#21 tomfuller

tomfuller

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • Interests:Trains, geocaching, travel.

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:05 PM

Welcome KmH, For breakfast between the southbound CS and the eastbound CZ, I have walked with my wife to Jim Denny's (12th between H & I).http://www.jim-dennys.com/

We walked east on H Street past our favorite HI Hostel which is across the street from City Hall.

Last February, My friend picked me up at the station and we checked Jim Denny's but it was closed so we went to the Denny's north of town.

There was a 24hr Denny's within walking distance of the SAC station. I have heard some bad things about the replacement restaurant.

Coming west on the CZ waiting for the northbound CS, you have the choice of many restaurants (some expensive) in Old Sacramento. I agree you should be back to the station by 9:30PM.

There are several golf cart people movers to take people with their luggage from the station to the platform if you didn't want to take the walk.

If you get into SAC early enough, you can check the luggage and then walk down to Old Sacramento and visit the California Railroad Museum. (closes at 5PM).

#22 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:43 AM

The Perko's that replaced the Denny's has mixed reviews online, but looks to have similar fare and prices to a Denny's.

I wonder what that part of downtown Sacramento is like on a Saturday afternoon/night. Just east of the Amtrak station is the US District court, and just east of the court the Sacramento County Main Jail.

For those that decide to take the 30 bus from the Amtrak station there is also a P.F. Chang's at 1530 J Street, and an Old Spaghetti Factory at 1910 J St.

Along with Perko's and Starbucks - close to the station in EZ walking distance are:

Cilantros Mexican Restaurant - 1035 5th St about 50 steps south of J street and the Subway.

Lotus Restaurant (Thai) - 425 J St.

Subway - 428 J St.

Billy's Market & Deli - 600 I Street

And on Google maps we can see all the places (including another Starbucks - open until 9 pm) in the Downtown Plaza between 4/5th streets and on the south side of J, but it looks like most of those places close in the early evening.

Edited by KmH, 15 December 2014 - 12:44 AM.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#23 tp49

tp49

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:45 AM

On another forum someone mentioned a restaurant called the Capitol Garage at 1500 15th Street just 1 block south of J street.

For those off the CZ with the approx 10 hr afternoon and evening layover waiting to catch the northbound CS (14) the Capitol Garage restaurant could be a nice place for dinner.

They have an interesting looking dinner menu, so when I am there in the fall the Capitol Garage is #1 on my list of dinner options.

Anyone with local knowledge please feel free to chime in since I have not yet been in that part of Sacramento, nor have I ever used the local bus system.

I strive to travel on a frugal budget and took note they also mentioned one could catch the local bus at the Amtrak station (4th and I street).

It looks like the 30 bus goes west (right) on I street a short distance, turns left (south) on 3rd, then another short distance (past Perko's restaurant on the southeast corner) to turn left (east) on L Street.

Get off at 15th & L street, south on 15th a block, an easily walk to the restaurant which looks to be on the southeast corner looking at Google Maps Street View.

To return to the Amtrak station go south to L street to catch the bus back to the Amtrak station.

Bus fare is $2.50 if you're 19-61 yrs old, $1.25 for 62 or over.

From the bus schedule it looks like you would want to catch the return to the Amtrak station bus on L Street no later than 9 pm or so.

https://www.google.c...43c3e6dd3fa62d9

Nothing wrong with Capitol Garage it's a good place.  I go there for happy hour and almost always forget they're a restaurant too.  It's a little small inside but the food is good and the beer is cold.

Just as an FYI, the #30 bus goes east on "J" Street and returns downtown on "L" Street.  The restaurant is actually at 15th and "K" Street.  There is no bus stop at 15th Street so anyone going there would have to get off either at 14th or 16th Streets.  Return stop on "L" Street would be closer to 17th Street in front of the Goodwill Store.

If you're feeling semi-adventurous you could stay on the 30 and take it to Rodeo Way walk to El Dorado Way (1 block east of 53d Street) and H Streets and go to Selland's Market Cafe (5340 H Street.)  Really good food and very reasonable prices as the folks who own this place also own one of the three best restaurants in town.  You can catch the 30 back to downtown at 53d and J.

As an aside the best value for RT fares would be to purchase a day pass for $6.00 as RT does not believe in transfers and will save money if taking RT to any other attractions in town.

Welcome KmH, For breakfast between the southbound CS and the eastbound CZ, I have walked with my wife to Jim Denny's (12th between H & I).http://www.jim-dennys.com/

We walked east on H Street past our favorite HI Hostel which is across the street from City Hall.

Last February, My friend picked me up at the station and we checked Jim Denny's but it was closed so we went to the Denny's north of town.

There was a 24hr Denny's within walking distance of the SAC station. I have heard some bad things about the replacement restaurant.

Coming west on the CZ waiting for the northbound CS, you have the choice of many restaurants (some expensive) in Old Sacramento. I agree you should be back to the station by 9:30PM.

There are several golf cart people movers to take people with their luggage from the station to the platform if you didn't want to take the walk.

If you get into SAC early enough, you can check the luggage and then walk down to Old Sacramento and visit the California Railroad Museum. (closes at 5PM).

Jim Denny's hours and days of operation really make me scratch my head.  They're a breakfast/lunch place in the heart of state worker country yet they're closed on Monday and Tuesday and the neighborhood it's in is pretty much dead on Saturdays and Sundays.  As for restaurants in Old Sac, honestly I'd skip the lot of them and look for something better in Midtown.

#24 tp49

tp49

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:55 AM

The Perko's that replaced the Denny's has mixed reviews online, but looks to have similar fare and prices to a Denny's.
I wonder what that part of downtown Sacramento is like on a Saturday afternoon/night. Just east of the Amtrak station is the US District court, and just east of the court the Sacramento County Main Jail.

