Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Ferries, Ferries, and still more Ferries

• Please log in to reply
320 replies to this topic

#261 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:35 PM

My favorite ferry has to be the (Barberi Class) Staten Island Ferry. I love the route, I love the look, and I love that it's the largest ferry in the world.Staten_island_ferry_2.jpg

And it's still Free!!!!😎😊😊😊
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#262 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:36 PM

My favorite ferry has to be the (Barberi Class) Staten Island Ferry. I love the route, I love the look, and I love that it's the largest ferry in the world.Staten_island_ferry_2.jpg

And it's still Free!!!!😎😊😊😊
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#263 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:42 PM

It may be the largest in terms of maximum passengers carried, an incredible 6,000+ in the 'rush hour',  but it's no match in size for some of the huge ferry's that operate in Europe, that are more like ocean liner's.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#264 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,727 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:50 AM

It may be the largest in terms of maximum passengers carried, an incredible 6,000+ in the 'rush hour',  but it's no match in size for some of the huge ferry's that operate in Europe, that are more like ocean liner's.

Is it actually larger than Star Ferry in Hong Kong that runs between Victoria (Central) and Kowloon (Tsim Sha Tsui)?

Looks like Star Ferry carried something like 8,000 to 10,000 more per day than Staten Island Ferry. And Star Ferry is not even free. It can be paid for using their own token or the Octopus Card at the entry turnstiles.

#265 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:21 AM

And it's still Free!!!!

Yep, that certainly doesn't hurt!  ;)

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#266 Maglev

Maglev

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:16 PM

My favorite ferry has to be the (Barberi Class) Staten Island Ferry. I love the route, I love the look, and I love that it's the largest ferry in the world.

And it's still Free!!!!

Yep, that certainly doesn't hurt!  ;)

It is free for walk-on passengers to travel within the San Juan Islands on Washington State Ferries.  Except on weekends during the winter quarter schedule, there is one vessel which sails an exclusively interisland route.  

Northeast corridor Heritage, Metroliner, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#267 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:36 PM

Is it actually larger than Star Ferry in Hong Kong that runs between Victoria (Central) and Kowloon (Tsim Sha Tsui)?

Looks like Star Ferry carried something like 8,000 to 10,000 more per day than Staten Island Ferry. And Star Ferry is not even free. It can be paid for using their own token or the Octopus Card at the entry turnstiles.

The Barberi Class I believe are the largest single boats in capacity....Star Ferry carries more per day total of all its boats...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#268 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:50 PM

The Barberi Class I believe are the largest single boats in capacity....Star Ferry carries more per day total of all its boats...

They might be physically smaller than some cruise ships, but it definitely has (I think significantly) greater passenger capacity than anything else on the water.

Edited by cpotisch, 07 June 2018 - 08:01 AM.

• railiner likes this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#269 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:21 AM

I agree with that, as far as ferry's go.   The big Euro ferry's only carry about 2100 passengers, plus auto's.

The most souls on board currently must go to the Royal Caribbean mega cruise ships of the 'Oasis' class.   They carry over 6.000 passenger,s plus a couple of thousand more in crew.  

But the all time record, goes to the RMS Queen Mary, when serving as a troop ship during World War II, carrying  16,683 troops, plus crew!

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#270 Maglev

Maglev

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:21 AM

Here's the Alaska Marine Highway ferry MV Columbia docked in Bellingham as Amtrak Cascades #516 departs the station, with a next stop in Vancouver, Canada.

Attached File  IMG_7296.jpg   78.17KB   14 downloads

• Mystic River Dragon, CraigDK and cpotisch like this

Northeast corridor Heritage, Metroliner, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#271 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:18 AM

Here's the Alaska Marine Highway ferry MV Columbia docked in Bellingham as Amtrak Cascades #516 departs the station, with a next stop in Vancouver, Canada.

attachicon.gifIMG_7296.jpg

Wait, how close is that track to the water? Looks like it's actually in the water from this angle.  :huh:

#272 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:57 AM

Close indeed...but still on land. ;)

https://www.google.c...!4d-122.5126603

• cpotisch likes this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#273 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 11:01 AM

Close indeed...but still on land. ;)

https://www.google.c...!4d-122.5126603

Thanks, would love to take a train that close to the water, through that area.

Edited by cpotisch, 24 June 2018 - 11:01 AM.

#274 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 01:08 PM

How absolutely gorgeous! :) I never realized how large some ferries are--the train looks like a toy train next to it!

• cpotisch likes this

#275 JRR

JRR

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 01:29 PM

The Columbia is a great ship and its route is even greater!

#276 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:50 PM

Wait till you see the new class of SI Ferry on order now. (2 are named, one is TBD) 

• cpotisch likes this

#277 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:03 PM

Here's a sneak preview...of note, they will be smaller than the Barberi class...

https://www.workboat...teel-new-boats/

• cpotisch likes this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#278 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:16 PM

Actually, longer and heavier, but lower capacity. The real monsters are ferries like the ones running Norway to Denmark on Color Lines in Europe, they carry way less passengers, but huge numbers of cars and big trucks. They have cabins, bars, restaurants, and entertainment, not bench seating. The 2 biggest are almost 75000 tons, but they are doing trips almost a full day long and pull 20kts.

