Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Ferries, Ferries, and still more Ferries

• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#241 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,167 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:04 PM

Stunning photography!   Thanks so much for posting!  :hi:

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#242 Maglev

Maglev

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

I just booked my passage on the 1967-built MV Hyak from Orcas Island to Anacortes to attend the 2017 AU Gathering.  The ferries do not connect with the train to Portland in the morning, so I have to go to the mainland the night before.

It has been a rough summer for ferries in the San Juan Islands.  One of our 50-year-old ferries went down right at the same time that the fleet's spare vessel was also out of commission.  This resulted in several cancellations, including one of two daily international sailings from Anacortes to Sidney, BC.  And at another time this summer, our brand-new MV Samish experienced engine problems and was out of commission for a week.

For those not familiar with Washington State Ferries, "Washington State Ferries operates the largest ferry fleet in the United States. 23 ferries cross Puget Sound and its inland waterways, carrying over 23 million passengers. From Tacoma, Washington, to Sidney, British Columbia, we travel up and down the Sound, acting as a marine highway for commercial users, tourists and daily commuters alike."

Post edited to add picture of MV Yakima as seen from MV Hyak.

Attached Files

Edited by Maglev, 02 October 2017 - 01:07 AM.

Northeast corridor Heritage, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#243 Maglev

Maglev

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 02 October 2017 - 12:55 AM

This is the Pierce County, Washington, ferry at Steilacoom, as seen from Amtrak Cascades train 516 (sorry about the glare):

Attached Files

Northeast corridor Heritage, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#244 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:19 AM

Most airline passengers now use the new Pedestrian Tunnel under the 400' wide Harbour entrance to reach Billy Bishop Airport on Toronto Island......but the Ferry still runs for vehicles and passengers are free to use it for the minute and a half crossing:

https://www.portstor...Ferry-Facts.pdf

Attached Files

Edited by NS VIA Fan, 08 October 2017 - 08:05 AM.

#245 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:20 AM

>

Attached Files

#246 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,175 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:58 AM

Nice pics and brings back good memories from Toronto the Good!😎
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#247 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,167 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:55 AM

Fabulous shots, and especially appreciated the history....

I still have to wonder why they couldn't have widened that tunnel to allow vehicular use?    I suppose they would have had a huge expense, and probably had to lengthen it as well for a manageable grade...it probably was simply not cost-effective for the amount of traffic that would use it....probably would have eliminated the Center Island and Ward's Island ferries, as well.... 

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#248 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:09 AM

Due to the depth of the tunnel there would be no room for the sloped grade required for approach roads. Even on the mainland side you have to go straight down to the tunnel entrance by elevator. There is no room for an sloped escalator bank like that in photo #2 on the Island side.

Edited by NS VIA Fan, 08 October 2017 - 10:09 AM.

#249 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,167 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:07 PM

That's what I thought...perhaps they could have built a vehicular crossing at the Ward's Island end?  

But again probably not cost-effective, and I suppose some residing on the islands would not have wanted it, anyway....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users