Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Status of Amtrak Status Maps - dixielandsoftware

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 montana mike

montana mike

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts
  • Interests:Skiing, golf, hiking, train trips!

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:31 PM

dumb answer!!!

I try to explain how things should NOT happen if they are properly set up and all you spew is stuff about "fecal matter", as if web sites go down for NO reasons at all.   Unless you are in the business, as we are and have been for 11 years, this should not have happened-period.   Yes, sites go down for very short time frames, but we are now closing in on 48 hours for a major e-commerce site that likely has hundreds of thousand of hits each day.   

S**t does not happen if it is done right.

Edited by montana mike, 13 October 2015 - 07:36 PM.

#42 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,503 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:37 PM

You asked about Google and Amazon being down and I provided recent examples. I'd be a little upset too if my point were deconstructed so completely.

If only we were all as perfect as you are, the trains would run on time and the website would be perpetually available. :rolleyes:

**** always happens. Always.

Attached File  giphy.gif   109.37KB   27 downloads

Attached File  da3eb6c93ca3cdb2cd1a8f9f01a4edf9d976d3abb1f7b55fc05638347011818a.jpg   40.95KB   27 downloads

Edited by Ryan, 13 October 2015 - 09:56 PM.

Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#43 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:59 PM

Let's ensure that the discussion does not degenerate into personal attacks. Thanks.

#44 Phil S

Phil S

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:26 AM

10:24 PST. Amtrak.com dysfunctional. Can't make reservations. I don't see how to get to Track A Train. OTOH, the alternative track a train works fine. Amtrak Status Map (jb Dixieland) seems to be working fine. Sorry, I have to agree with Mike -  this should not be happening, even given the extreme complexity of what Amtrak.com does (reservations, award stuff, system status map, etc). Just one opinion!

Phil S

US trains taken: Starlight, Zephyr (through both Wyo and Utah/Colorado), Lake Shore, Palmetto, SW Chief, Sunset, Southern Crescent, Cardinal, Carolinian, NEC Boston to Washington (including Night Owl though not yet on Accela), EB, NorthCoastHiawatha, Desert Wind, DRG through Colorado, Silver Star (NYP/CRN), Capital Limited, Wolverine, Seattle to Vancouver BC (before it was called the Sounder and since), probably others. 
Canada: CP (Vancouver/Calgary), CN (Calgary/Edmonton rail car. Edmonton/Pr George, Vancouver/Toronto. Toronto/Montreal, Montreal/Halifax), Prince George/Prince Rupert and BC Rail.,

Europe: All western European countries except Portugal and Ireland

Finland, Russia, Ukraine, Moldova,  Romania, East Germany, Czechoslovakia, Hungary,Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Greece

Mexico, Costa Rica, Tunisia, Algeria, and Japan.  

#45 NW cannonball

NW cannonball

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • Interests:People and places
    Justice
    Transport economics
    Techie stuff
    Grandchildren

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:38 AM

Amtrak.com seems back to normal now.  I had to clear my firefox cache (and delete some cookies just for good measure) and I have no current reservations, so I can't test many functions,

But it seems to be back up and running.

As for the dixielandsoftware status maps, the official datafeed only came online an hour or 4 ago, some of the Western LD trains that departed during the downtime are not yet showing there , but mostly OK.  Thanks, John

Glad that disruption is over with.

Take care, take trains.

Edited by NW cannonball, 14 October 2015 - 02:39 AM.

Trains experienced:

AMTRAK - Empire Builder, SW Chief, Coast Starlight, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Capital Limited, NER, Silver Star, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades.

Great Northern - Winnipegger, Red River, Empire Builder.

NYC - Pacemaker

Commuter lines - NM RailRunner, Metra, Northstar

outside USA - NS, DB, ÖBB, JR (Tokaido & Sanyo shinkansen, JRE (Tokyo area), JR Shikoku

#46 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,503 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:03 AM

Sorry, I have to agree with Mike -  this should not be happening

I don't think that anyone is arguing that it should be happening, I am most definitely not.

My sole objection is the knee jerk "Fire the IT people!" cry when we have no idea why the site was down and who (or what) was actually at fault.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#47 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:15 AM

When budgets/schedules are tight, the first thing that goes is documentation.  The second thing is backups.

jb

LDS Been On:

Old: Phoebe Snow (EL), Montrealer (AT), Laurentian (D&H)

RBBB: St. Petersburg - W. Palm Beach, Lakeland - Atlanta, Baltimore - NYC, Rochester, NY - Hartford, Albuquerque - Salt Lake City, Denver - Chicago

Modern: Ocean (VIA), Silver Star, Capitol Limited, Texas Eagle, Autotrain, Carolinian, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr, Lake Shore Limited

#48 xyzzy

xyzzy

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:08 AM

When budgets/schedules are tight, the first thing that goes is documentation.  The second thing is backups.

Third, fourth, fifth, and sixth are code reviews, formal testing, formal change control/config management, and escrow deposits of source code... not necessarily in that order. Have seen it happen too many times.