#279 Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, ship travel, history, science, languages, old TV shows and commercials (pre-1970), American folk songs, and classic movies.

Posted 24 June 2018 - 11:31 PM

Over the years I've had the opportunity to use ferries and coastal ships for travel---in many cases in conjunction with a rail trip.

NORTH AMERICA:

1) Alaska State Ferries: two trips.   Seattle to Skagway connecting with the WP&Y to Whitehorse.   Sitka to Skagway also connecting with the WP&Y (later returned to Juneau by ferry from Skagway)

2) Washington State Ferries:  various trips

3) Black Ball Ferry Line:  Port Angeles to Victoria

4) BC ferries:  Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay

5) Princess of Vancouver:  Nanaimo to N. Vancouver?  [Rode in conjunction with an RDC trip on Vancouver Island]

6) SS Santa Mariana (Delta Lines)-- not a ferry but a cargo/passenger freighter.  Flew from Bay Area to Seattle; Amtrak to Tacoma.  Boarded ship in Tacoma.  Sailed from Tacoma through Puget Sound and down the Pacific Coast to San Francisco.  Rode SP commuter train home to Sunnyvale CA, where I was living at the time.

7) SS Badger--- Manitowoc to Ludington overnight

8) Staten Island ferries

9) Galveston Island ferry-- Galveston to Port Bolivar

10) Canal St ferry and Jackson St ferry--in New Orleans

EUROPE:

1) MS Vesteralen (Bergen Lines/ Hurtigruten)-- Bergen to Bodo  [Return to Oslo by train]

2) DFDS ferry-- Copenhagen to Oslo

3) DB and DSB ferries--- various ones from Germany to Denmark to Sweden before the bridges were built.  Trains were loaded onto the ferries!

3) Stena Line?--Hoek of Holland to Harwich with rail connections at both ends

4) Holyhead (Wales) to Dun Laoghaire ferry connection to the Irish Mail

5) Rosslare(Ireland) to Le Havre ferry with rail connections at both ends

6) Kyle of Lochalsh to Isle of Skye and then Isle of Skye to Mallaig (two ferries)

• railiner likes this

I have traveled by train since 1956 in the USA (including Alaska), Canada (including the Yukon), Mexico, Western Europe, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, and Zimbabwe.
My last pre-Amtrak trip was the Texas Chief from Ft. Worth to Chicago and the Capitol Limited from Chicago (Northwestern station) to Washington D.C.
I rode my first Amtrak train in April 1972. I have ridden nearly all the long-distance routes including the Texas Chief (Lone Star), Inter-American, Panama Limited, National Limited, Pioneer, Desert Wind, Spirit of California, Sunset Limited (Florida extension), Broadway Limited, and Chief. I also rode the Rio Grande Zephyr, Southern Crescent, Peoria Rocket, Georgia RR mixed train, and Soo Line mixed train in the post-Amtrak era.

#280 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:48 AM

Over the years I've had the opportunity to use ferries and coastal ships for travel---in many cases in conjunction with a rail trip.

NORTH AMERICA:

1) Alaska State Ferries: two trips.   Seattle to Skagway connecting with the WP&Y to Whitehorse.   Sitka to Skagway also connecting with the WP&Y (later returned to Juneau by ferry from Skagway)

2) Washington State Ferries:  various trips

3) Black Ball Ferry Line:  Port Angeles to Victoria

4) BC ferries:  Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay

5) Princess of Vancouver:  Nanaimo to N. Vancouver?  [Rode in conjunction with an RDC trip on Vancouver Island]

6) SS Santa Mariana (Delta Lines)-- not a ferry but a cargo/passenger freighter.  Flew from Bay Area to Seattle; Amtrak to Tacoma.  Boarded ship in Tacoma.  Sailed from Tacoma through Puget Sound and down the Pacific Coast to San Francisco.  Rode SP commuter train home to Sunnyvale CA, where I was living at the time.

7) SS Badger--- Manitowoc to Ludington overnight

8) Staten Island ferries

9) Galveston Island ferry-- Galveston to Port Bolivar

10) Canal St ferry and Jackson St ferry--in New Orleans

EUROPE:

1) MS Vesteralen (Bergen Lines/ Hurtigruten)-- Bergen to Bodo  [Return to Oslo by train]

2) DFDS ferry-- Copenhagen to Oslo

3) DB and DSB ferries--- various ones from Germany to Denmark to Sweden before the bridges were built.  Trains were loaded onto the ferries!

3) Stena Line?--Hoek of Holland to Harwich with rail connections at both ends

4) Holyhead (Wales) to Dun Laoghaire ferry connection to the Irish Mail

5) Rosslare(Ireland) to Le Havre ferry with rail connections at both ends

6) Kyle of Lochalsh to Isle of Skye and then Isle of Skye to Mallaig (two ferries)

That's a nice collection...surprised you did not include the Hornblower San Francisco ferries, so close to your home.... :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users