Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Ferries, Ferries, and still more Ferries

• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#301 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:09 PM

IMHO, while not exactly beautiful, it had more aesthetic lines than the newer boats....

Yes....the 'Smallwood' and its twin the 'Caribou'.

I had many crossings on those two. They were well liked 'workhorses' and crossed in just about any weather conditions. One memorable 7 hr overnight trip turned into 32 hrs when we couldn't dock in Port-aux-Basques due to winds and just sailed up and down the Nfld coast for an extra 24 hrs. We had a cabin and they kept us well-fed with complementary meals (but you had to pay for your beer!) Both went for scrap 7 years ago when the 'Puttees' and its twin the 'Highlanders' were acquired.

The 'Puttees' and 'Highlanders' were originally built for the Stena Line as English Channel Truck Ferries in the mid 2000s.....then modified with passenger accommodations when they were acquired by Marine Atlantic in 2010. Here's a great video of those mods:

The 'Atlantic Vision' (photo below).....has nicer lines and is used on the longer 16 hr run to Argentia, Nfld.

Attached Files

Edited by NS VIA Fan, 14 September 2018 - 02:15 PM.

• railiner and cpotisch like this

#302 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:01 PM

Speaking of "all-weather"....

When we were returning to home, from our auto tour of Newfoundland, the weather at Port-Aux-Basque was seriously foggy.  I would estimate perhaps 20 feet or so at one point.  We left plenty of time for the overnight sailing, and got there well before the fog got that thick.   But as we peered ahead thru our windshield while in the boarding lane, I couldn't imagine how the boat could ever get into port in that soup, and worried about where we would spend the night, along with the several hundred other's waiting.  

As the boat's arrival time came, we could still not see or hear anything.   All of a sudden, the public address system came to life, and it said:  "The Joseph and Clara Smallwood.....now arriving."

And dramatically it just seemed to materialize right in front of us, in the mist....

I was never so glad to see a boat, as that one.  We boarded and departed on schedule, the fog horn sounded, and we made the overnight run to North Sydney, arriving in a clear morning, on schedule. :cool:

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#303 JRR

JRR

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 10:49 AM

We have ridden a number of ferries including most of the Alaska Marine Highway system but the best was the trip from Homer to Unalaska!

Had unbelievably great weather and were befriended by a couple of brothers (self described as Russian and Aleut) who were crab boat captains.

They took us into every little village and introduced us to the locals as their friends. An incredible experience.

Edited by JRR, 23 September 2018 - 10:50 AM.

#304 Maglev

Maglev

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:32 PM

Seven vessels out of Washington State Ferries' fleet of 22 will be out-of-service for two weeks, causing significant service disruptions.  Here in the San Juan Islands, the schedule is being reduced from four to three vessels.  The international sailing to Sidney, BC, is canceled, and reservations are suspended between the islands and the mainland.  The interisland schedule is mostly preserved, as this is the route relied on most by commuters and school children.

Four vessels will be out of service for emergency repairs, and three for Coast Guard required shipyard work. "Washington State Ferries has been without a service relief vessel since spring, when the Elwha, scheduled for the San Juan Islands this summer, was removed from service for emergency steel replacement."

http://www.islandsso...-boat-schedule/

Northeast corridor Heritage, Metroliner, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#305 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 14 October 2018 - 10:02 PM

Sounds like they need better planning at that agency, to avoid being caught in that situation.....

• cpotisch likes this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#306 Maglev

Maglev

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 14 October 2018 - 10:14 PM

Sounds like they need better planning at that agency, to avoid being caught in that situation.....

The biggest inconvenience is the suspension of the reservation system.  If you know that you can't get on a sailing, then you don't try to wait for it.  Traveling first-come, first-serve in the past has meant day-long waits for some.  The reservation system should have been able to accommodate the schedule change.

Northeast corridor Heritage, Metroliner, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#307 AutoTrDvr

AutoTrDvr

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 10:16 PM

For me, when I think "Ferries," I think of this... direct from my childhood.

These are the ferries that transport people from Cape Cod to the Islands of Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket.   Hard to believe that::

1)  For an organization called the "Steamship Authority,"  there are no more steamships in service - They are all diesel or diesel / electric (EMD);

2) I can remember when the oldest ferry in service today (the MV "Nantucket") was the newest ferry (commissioned 1974).

You might recall this Ferry: It was featured in the movie Jaws, which was filmed on Martha's Vineyard... It was the very first ferry on which I rode as a child.,,

https://en.wikipedia...lander_2009.JPG

Sorry to say iit exists no more.  It was decommissioned in 2007 and scrapped, shortly thereafter  You can see it's final voyage from Martha's Vineyard  in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t36DTlA7lg

Edited by AutoTrDvr, 14 October 2018 - 10:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users