#1 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,989 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:34 PM

Can't beat the still free Staten Island Ferry...a great ride across Upper New York Bay.....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#2 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,396 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, politics, history, business, video games, weapons, machinery, and military tactics.

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:48 PM

Can't beat the still free Staten Island Ferry...a great ride across Upper New York Bay.....

Yes, yes, a much better deal that the $6 Express Bus that takes a detour through Brooklyn.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
LINER ANVIL
PROUD HATER OF THE D4505, TD925, AND T2145
MCI 102DL3WC INTERCITY MOTORCOACH SUPREMACY Professional Drivers Commited to Safety 1-800-SAFE-BUS SEATING CAPACITY: 50 PASSENGERS PT70414
TAKE IT EASY  TAKE THE GREYHOUND
OPERATOR: GREYHOUND CANADA TRANSPORTATION CORP. CAGARY, AB NSC-000026177, FHA-MC-304126 TARE 15,000 KGS GVW 20,140 KGS
DETROIT DIESEL SERIES 60

#3 AlanB

AlanB

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,342 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

It's the poor man's tour of the Statue of Liberty. Great views, even though you can't get right up next to the base of the statue.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#4 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,396 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, politics, history, business, video games, weapons, machinery, and military tactics.

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:04 PM

It's the poor man's tour of the Statue of Liberty. Great views, even though you can't get right up next to the base of the statue.

Still seems to be an useful transport option to get to Staten Island. Otherwise there's the R to Bay Ridge plus S79 SBS. Or the really expensive express bus.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
LINER ANVIL
MCI 102DL3WC INTERCITY MOTORCOACH SUPREMACY Professional Drivers Commited to Safety 1-800-SAFE-BUS SEATING CAPACITY: 50 PASSENGERS PT70414
OPERATOR: GREYHOUND CANADA TRANSPORTATION CORP. CAGARY, AB NSC-000026177, FHA-MC-304126 TARE 15,000 KGS GVW 20,140 KGS
DETROIT DIESEL SERIES 60

#5 Texan Eagle

Texan Eagle

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

Call me poor man, but every time I have been to NYC, or taken friends or family to NYC, I have always done Staten Island Ferry roundtrip instead of actually paying to go to Statue of Liberty. Nice views for free, and on any trip, especially in evenings, there are always a whole bunch of people who are doing the joyride roundtrip who run out the doors at Staten Island to line up on the other side to take the ferry back. Fun times :D

#6 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,738 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

:cool: The Staten Island Ferry is the best travel Deal in North America! Its great to take the Ferry to the Island, have a Hot Dog or Pizza while looking @ Manhattan across the Water on a Sunny Day, then take the ride Back! When you leave the Terminal the Knock Off Designer Salesmen will be waiting to Sell you Fake Designer Purses etc. @ Medium to High Prices!  Buyer Beware! :giggle:

Edited by jimhudson, 09 August 2013 - 06:18 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#7 RRUserious

RRUserious

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

Doubt I'll ever spend a day in New York. But I love ferries, so that'd be high on my list if I did visit.

#8 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,989 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

I especially like to ride the ferry departures that will give a good view of cruise ships sailing away from Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Bayonne.....a nice treat. :cool:

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#9 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,738 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

Doubt I'll ever spend a day in New York. But I love ferries, so that'd be high on my list if I did visit.

I like Ferries also! :wub:  New Orleans has  the Free Algiers Ferry across the Mississippi River and Seattle has Ferries (you Pay to ride these) to various Places including Victoria in Canada and Alaska! I especially like to ride the Bambridge(sp???) Island Ferry to have Lunch on the Island as a Day Trip!

The Bay Area also has lots of Ferries as I'm sure you know!  ;)

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#10 RRUserious

RRUserious

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

The ones I've ridden the most are in Puget Sound.

#11 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,396 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:17 PM

I've ridden those, too! Pretty nice, I would like to try out the Alaska Marine Highway.

Somehow a thread about a crashed 737 turned into a thread about ferries.....oh, AU! ;)

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
LINER ANVIL
DETROIT DIESEL SERIES 60

#12 NW cannonball

NW cannonball

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • Interests:People and places
    Justice
    Transport economics
    Techie stuff
    Grandchildren

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:17 AM

I've ridden those, too! Pretty nice, I would like to try out the Alaska Marine Highway.

Somehow a thread about a crashed 737 turned into a thread about ferries.....oh, AU! ;)

Is there some way to  create a "branch" thread that would preserve the good  postings when a thread diverges like this - to preserve to very useful history of postings  but kind of restart with a new title?

Anyhow, I totally agree that the Staten Island ferry is a super good deal.   And the Washington State Ferries are super cool.  New Orleans, sorry not been there yet. 

Trains experienced:

AMTRAK - Empire Builder, SW Chief, Coast Starlight, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Capital Limited, NER, Silver Star, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades.

Great Northern - Winnipegger, Red River, Empire Builder.

NYC - Pacemaker

Commuter lines - NM RailRunner, Metra, Northstar

outside USA - NS, DB, ÖBB, JR (Tokaido & Sanyo shinkansen, JRE (Tokyo area), JR Shikoku

#13 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,502 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:20 AM

The Algiers Ferry in New Orleans is kind of neat. A short ride with great views.

#14 RRUserious

RRUserious

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

It may be a bit more than a "ferry" but anyone go from England to Ireland by sea?

#15 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,738 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

It may be a bit more than a "ferry" but anyone go from England to Ireland by sea?

:cool:  Great idea! Ive gone in the opposite direction to France on a Ferry, I would like to ride the Chunnell Train if I ever go back to England! Right now Regional Flights in Europe are really cheap, less than Ferries and Trains, so I'm wondering if eventually the Passenger Ferries will end up going away??  :(

Edited by jimhudson, 10 August 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#16 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,738 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

The Algiers Ferry in New Orleans is kind of neat. A short ride with great views.

Great (and not so Great) minds think alike! ;)

#17 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,196 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

Bucket list item for me is to take the Cape May-Lewes ferry from Lewes, leaving my car in Lewes, explore Cape May then back to Lewes.

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#18 RRUserious

RRUserious

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

I and my family rode the ferry from Nova Scotia to Bar Harbor Maine.

#19 June the Coach Rider

June the Coach Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Interests:Disabled, so interests are mainly watching sports or traveling by train.

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

On my bucket list is the ferry from Dana Point, CA to Santa Catalina Island, maybe next year as I don't think they will be doing it in November and if they are, maybe I will take it then.

#20 xyzzy

xyzzy

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

North Carolina has the second largest state-owned ferry system in the country. 24 vessels for the 7 regular routes. Longest one-way run is 2.5 hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users