in 1995 and has, in its announcement, a photo taken no later than 1985.

*cough*http://www.amtrak.com/fall-travel-on-the-great-dome-car*cough*

Sit back and relax on the [/size]Illinois Zephyr train, a popular favorite for getting to and from the "Gem City" of Quincy and the toddlin' town of Chicago. A 258 mile stretch, with beautiful Mississippi valley views and convenient stops in between, November 5 - 22 is the perfect time to grab a seat and take in the sites on the Great Dome Car.[/size]
Hah! They finally fixed that page! Until three or so weeks back it was still touting the Great Dome on the Cardinal last year! :)

I find it hard to take a website seriously if it looks like it was designed in 1995 and has, in its announcement, a photo taken no later than 1985.
At first I thought you were referring to the amtrak.com page quoted in the post just above? Only the train crew will get views of the beautiful Mississippi valley as they dead head the train between the QCY station and the West Quincy yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back