#49 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:31 AM

At some point, informal testing goes too.
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#50 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:10 AM

Another one of life's little disappointments.  The emailer program that sends out the Alerts is not working.  The code hasn't been touched in years.  And it looks normal.  I suspect there's trouble with my ISP's SMTP server, but I have yet to pin it down.

jb

LDS Been On:

RBBB: St. Petersburg - W. Palm Beach, Lakeland - Atlanta, Baltimore - NYC, Rochester, NY - Hartford, Albuquerque - Salt Lake City, Denver - Chicago

Modern: Ocean (VIA), Silver Star, Capitol Limited, Texas Eagle, Autotrain, Carolinian, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr, Lake Shore Limited

#51 NW cannonball

NW cannonball

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • Interests:People and places
    Justice
    Transport economics
    Techie stuff
    Grandchildren

Posted 16 October 2015 - 06:17 AM

Thanks JB for keeping your service running.  It's helped me and many others I know.

Trains experienced:

AMTRAK - Empire Builder, SW Chief, Coast Starlight, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Capital Limited, NER, Silver Star, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades.

Great Northern - Winnipegger, Red River, Empire Builder.

NYC - Pacemaker

Commuter lines - NM RailRunner, Metra, Northstar

outside USA - NS, DB, ÖBB, JR (Tokaido & Sanyo shinkansen, JRE (Tokyo area), JR Shikoku

#52 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 04:31 PM

Another one of life's little disappointments.  The emailer program that sends out the Alerts is not working.  The code hasn't been touched in years.  And it looks normal.  I suspect there's trouble with my ISP's SMTP server, but I have yet to pin it down.

jb

Yep, the ISP implemented a security protocol.  It took a while but we're back in business.

jb

LDS Been On:

#53 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:20 PM

Had a little bit of trouble this morning.  Amtrak changed something with its website and it took me a little while to adapt things to it. 

This will affect

Amtrak Status Maps - they're working and they are "catching up"

ASM Alerts               - ditto

Station Status Boards

Amsnag - I have notified Paul.

jb

LDS Been On:

#54 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:08 AM

The system seems to be uncooperative this morning (1/2/2016).  Unfortunately, I won't be able to deal with it until this evening.

It may be working, but it doesn't look like it.  This affects:

Amtrak Status Maps

ASM Alerts

Station Status Boards

jb

LDS Been On:

#55 ScottRu

ScottRu

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:58 AM

Good luck, John. And thanks for all your efforts on our behalf.

#56 Trollopian

Trollopian

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 03:19 PM

I associate myself with the remarks of the gentleman from Massachusetts (Scott).  I'm a big fan of the status maps, and have several ongoing alerts just to monitor the performance of my pet trains, even when I have no travel planned.  Thanks, John, for this labor of love.  

#57 Chey

Chey

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:North American passenger trains, especially Amtrak and VIA

Posted 02 January 2016 - 05:40 PM

I associate myself with the remarks of the gentleman from Massachusetts (Scott).  I'm a big fan of the status maps, and have several ongoing alerts just to monitor the performance of my pet trains, even when I have no travel planned.  Thanks, John, for this labor of love.  

Ditto that

#58 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:07 PM

The system (several ancient machines) collectively decided to quit working yesterday morning, while I was not at home.  I worked on them last night and had only very slight success.  Late this morning I was finally able to get them calmed down enough to where they would cooperate with each other.  We're back online - for now.

jb

LDS Been On:

#59 Chey

Chey

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:North American passenger trains, especially Amtrak and VIA

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:54 PM

John, I have a question that you may (or not) be able to answer. When I see a blank instead of a time for a stop, I know if I look in the Amtrak train status it's going to say "Status Unavailable."  So are they recorded manually and skipped when they're too busy? It's just surprising to me when it happens for a major station on a route; in this case SAS for the SL westbound (1). No record of when it got to SAS and no record of when it left (01/03/16). I know this is a particularly busy station, what with the switchings of the 421 and 422 from/to the Eagle..

Edited by Chey, 03 January 2016 - 02:58 PM.

#60 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:43 PM

John, I have a question that you may (or not) be able to answer. When I see a blank instead of a time for a stop, I know if I look in the Amtrak train status it's going to say "Status Unavailable."  So are they recorded manually and skipped when they're too busy? It's just surprising to me when it happens for a major station on a route; in this case SAS for the SL westbound (1). No record of when it got to SAS and no record of when it left (01/03/16). I know this is a particularly busy station, what with the switchings of the 421 and 422 from/to the Eagle..

Concerning the blanks shown in my system, blanks are shown until Amtrak presents a time for a train on their website.  Yesterday into today, my system was a mess, so you can't go by that for that time period.

If you're talking about Amtrak itself recording a time at a station, they have (I'm guessing) at least four ways to enter it:

•  they detect the GPS coordinates of a train's lead engine - this is, I think, the predominant way of doing things,  They don't always have things defined correctly, though, so sometimes times are omitted in their reservations system.
  • an Amtrak agent can enter the time into the system
  • an Amtrak dispatcher (on Amtrak owned/operated lines) can enter the time into the system
  • an Amtrak IT person can enter the time

Obviously, the most automatic way is the GPS system, but when it's down or there's a mistake in it, or perhaps even when an unusual move happens, the times can be wrong, or omitted.

Someone else with more direct knowledge is invited to chime in.

jb

Edited by John Bobinyec, 03 January 2016 - 03:44 PM.

LDS Been On:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users