Status of Amtrak Status Maps - dixielandsoftware

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor
Is it just me or is anyone else having problems with "slowness" and "no data received" last evening and this morning Thursday, June 27 with both dixieland software and the status map?

Is it just me or is anyone else having problems with "slowness" and "no data received" last evening and this morning Thursday, June 27 with both dixieland software and the status map?
I haven't noticed anything amiss.

Do you mean the maps are being updated infrequently?

Do you mean the data for particular trains at certain stations is missing?

Do you mean that your browser is loading the page very slowly or not at all?

Can you try another browser or a different computer/device?

jb

Working fine here... closely tracking #1 to see how much time it can make up after yesterday and it's updating fine.

As a general rule, if you're having trouble with more than one site... the trouble is usually yours.

I am having trouble with no other sites on all three browsers--Chrome, Firefox, and IE. Until last evening I had no problem. The problem I am having is that the "page" is not loading in my browser or taking a very long time. This morning I get a message that site cannot be loaded in all three browsers. Just now I got to the page with the map where you can click on the "west" area but when I click on the West area I still get message page cannot be loaded. Until yesterday, I had no problem.

I am having trouble with no other sites on all three browsers--Chrome, Firefox, and IE. Until last evening I had no problem. The problem I am having is that the "page" is not loading in my browser or taking a very long time. This morning I get a message that site cannot be loaded in all three browsers. Just now I got to the page with the map where you can click on the "west" area but when I click on the West area I still get message page cannot be loaded. Until yesterday, I had no problem.
Sounds like there are network issues between you and the commercial server that I'm using right now. I have two commercial servers that I use for exactly this reason. I can switch to the other one, but would rather not. Tell you what - check back with us in two hours - 12.15 p.m. EDT and let us know what's going on. I can switch the servers, but even still it takes a couple of hours.

jb

Thanks, John. Just checked and the pages are downloading ok for me now. I just need to learn some patience when this happens. Even though I only travel couple times a year on Amtrak, I enjoy keeping up with the statuses etc almost daily. You can say I am "addicted". I appreciate you creating the sites and making them available.

They updated Chrome on Friday, It hosed my Norton so I am back suffering with IE. God only knows what impact it had on other apps. Oh well, Google owns the world, they can do as they please

Amtrak Status Maps, et al, is on the fritz now (6/1/2015 8 a.m. EDT). Seems like both web hosting companies are having problems. They are resetting the domain. This could take a while.

jb

Well, the domain is registered with company A. Normally it forwards everything to Company B. That wasn't working so I put in a request to stop the forwarding. The request wasn't getting executed and was "pending". I contacted Company A support and informed them about it. They said they see that the request is hung up and in order to free things up, they "reset the domain." That could take between 4 and 24 hours, they say.

jb

There have also been problems this week with the domain name servers used by comcast, causing browsers to slow or stall on computers using comcast as their internet service provider. It is possible to -- in a simple manner - tell your browser to use another, public domain name server, such as Google's domain name servers.

Determining and modifying the DNS resolution is a dead simple task for IT folks. That being said there is no evidence this outage has anything to do with Comcast and I'm not about start suggesting average computer users to begin disabling DHCP and creating their own DNS server entries.

Due to an enhancement to the "Alternate Track-A-Train" that Train2104 recently made, I have added another icon to the trains' listings:

When you list out a train's performance, the leftmost icon on the top row opens up the "Alternate Track-A-Train" map, but zoomed in to the location of the train which you're looking at. The rightmost icon yields the map of the United States, un-zoomed.

jb

You can use DHCP to assign your IP addresses ar the same time that you choose your own DNS addresses that are different from the defaults. In my case, I use the DNS sites that Google runs on all of my pc's. I set my primary DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and my secondary DNS server to 8.8.4.4, per the Google instructions. Works very well.

At the moment (early Sunday afternoon), it appears that Status Maps is down. Shows the last update was at 3:01 AM on Sunday, September 13. So did Amtrak do an update to the data interface that broke Status Maps or did the data feed go off-line?

At the moment (early Sunday afternoon), it appears that Status Maps is down. Shows the last update was at 3:01 AM on Sunday, September 13. So did Amtrak do an update to the data interface that broke Status Maps or did the data feed go off-line?
Hopefully it's just a temporary problem; amtrak.com looks to be reporting the data in the same format (I think).

Back