Photo

Portland, Oregon

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_train person_*

Guest_train person_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:04 PM

No mention of Portland's crowning glory yet....

http://www.portlandbeer.org/breweries/

#22 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,301 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:47 PM

Since Seattle had Guns and Roses, Portland can have Beer and Roses! LOL

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#23 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

It's apparently possible to take public transit from Portland to Mt. Hood.

How to take public transportation from Portland to Timberline Lodge

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#24 manderson

manderson

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

It's apparently possible to take public transit from Portland to Mt. Hood.
How to take public transportation from Portland to Timberline Lodge

Nice find!

#25 George K

George K

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Interests:Ask me!

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:50 PM

If you're into flowers (and I'm not!), check out the International Rose Test Garden: http://en.wikipedia....ose_Test_Garden

The International Rose Test Garden is a rose garden in Washington Park in PortlandOregon, United States. There are over 7,000 rose plants of approximately 550 varieties. The roses bloom from April through October with the peak coming in June, depending on the weather. New rose cultivars are continually sent to the garden from many parts of the world and are tested for color, fragrance, disease resistance and other attributes. It is the oldest continuously operating public rose test garden in the United States and exemplifies Portland's nickname, "City of Roses." 

4/1/1955 - NYC "Pacemaker" - NYP to CHI 

9/14 - EB - CHI to PDX , CS - PDX to EMY, CZ - EMY to CHI

3/15 CONO - Round trip 

9/15 CL CHI to WAS, Acela WAS to BOS, LSL BOS to CHI

11/15 CONO - Round trip

5/16 EB - Round trip

12/16 CONO -  Round Trip

5/17 EB - Round trip

10/17 CONO - Round trip

#26 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:33 PM

If you're into flowers (and I'm not!), check out the International Rose Test Garden: http://en.wikipedia....ose_Test_Garden

The International Rose Test Garden is a rose garden in Washington Park in PortlandOregon, United States. There are over 7,000 rose plants of approximately 550 varieties. The roses bloom from April through October with the peak coming in June, depending on the weather. New rose cultivars are continually sent to the garden from many parts of the world and are tested for color, fragrance, disease resistance and other attributes. It is the oldest continuously operating public rose test garden in the United States and exemplifies Portland's nickname, "City of Roses." 

I went there last August with my sister, and it was magnificent! Here's my sis with her nose in a rose:

international-rose-test.jpg

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#27 George K

George K

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Interests:Ask me!

Posted 30 January 2016 - 11:12 AM

Another comment about where to stay. Last time, we stayed at the Residence Inn Marriott Pearl District.

http://www.marriott....pearl-district/

Great place, and it's a short walk from Union Station in a good neighborhood. It includes a nice breakfast buffet, and WiFi is available as well. Free if you join their rewards program.

We're staying there again this coming May. I got a 2 bedroom suite with a kitchen, living room. Applying the Senior Citizen rate, it's $288 a night for four of us.

Highly recommended.

4/1/1955 - NYC "Pacemaker" - NYP to CHI 

9/14 - EB - CHI to PDX , CS - PDX to EMY, CZ - EMY to CHI

3/15 CONO - Round trip 

9/15 CL CHI to WAS, Acela WAS to BOS, LSL BOS to CHI

11/15 CONO - Round trip

5/16 EB - Round trip

12/16 CONO -  Round Trip

5/17 EB - Round trip

10/17 CONO - Round trip

#28 Eric308

Eric308

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:motorcycle touring, cooking, LD train travel, LD road trips with family, dogs, birds, and water sports

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:46 PM

There are a lot of good hotel choices in Portland. My daughter went to Lewis&Clark for four years and I rode the EB out to visit three or four times a year. I have stayed at several downtown hotels, but really prefer The Monaco over all of them. Great rooms and amenities with a free wine tasting hour with entertainment each evening. They now give me a really low "frequent guest" rate which is way below listed best prices. Heading out again on the EB in early April even though my daughter is long gone.http://www.monaco-portland.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users