Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Ferries, Ferries, and still more Ferries

• Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

#281 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:56 AM

Actually, longer and heavier, but lower capacity. The real monsters are ferries like the ones running Norway to Denmark on Color Lines in Europe, they carry way less passengers, but huge numbers of cars and big trucks. They have cabins, bars, restaurants, and entertainment, not bench seating. The 2 biggest are almost 75000 tons, but they are doing trips almost a full day long and pull 20kts.

I hadn't noticed the new ferries are actually longer, and heavier...thanks for pointing that out.   Wonder why that is, if they are carrying less...were the Barberi class perhaps considered 'overloaded' at full capacity?

Those big Euro ferries are almost like ocean liner's...some even go overnite, and offer staterooms.

The largest ship I was on, that at one time did carry a few cars in its "garage", was the now retired RMS QE2.  It was close to 70000 GRT.   It is now serving as a hotel in Dubai.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#282 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:02 AM

The Lake Champlain ferrys aren't particularly large, but I always enjoy the crossings, but in the winter the year round crossings are cold.

#283 Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, ship travel, history, science, languages, old TV shows and commercials (pre-1970), American folk songs, and classic movies.

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:25 PM

Railiner:  Yep, I forgot the San Francisco Bay ferries:   SF to Sausalito and SF to Angel Island.

I forget who the operator was.  It was the late 70s and early 80s when I lived in the South Bay Area.

I have traveled by train since 1956 in the USA (including Alaska), Canada (including the Yukon), Mexico, Western Europe, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, and Zimbabwe.
My last pre-Amtrak trip was the Texas Chief from Ft. Worth to Chicago and the Capitol Limited from Chicago (Northwestern station) to Washington D.C.
I rode my first Amtrak train in April 1972. I have ridden nearly all the long-distance routes including the Texas Chief (Lone Star), Inter-American, Panama Limited, National Limited, Pioneer, Desert Wind, Spirit of California, Sunset Limited (Florida extension), Broadway Limited, and Chief. I also rode the Rio Grande Zephyr, Southern Crescent, Peoria Rocket, Georgia RR mixed train, and Soo Line mixed train in the post-Amtrak era.

#284 JRR

JRR

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:44 PM

In July 1957, I rode the Alaska ferry from Juneau to Haines which was shortly after service was started.

Since then I have risen the following routes:

Bellingham, Wash. to Ketchikan

Ketchikan to Juneau

Juneau to Skagway

Homer to Unalaska (Dutch Harbor)

#285 Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, ship travel, history, science, languages, old TV shows and commercials (pre-1970), American folk songs, and classic movies.

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:19 PM

The ultimate Alaska State Ferry trip is the one that leaves from Seward or Homer out to various ports along the Aleutians.  It's on my to-do list.

I have traveled by train since 1956 in the USA (including Alaska), Canada (including the Yukon), Mexico, Western Europe, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, and Zimbabwe.
My last pre-Amtrak trip was the Texas Chief from Ft. Worth to Chicago and the Capitol Limited from Chicago (Northwestern station) to Washington D.C.
I rode my first Amtrak train in April 1972. I have ridden nearly all the long-distance routes including the Texas Chief (Lone Star), Inter-American, Panama Limited, National Limited, Pioneer, Desert Wind, Spirit of California, Sunset Limited (Florida extension), Broadway Limited, and Chief. I also rode the Rio Grande Zephyr, Southern Crescent, Peoria Rocket, Georgia RR mixed train, and Soo Line mixed train in the post-Amtrak era.

#286 JRR

JRR

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 05:33 AM

The ultimate Alaska State Ferry trip is the one that leaves from Seward or Homer out to various ports along the Aleutians.  It's on my to-do list.

You can catch it from Homer or Kosinski. I recommend going from Homer after you tour the Kensington Peninsula. Plan to spend some time in Homer. It is a beautiful place and the halibut fishing is great.

#287 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 03:44 AM

The Toronto Islands.....are pedestrian only and linked by three ferry routes from downtown Toronto.

https://goo.gl/maps/pR7FotouTq12

A couple of weeks ago there was a Dragon Boat Festival on the Islands and the Ferries were packed.

