Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Ferries, Ferries, and still more Ferries

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#261 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,026 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:35 PM

My favorite ferry has to be the (Barberi Class) Staten Island Ferry. I love the route, I love the look, and I love that it's the largest ferry in the world.Staten_island_ferry_2.jpg

And it's still Free!!!!😎😊😊😊
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#262 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,026 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:36 PM

My favorite ferry has to be the (Barberi Class) Staten Island Ferry. I love the route, I love the look, and I love that it's the largest ferry in the world.Staten_island_ferry_2.jpg

And it's still Free!!!!😎😊😊😊
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#263 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:42 PM

It may be the largest in terms of maximum passengers carried, an incredible 6,000+ in the 'rush hour',  but it's no match in size for some of the huge ferry's that operate in Europe, that are more like ocean liner's.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#264 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,805 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:50 AM

It may be the largest in terms of maximum passengers carried, an incredible 6,000+ in the 'rush hour',  but it's no match in size for some of the huge ferry's that operate in Europe, that are more like ocean liner's.

Is it actually larger than Star Ferry in Hong Kong that runs between Victoria (Central) and Kowloon (Tsim Sha Tsui)?

Looks like Star Ferry carried something like 8,000 to 10,000 more per day than Staten Island Ferry. And Star Ferry is not even free. It can be paid for using their own token or the Octopus Card at the entry turnstiles.

#265 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:21 AM

And it's still Free!!!!

Yep, that certainly doesn't hurt!  ;)

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#266 Maglev

Maglev

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:16 PM

My favorite ferry has to be the (Barberi Class) Staten Island Ferry. I love the route, I love the look, and I love that it's the largest ferry in the world.

And it's still Free!!!!

Yep, that certainly doesn't hurt!  ;)

It is free for walk-on passengers to travel within the San Juan Islands on Washington State Ferries.  Except on weekends during the winter quarter schedule, there is one vessel which sails an exclusively interisland route.  

Northeast corridor Heritage, Metroliner, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#267 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:36 PM

Is it actually larger than Star Ferry in Hong Kong that runs between Victoria (Central) and Kowloon (Tsim Sha Tsui)?

Looks like Star Ferry carried something like 8,000 to 10,000 more per day than Staten Island Ferry. And Star Ferry is not even free. It can be paid for using their own token or the Octopus Card at the entry turnstiles.

The Barberi Class I believe are the largest single boats in capacity....Star Ferry carries more per day total of all its boats...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#268 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:50 PM

The Barberi Class I believe are the largest single boats in capacity....Star Ferry carries more per day total of all its boats...

They might be physically smaller than some cruise ships, but it definitely has (I think significantly) greater passenger capacity than anything else on the water.

Edited by cpotisch, 07 June 2018 - 08:01 AM.

• railiner likes this
Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#269 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:21 AM

I agree with that, as far as ferry's go.   The big Euro ferry's only carry about 2100 passengers, plus auto's.

The most souls on board currently must go to the Royal Caribbean mega cruise ships of the 'Oasis' class.   They carry over 6.000 passenger,s plus a couple of thousand more in crew.  

But the all time record, goes to the RMS Queen Mary, when serving as a troop ship during World War II, carrying  16,683 troops, plus crew!

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users