#1 Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, AU, photography, poetry, surfing internet,

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

Guess I must have missed it when it happened, but I notice the SSL route is no longer shown on the interactive route atlas as temporarily suspended between NOL and JAX....or am I imagining it was even shown originally?

California Zephyr LNK-DEN(RT), DEN-GJT (RT), OMA-CHI(RT) 2/11, Capitol Limited CHI-WAS (RT) 2/11
Silver Meteor WAS-WPB (RT) 2/11, Empire builder FAR-CHI (RT) 3/12, CL CHI-WAS 4/12
SM WAS-WPB 4/12, SM WPB-NYP 4/12, LSL NYP-CHI 4/12, EB CHI-FAR 4/12, EB FAR-CHI 4/13, CL CHI-WAS 4/13
SM WAS-WPB 4/13, SM WPB-NYP 4/13, LSL NYP-CHI 4/13, EB CHI-FAR 4/13, SM WPB-NYP 2/14, LSL NYP-CHI 2/14
EB CHI-FAR 2/14, EB FAR-CHI 2/14, CZ CHI-DEN 2/14

Miles as of Feb 2014......23, 279', Future Plans....Coast Starlight and SW Chief

#2 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Interests:Skiing, Martial Arts, Knife Throwing, Car collecting, Train Travel, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

I've all but given up hope on the SSL connection being restored from NOL to any point in Florida. The line has been down for 9 years now. That's not temporary. Whether the official status is temporarily suspended, out of service or abandoned, it makes no difference. It is very doubtful that we will see service on this route ever again.

#3 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,827 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

I assume you mean Sunset Limited (SL), as SSL is the common abbreviation for SightSeer Lounge. To be honest, I never noticed either way on the route atlas, but it still showed it's border city on the AGR chart!:) But then again, it also showed the Broadway Limited's border city!
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead!

#4 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

It's pretty much gone. One could argue that Amtrak did an illegal removal of service without the proper 180 day notice, but (based on my "conversation") Florida Department of Transportation doesn't care. 

Unfortunately, this sets a precedent that Amtrak can pretty much get rid of any service without giving the 180 day notice....and the states won't care. :( 

#5 jimhudson

jimhudson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,875 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:16 PM

Say Goodnight Gracie! This Route  is History like so many Famous Trains and Routes  from our Past! :(

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

"What a Long,Strange Trip it's Been!"-  "Truckin'"-Grateful Dead

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users