The 108 year old Trillium arrives at Centre Island with an equally loaded Sam McBride operating as a 'Second Section' right behind.

https://www.thestar....waterfront.html

The McBride immediately returns to the mainland empty for another load.

Attached Files

• cpotisch likes this

#288 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 03:46 AM

>

Attached Files

• railiner likes this

#289 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:00 AM

More great shots, thanks for posting!   Is it still steam-powered?

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#290 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,450 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:02 AM

Fantastic photos and a great way to spend some pleasant time in Toronto the Good!😎
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#291 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:36 AM

Heres some shots from last evening..... arriving in North Sydney, Nova Scotia from Newfoundland. We had to hold while Marine Atlantics 'Atlantic Vision'......backed out and turned in front of us then followed Holland Americas 'Rotterdam' out of the harbour. We then docked alongside another Marine Atlantic ferry.....the 'Leif Ericson' which had just made the news earlier that day for the sea rescue of 3 fisherman.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...escue-1.4818436

Attached Files

• railiner likes this

#292 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:39 AM

>

Attached Files

#293 GBNorman

GBNorman

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Interests:Retired CPA; employed within railroad industry 1970-81

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:03 AM

Bucket list item for me is to take the Cape May-Lewes ferry from Lewes, leaving my car in Lewes, explore Cape May then back to Lewes.

Did that very trip during 1966 while stationed at Dover AFB.

#294 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:17 AM

NS VIA Fan---

Great shot, as usual...thanks for posting them...

I sailed on the MS Rotterdam (VI), twice thru there...back before they "improved" her with that ugly addition to her stern...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#295 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,450 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:57 AM

Nice pics as always! Makes me want to visit the Maritimes again!(in the Summer!😄)
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#296 Maglev

Maglev

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:28 PM

Another Sidney on the other side of Canada...  I traveled by Washington State Ferries to meet up with my sister and cousin in Victoria.  They had taken the train and Victoria Clipper from Portland.  We had hoped to work in a visit for them to the San Juans, but the ferries connecting back from Sidney to the islands run late at night and they would have needed to leave first thing the next morning.  

This is the MV Chelan pulling into the dock at Sidney, BC, on September 5.  I will board and travel to Friday Harbor, then wait three hours and catch another boat home.  Built in 1981, this ferry is part of the Issaquah class of six vessels, which were initially plagued with problems of unexpectedly leaving the dock or crashing into it.  The vessel was modified to have second car decks on the side tunnels, and to comply with Canadian Safety of Life at Sea standards for the international run.  It also has a small duty-free shop. 

Attached File  IMG_7344.jpg   98.68KB   4 downloads

• railiner likes this

Northeast corridor Heritage, Metroliner, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#297 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:21 PM

I have taken the BC Ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay, aboard a Pacific Coach Lines bus enroute from Vancouver to Victoria.  A very scenic trip.  I also have take the Clipper from Victoria to Seattle.   I have yet to take the Black Ball "Coho" between Port Angeles and Victoria....some day....

But the most memorable trip was on the Princess Marguerite (with a stateroom!), from Seattle to Victoria... :cool:  :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#298 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:59 AM

Marine Atlantic's 'Blue Puttees' enters the harbour at Port-aux-Basques, Newfoundland (pronounced like Port O Bask).....at 6:30am after a 7 hour overnight crossing from North Sydney NS.

Capacity:
Lane Length: 2.8 km or 1.7 miles for 570 cars or 190 trucks
1000 passengers
96 Cabins with 290 berths

Attached Files

#299 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:00 AM

The 'Blue Puttees' is named for a Newfoundland Regiment serving in WWI (Newfoundland was a Dominion and not part of Canada until 1949)

Attached Files

#300 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:19 AM

This is the boat I sailed across that passage with my car in 1990....

https://en.wikipedia...4_tango7174.jpg

IMHO, while not exactly beautiful, it had more aesthetic lines than the newer boats....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users