Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Status of Amtrak Status Maps - dixielandsoftware

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#21 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,163 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 06 June 2015 - 01:22 AM

Determining and modifying the DNS resolution is a dead simple task for IT folks.  That being said there is no evidence this outage has anything to do with Comcast and I'm not about start suggesting average computer users to begin disabling DHCP and creating their own DNS server entries.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#22 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:20 PM

Due to an enhancement to the "Alternate Track-A-Train" that Train2104 recently made, I have added another icon to the trains' listings:

When you list out a train's performance, the leftmost icon on the top row opens up the "Alternate Track-A-Train" map, but zoomed in to the location of the train which you're looking at.  The rightmost icon yields the map of the United States, un-zoomed.

jb

LDS Been On:

Old: Phoebe Snow (EL), Montrealer (AT), Laurentian (D&H)

RBBB: St. Petersburg - W. Palm Beach, Lakeland - Atlanta, Baltimore - NYC, Rochester, NY - Hartford, Albuquerque - Salt Lake City, Denver - Chicago

Modern: Ocean (VIA), Silver Star, Capitol Limited, Texas Eagle, Autotrain, Carolinian, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr, Lake Shore Limited

#23 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:28 AM

You can use DHCP to assign your IP addresses ar the same time that you choose your own DNS addresses that are different from the defaults. In my case, I use the DNS sites that Google runs on all of my pc's. I set my primary DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and my secondary DNS server to 8.8.4.4, per the Google instructions. Works very well.

#24 afigg

afigg

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 01:13 PM

At the moment (early Sunday afternoon), it appears that Status Maps is down. Shows the last update was at 3:01 AM on Sunday, September 13. So did Amtrak do an update to the data interface that broke Status Maps or did the data feed go off-line?

#25 acelafan

acelafan

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:50 PM

At the moment (early Sunday afternoon), it appears that Status Maps is down. Shows the last update was at 3:01 AM on Sunday, September 13. So did Amtrak do an update to the data interface that broke Status Maps or did the data feed go off-line?

Hopefully it's just a temporary problem; amtrak.com looks to be reporting the data in the same format (I think).

ASMAD - Has your train been running on time?

Amtrak Timetable Archives - PDFs since 2009

#26 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:44 AM

Amtrak changed the size of the file that they send back from a status query.  I check the size of the file and since they were suddenly smaller than a threshold that I use, they were being flagged as errors.  I do this because when Amtrak refuses to answer a query, their response file is smaller than one where they actually give the information that I want.  It's a method that I use to see if they are trying to shut me off.  Anyway, they were providing the information okay, but because the files were a bit smaller, I thought there were problems.  That effectively shut the system down.  I was busy and didn't get to check and fix the problem until much later in the day.

jb

LDS Been On:

RBBB: St. Petersburg - W. Palm Beach, Lakeland - Atlanta, Baltimore - NYC, Rochester, NY - Hartford, Albuquerque - Salt Lake City, Denver - Chicago

Modern: Ocean (VIA), Silver Star, Capitol Limited, Texas Eagle, Autotrain, Carolinian, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr, Lake Shore Limited

#27 Agent

Agent

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:24 AM

Some trains are still missing from the map.  #6(12) for example.

#28 AmtrakLKL

AmtrakLKL

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:02 PM

Glad it wasn't a major change. Back in my data analysis days, I had similar built-in checks to keep tabs on our IT department. They had a wonderful habit of changing things to suit them ("Oh, yeah. We ran an update last night, sorry."), but heaven forbid a user request changes. They'd mire you down in change requests forms, ROI spreadsheets and endless meetings to ensure your request didn't affect any other departments.  :rolleyes:

#29 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:52 AM

The Amtrak servers seem to be having problems this morning (10/12/2015), so that suspends Amtrak Status Maps, ASM Alerts and the Station Status Boards, until they come back up.

jb

LDS Been On:

#30 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:15 PM

Track-a-train doesn't want to open for several hours now either.

#31 montana mike

montana mike

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Interests:Skiing, golf, hiking, train trips!

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:19 PM

The Amtrak servers seem to be having problems this morning (10/12/2015), so that suspends Amtrak Status Maps, ASM Alerts and the Station Status Boards, until they come back up.

jb

Still down as of this evening.  Wow, in this day and age to have your entire web site down for this long is amazing.   No info on any of the LD trains since midday.  

#32 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:26 PM

Sure, there's info out there, you just need to know who to ask.  :giggle:

91 passed through WIL (Wilm, DE) around 1 pm.  92 passed through around 5 pm.  97 was running about 8 mins late to WIL (due in at 5:19 pm) the last time I checked (was going to wait for it to pass my SEPTA station but gave up as it lost more time).

