Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Texas Central Railway

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#161 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,531 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:08 PM

Maybe they can position a suitable garbage dump hill shaped like Mount Fuji, next to the tracks. :D

#162 Rover

Rover

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

Maybe they can position a suitable garbage dump hill shaped like Mount Fuji, next to the tracks. :D

They could dig under Bardwell Lake, and have Mt. Fuji mosaics in the tunnel. :unsure:

I've ridden: ~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~
Books: ~ Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

#163 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:17 PM

Or better yet, they could actually build a railroad before 2100.

#164 Rover

Rover

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:42 PM

Or better yet, they could actually build a railroad before 2100.

It's gonna be finished around 2020.

This isn't CA or HI!!!

I've ridden: ~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~
Books: ~ Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

#165 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:11 AM

More optimistic about this than the California project ...

Best thing that could happen to California HSR would be for Texas HSR to get finished first.

The Golden State won't stand for being left behind by its rival Lone Star state.

#166 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,373 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:46 AM

They could take a picture of a bullet train with a high school or college football stadium in the background. That's Texas

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
  • VentureForth likes this

#167 AlamoWye

AlamoWye

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:45 AM

Nice news about both Amtrak and the Texas Central:

https://www.texascen...senger-network/

I really hope Texas can get this done. Trying to drive between major Texas cities is dreadful and with all the new options with driver services and, probably, driverless vehicles, getting around will be so much easier just when my driving abilities will be getting much more difficult (age!).

#168 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:49 AM

I really hope Texas can get this done. Trying to drive between major Texas cities is dreadful and with all the new options with driver services and, probably, driverless vehicles, getting around will be so much easier just when my driving abilities will be getting much more difficult (age!).

Assuming the national network is still around when they are complete.

#169 Rover

Rover

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:10 PM

Texans are going to do intrastate rail whether it's National, or not.

#170 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:20 PM

Texans are going to do intrastate rail whether it's National, or not.

The article referenced was concerning the high speed connecting with Amtrak’s national network. I was not commenting on if the Texas Central would be completed or not.

#171 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:07 PM

Houston to Dallas at a zillion miles an hour. Dallas to El Paso at 12mph.

• Pere Flyer likes this

#172 Pere Flyer

Pere Flyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Writing, dancing, traveling

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:14 PM

Maybe such a transfer would compel Texans to pressure their U.S. Congresspersons to fund improvements to the TE route.

Pere Marquette: 370 (CHI, HOM, GRR); 371 (GRR, HOM, CHI) | Heartland Flyer: 821 (OKC, NOR, FTW); 822 (FTW, NOR, OKC) | Texas Eagle: 21 (FTW, SAS); 22 (SAS, FTW, AUS, CHI)

SS Line | TRE | DART | MTA | NJT | DC Metro | MBTA | CTA | Denver RTD | MARTA | ATL Streetcar | QLine | Paris Métropolitain | Barcelona Metro | GLI | Jefferson Lines

#173 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:35 PM

Maybe such a transfer would compel Texans to pressure their U.S. Congresspersons to fund improvements to the TE route.

More likely a re-evaluation of the Texas Triangle route, which would make total sense.

• Pere Flyer likes this

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#174 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:58 PM

More likely a re-evaluation of the Texas Triangle route, which would make total sense.

The more likely scenario will be if Dallas-Houston is successful, then Houston-San Antonio and Dallas-San Antonio will be next on their expansion list. 

• Philly Amtrak Fan likes this

#175 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:57 AM

Has the quote function stopped working? :)

#176 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,526 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:49 PM

The more likely scenario will be if Dallas-Houston is successful, then Houston-San Antonio and Dallas-San Antonio will be next on their expansion list. 

What seems likely (to me, at least) is a San Antonio-Austin-[somewhere in the middle of the existing route] line.  You'd have an expensive junction to accommodate San Antonio-Dallas and San Antonio-Houston trains, but doing so probably saves you something like 50-70 miles of track construction (at a minimum).  There's a reasonable chance that adding San Antonio and Austin together (to Houston) at the cost of adding 10-15 minutes to travel time would do better than "just" San Antonio-Houston.  Granted, you would ideally find a way to serve Waco, etc. along the I-35 corridor, but I suspect that San Antonio/Austin/College Station would be more than sufficient to support the line in question.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#177 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:11 AM

Long after I'm dead.

#178 AlamoWye

AlamoWye

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:04 PM

So it seems like this Amtrak agreement with Texas Central was put out this early so that Texas Central can operate under federal rules of the STB instead. The STB had ruled a couple of years ago that since Texas Central was only intrastate that it was subject to Texas' rules and not under STB jurisdiction. By being under federal rules it "might" make it easier to get some of the recalcitrant counties less resistant because their complaints would have to be heard at the federal level, whereas previously State and local legislation were being passed to kill the route.

But who knows in these days where the federal government is changing so dramatically with its oversight.

Edited by AlamoWye, 15 May 2018 - 05:56 PM.

• Devil's Advocate likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users