Silver Star/Silver Meteor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Every January we book the Capitol from Cleveland to Washington, then the Silver Meteor to Winter Haven, FL. In the past the only Silver option given was the Meteor. Now Amtrak offers the Silver Star also. What has changed to allow them to do that? Personally, I would much rather take the Star because it leaves DC 4 hours earlier.

I've been doing a happy dance since I heard the news, I think here, awhile ago. Now if they would just let the star discharge passengers in FBG, my joy would be complete. I would never, ever have to take the bus to Orlando(unless on a 2 or 3 zone award). I could take the star, visit family in FBG, and then if I wanted to go to PGH, take a regional to get to the Cap. :)

Note that the connection to the Silver Star is available only southbound. Northbound, your only option is still the Silver Meteor.

The CL improved their OTP, and now a connection to 91 is allowed and guaranteed. Plus many on the Star route in NC and SC complained that they could not connect without an overnight stay.

Do you know how Amtrak uses OTP for guarenteed connections?

Note that the connection to the Silver Star is available only southbound. Northbound, your only option is still the Silver Meteor.
I just booked an AGR Reward involving connection between the Cap and Silver Service and the Agent said the Silver Star option was not in her system. Rather than argue and push, I went ahead and took the Silver Meteor connection for insurance and when I get into DC if the time looks good will phone AGR and see about being able to being able to switch over to the Star. But since that will be a Sunday I just hope AGR phones are open that day.

I just booked an AGR Reward involving connection between the Cap and Silver Service and the Agent said the Silver Star option was not in her system. Rather than argue and push, I went ahead and took the Silver Meteor connection for insurance and when I get into DC if the time looks good will phone AGR and see about being able to being able to switch over to the Star. But since that will be a Sunday I just hope AGR phones are open that day.
Call back to AGR and Modify, Not Cancel, your Rez! The Cap to Star Connection is Now Guaranteed and in the System, I just Booked it this week for a Trip in October on a 2 Zone Award! If you wait the Silver Train Sleepers will probably be Full, they are Popular Trains!

Thanks Jim! What is interesting is when I book from Norman OK the Cap to Star connection does not show but when I look at from Chicago the connection does show. Looks like they still have to get some updating done :)

Thanks Jim! What is interesting is when I book from Norman OK the Cap to Star connection does not show but when I look at from Chicago the connection does show. Looks like they still have to get some updating done :)
You can PM the AgR insider at flyertalk to ask about adding the routing to arrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call back to AGR and Modify, Not Cancel, your Rez! The Cap to Star Connection is Now Guaranteed and in the System, I just Booked it this week for a Trip in October on a 2 Zone Award! If you wait the Silver Train Sleepers will probably be Full, they are Popular Trains!
Done! The Agent was very helpful and quite fascinated the connection showed out of Chicago but not out of Norman, explaining they are constantly doing updates in ARROW. But with a couple swishes of the keyboard she had it done and my modified eTicket was in the box before I got off the phone. Yes, it pays to do your homework and be friendly with the Agent.

So now I get to enjoy both Silvers but now have to start fattening the Points Kitty back up :)

Done! The Agent was very helpful and quite fascinated the connection showed out of Chicago but not out of Norman, explaining they are constantly doing updates in ARROW. But with a couple swishes of the keyboard she had it done and my modified eTicket was in the box before I got off the phone. Yes, it pays to do your homework and be friendly with the Agent.

So now I get to enjoy both Silvers but now have to start fattening the Points Kitty back up :)
:hi: :cool: :)

Yes, we just booked AGR via CL to Silver Star connection for January and am very pleased we will finally be able to ride the Star to Fla. (Even though it will still be dark in the Carolinas :giggle: . We also will go home via Silver Meteor to NYP and Lake Shore back to Cle. Another added bonus of train travel to CLE. Bedrooms all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back