#33 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:49 PM

If y'all check Amtrak.com right now (9.47 p.m. EDT, 10/12/2015) you'll see that Amtrak has lost their main website.  They have put up a "lite" version of it so that you can still get some information and make simple reservations.  Unfortunately, my system is incompatible with this one, so we'll just have to wait until they fix the main site.  Hopefully it won't take too long.

jb

Amtrak Status Maps

ASM Alerts

Station Status Boards

LDS Been On:

#34 tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:17 PM

If y'all check Amtrak.com right now (9.47 p.m. EDT, 10/12/2015) you'll see that Amtrak has lost their main website.  They have put up a "lite" version of it so that you can still get some information and make simple reservations.  Unfortunately, my system is incompatible with this one, so we'll just have to wait until they fix the main site.  Hopefully it won't take too long.

jb

Amtrak Status Maps

ASM Alerts

Station Status Boards

Amtrak's track-a-train still seems to be working.  It just cannot be accessed from the main site.

Over 50,000 miles traveled on Amtrak since December, 2007.  Next trip: February 18, 2018 - HOM-CHI

Amtrak trains traveled on as of October, 2017:  Pere Marquette, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Wolverine, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Pacific Surfliner, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Cardinal, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Lake Shore Limited, Heartland Flyer, Amtrak Cascades and Ethan Allen

#35 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:20 PM

jb

Amtrak Status Maps

ASM Alerts

Station Status Boards

Very interesting, Yesterday news reported that due to a computer glitch  the necessary boarding time was 4 hour at McCarren Airport in Las Vegas

Aloha

GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks
http://gg-1.smugmug.com/'>Picture Galleries

Posted Image

#36 montana mike

montana mike

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:48 AM

Still down.   The Amtrak IT guys need to be fired.   

#37 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,507 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:44 PM

Because we totally know that it's all their fault. :rolleyes:

People that demand that someone gets fired without a clue as to what's going on should be shot. (See, I can make sweeping generalizations too!!!)
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#38 montana mike

montana mike

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:19 PM

OK.   I have a wee bit of history and knowledge of this business, since that is what we do, and for hundreds of people, so I believe I can speak with some assurance here.    In one way you have a point, since there could be some sinister third party that has struck and killed all of the backups they should have, et. al..... BUT with that being said web sites should not go down for days on end, especially not one of this magnitude.   Have you ever seen Amazon or Google down for more than seconds or minutes?      We have back ups and back ups for the back ups for ALL of our sites in at least three different locations in the US.  If one of our server sites is totally destroyed, within a few seconds the first backup is up and running.    The same is to be said if this is a really dumb coding error by someone trying to "update" the code over the weekend--which we never recommend or do btw (we beta test all updates off line first and more than once and then bring the new site up at one of our locations first.   If that crashes, we immediately revert to the previous version and the screwed up version is pulled off line.   

#39 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,524 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:16 PM

OK.   I have a wee bit of history and knowledge of this business, since that is what we do, and for hundreds of people, so I believe I can speak with some assurance here.    In one way you have a point, since there could be some sinister third party that has struck and killed all of the backups they should have, et. al..... BUT with that being said web sites should not go down for days on end, especially not one of this magnitude.   Have you ever seen Amazon or Google down for more than seconds or minutes?      We have back ups and back ups for the back ups for ALL of our sites in at least three different locations in the US.  If one of our server sites is totally destroyed, within a few seconds the first backup is up and running.    The same is to be said if this is a really dumb coding error by someone trying to "update" the code over the weekend--which we never recommend or do btw (we beta test all updates off line first and more than once and then bring the new site up at one of our locations first.   If that crashes, we immediately revert to the previous version and the screwed up version is pulled off line.   

:)

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

#40 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,507 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:58 PM

Have you ever seen Amazon or Google down for more than seconds or minutes?

That's good that you're in the business - that means that you should have an even better appreciation of the fact that sometimes compost occurs.

Amazon had a somewhat severe issue with AWS here just recently as a matter of fact:
http://www.crn.com/n...y-really-is.htm

As did Google Docs last week:
http://www.techtimes...rious-memes.htm

They even provide a dashboard to let you know what's up and what's down at any given time:
http://www.google.co...#hl=en&v=status

So yeah, even when best practices are follows, sometimes the fecal matter comes into contact with the rotating blades, which makes sitting back from afar without any knowledge of the specific situation pretty dumb.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users