SunRail Locomotive Delivered

27 replies to this topic

#1 RampWidget

RampWidget

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Interests:Anything that rolls, flies, or floats !

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

SunRail Locomotive Delivered

Photos taken at CFRC/SunRail new maintenance facility at Sanford - copyrighted material used with permission

SunRail1_zps17991ded.jpgSunRail2_zps70fadaf0.jpg

Amtrak Acela, Auto-Train, Capitol Limited, Carolinian, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Downeaster, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle
Alaska RR Coastal Classic, Denali Star - Central of Georgia Rwy. Nancy Hanks II - Southern Rwy. Southern Crescent - MARC - MBTA - Tri-Rail

#2 MattW

MattW

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

Well, I guess it could have looked worse. I personally like the MPI Nose, but it should go on a cowl unit.

Forum's official broken record about expanded Georgia passenger service!

#3 RyanS

RyanS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,111 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

Agreed, the combination just looks goofy.
TrainSig.jpg

#4 The Davy Crockett

The Davy Crockett

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Interests:The Rails, US History, The Great Outdoors, Good Food

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

Agreed, the combination just looks goofy.

Goofy & Orlando?  Coincidence? :unsure:

I wish I was a headlight on a northbound train.

#5 FriskyFL

FriskyFL

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

A can of orange juice exploded all over the side. Maybe it looked better in the Photoshop rendering? At least Tri-Rail won't be the silliest livery in FL after this.

#6 afigg

afigg

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:36 PM

The words that comes to mind for the SunRail locomotive paint scheme is garish, loud, or excessive. If the engine ever catches on fire, will anyone be able to tell?

#7 RampWidget

RampWidget

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:10 PM

At least Tri-Rail won't be the silliest livery in FL after this.

Hey , I kind of like the Tri-Rail scheme. It fits with the whole brash Miami in-your-face, can-you-handle-this mindset. :giggle:

Edit: clarity

Edited by RampWidget, 07 October 2013 - 11:12 PM.

Amtrak Acela, Auto-Train, Capitol Limited, Carolinian, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Downeaster, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle
Alaska RR Coastal Classic, Denali Star - Central of Georgia Rwy. Nancy Hanks II - Southern Rwy. Southern Crescent - MARC - MBTA - Tri-Rail

#8 WhoozOn1st

WhoozOn1st

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:14 AM

The wavoid paint scheme really smacks of SoCal Metrolink and New Mexico Rail Runner; derivative.  Bland colors, too.

WhoozOn1st
See! Whooz Train Video Asylum "It's Raileriffic!!" Now over 300 Steam, Electric, and Diesel clips!
Enjoy! Whooz Rail SmugShots & Videos New & Improved: New Pics & Vids added daily!
Peruse! Whooz Picasa Memory Lane is a nice drive.

#9 RampWidget

RampWidget

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

The wavoid paint scheme really smacks of SoCal Metrolink and New Mexico Rail Runner; derivative.  Bland colors, too.

Yep. Even the scheme on the cab car and the coach, if applied to the locomotive, would look better, IMO.

#10 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

Oops, I misread the title of this thread as "Sunrail locomotive derailed" and studied the photos to try and spot the derailment.

I'm relieved to know all is still on the rails.

#11 SubwayNut

SubwayNut

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

God those new locomotives look totally bizarre, a totally strange combination. 

Check out my website SubwayNut.com decidated to pictures of subway, light rail and railroad stations including nearly 200 that Amtrak stop at!

#12 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

A train was on display at Church Street Station in Orlando today.  The public was able to look but not board, and we were not able to get real close.  I took a few photos and will attempt to post one of them.

On my way walking back to my car (a mile away), the northbound Silver Meteor came through town and I was able to wave at the train.   :)

Attached Files

Amtrak miles: 123,321; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle (CHI-STL), Missouri River Runner, Acela Express (FC), Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service.   VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian (westbound), Ocean (eastbound/westbound).

#13 jimhudson

jimhudson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,093 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

:hi: Very Florida Looking! I thought they'd Paint them in the Colors of FSU, Miami U. and U oF!!!! :giggle:

Is where you took the Pic a New Platform for the Sun Rail Trains or Amtrak????

Edited by jimhudson, 10 October 2013 - 02:34 PM.

"I'd Rather Be On a Train!"  All Aboard!!!

"There's Something About a Train!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

"What a Long,Strange Trip it's Been!"-  "Truckin'"-Grateful Dead

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#14 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

:hi: Very Florida Looking! I thought they'd Paint them in the Colors of FSU, Miami U. and U oF!!!! :giggle:

The platform is where a former Atlantic Coast Line (I believe) station was located many years ago and the former location of the Church Street Station Steam Engine.  This is a new platform being built for SunRail only.  The Amtrak station is a couple of miles to the south.  

Amtrak miles: 123,321; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle (CHI-STL), Missouri River Runner, Acela Express (FC), Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service.   VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian (westbound), Ocean (eastbound/westbound).

#15 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, baking, history, architecture, urban exploration/decay

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

That was my very first thought.

The "wavoid" bit is kind of nice, but the sun is a bit much. Either sun or waves/ribbons, not both... or at least figure out a way to make them blend a bit better. I feel like I dropped acid in the breakfast cereal aisle at the supermarket.

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Crescent, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine
Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra (RTA), Chicago L (CTA), Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC (WMATA)

#16 jimhudson

jimhudson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,093 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

The platform is where a former Atlantic Coast Line (I believe) station was located many years ago and the former location of the Church Street Station Steam Engine.  This is a new platform being built for SunRail only.  The Amtrak station is a couple of miles to the south.  

So SunRail wont be Stopping @ the Orlando Amtrak Station when it starts Running? Seems like Poor Planning! :rolleyes:

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#17 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

According to the Sunrail website, the trains will stop at both Church Street and "Orlando Health/Amtrak," so it would seem the current Amtrak station will also be a Sunrail station. 

#18 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

According to the Sunrail website, the trains will stop at both Church Street and "Orlando Health/Amtrak," so it would seem the current Amtrak station will also be a Sunrail station. 

That is correct.  I apologize Jim, if my previous response was misleading.  There will be several stops in the Orlando area and Church Street is only one of them. The SunRail platforms are "in progress" at the Orlando Amtrak station.

#19 jimhudson

jimhudson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,093 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

:hi: Thanks Mike and Penny! Maybe there's Hope for Florida Yet! :giggle:

Edited by jimhudson, 10 October 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#20 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

:hi: Thanks Mike and Penny! Maybe there's Hope for Florida Yet! :giggle:

Jim you will get a good look at the platform at the ORL station next Tuesday.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users