The area's for the most part dead on a Saturday afternoon/night.

For those that decide to take the 30 bus from the Amtrak station there is also a P.F. Chang's at 1530 J Street, and an Old Spaghetti Factory at 1910 J St.

I mentioned these places in my post above yours.  :) 

Along with Perko's and Starbucks - close to the station in EZ walking distance are:
Cilantros Mexican Restaurant - 1035 5th St about 50 steps south of J street and the Subway.
Lotus Restaurant (Thai) - 425 J St.
Subway - 428 J St.
Billy's Market & Deli - 600 I Street
And on Google maps we can see all the places (including another Starbucks - open until 9 pm) in the Downtown Plaza between 4/5th streets and on the south side of J, but it looks like most of those places close in the early evening.

I wouldn't bother with Billy's at all. Google maps hasn't updated the fact that the portion of Downtown Plaza east of 5th Street was demolished. River City Brewing Company (also good, a number of folks who came for the gathering went there for lunch.) There are three places left in the food court all of which can be avoided and a Johnny Rocket's next to the movie theater.

Lotus is difficult to find because of the way that particular block is laid out and I honestly don't know if it's open on the weekend. I'll check Tuesday when I go back to work. I'll also check Cilantro's and Subway's hours.

#25 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:32 PM

I'm going to be making the CZ to CS connection in SAC on May 2 (afternoon/evening layover) and again on May 12 (morning/lunch) for the CS to CZ connection heading home.

It may be worth my while to jump on a Capitol Corridor train both days, go to Davis to eat/look around some, and rack up some extra Double Days AGR points in the process (800 points).

I'm particularly fond of good Mexican food and I see Tres Hermanas is quite close to the Davis Amtrak station.

Some Carnitas or Chili Verde with corn tortillas for an early dinner May 2, and 10 days later some Machaca with salsa verde for breakfast sure sounds good.

tp49,

Did you ever get a chance to find out Cilantro's hours?

I emailed them and got no reply, and they haven't come close to finishing their web site.

Edited by KmH, 08 April 2015 - 08:51 PM.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

#26 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,755 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:55 PM

KmH: remember you only get Double Points on two trips a day on the Double Days Promo, so if you do a RT to Davis for 400 Points (200 TQP) your LD Trains, if Paid, might not get the Double Points which would be more than 400 on the CZ/CS. Davis is a great little place for s layover!

If your LD Trains are AGR Awards it won't matter of course!

Edited by jimhudson, 08 April 2015 - 09:56 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#27 tp49

tp49

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:25 AM

tp49,

I emailed them and got no reply, and they haven't come close to finishing their web site.

7AM - 7PM Monday to Friday and 10AM-7PM Saturday.  Closed Sunday.

#28 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:43 PM

KmH: remember you only get Double Points on two trips a day on the Double Days Promo.

Yep, I forgot about that.

#29 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:47 PM

tp49,

7AM - 7PM Monday to Friday and 10AM-7PM Saturday.  Closed Sunday.

That works. 

#30 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:47 PM

Cilantro's went out of business or moved before I got to Sacramento.

The Subway at 5th & J is not open on Saturday or Sunday.

Perko's gives senior citizens a 20% discount and they open at 6 am.

Edited by KmH, 10 May 2015 - 02:24 PM.

#31 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:23 PM

Reasons I go there:

Close to station.
Earn air miles via MilesPlus Dining along with Amtrak points with their card -
a twofer!

#32 tp49

tp49

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:28 PM

I noticed that about Cilantro's the other day.  They had an eviction notice from the Sheriff in the window guess they were having financial issues.

#33 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,755 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:39 PM

Perkos is next door to the Vagabond Inn, across the Street and around the corner from the Amtrak Station!

It used to be a Denny's and the food is on a par with Dennys, not as good as breakfast in the Diner on a Train, or any meal in Davis, but it's OK for fueling up and killing time on weekends in what is basically a ghostly downtown Sacramento!

Edited by jimhudson, 10 May 2015 - 02:47 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#34 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:34 AM

Different chains define "senior citizen" differently. Do you know how Perko's defines it?

2003, 10,491 miles: Empire Builder; City of New Orleans; Cascades; Lake Shore Limited
2004,  5,670 miles: Coast Starlight; California Zephyr; Empire Builder
2005,  4,864 miles: Empire Builder; Capitol Limited; Silver Meteor; Sunset Limited; City of New Orleans
2006, 15,184 miles: Empire Builder; Capitol Limited; Silver Star; Silver Meteor; Lake Shore Limited; Pennsylvanian; Cardinal; Southwest Chief
2007,  5,425 miles: Pacific Surfliner; Empire Builder
2008, 10,025 miles: Empire Builder; Cardinal; NER; Downeaster; Acela; Lake Shore Limited; Capitol Limited; Silver Meteor
2009,  9,159 miles: Empire Builder; City of New Orleans; Lincoln Service; Texas Eagle; Coast Starlight; Cascades
2010,  4,875 miles: Empire Builder; City of New Orleans; Crescent; Acela; Lake Shore Limited
2011,  4,508 miles: Empire Builder; Lake Shore Limited; Empire Service; Silver Star
2012, 11,094 miles: NE Regional; Capitol Limited; Empire Builder; Cardinal; California Zephyr; Capitol Corridor; Coast Starlight
2013,  6,502 miles: Empire Builder; Coast Starlight; Southwest Chief; Missouri River Runner; Lincoln Service
2014,  2,759 miles: Empire Builder; Lake Shore Limited; NE Regional
2015, 32,198 miles: Capitol Limited; Empire Builder; Silver Meteor; Lake Shore Limited; Coast Starlight; California Zephyr; Southwest Chief; Sunset Limited; Crescent; NER; Acela; Cardinal; San Joaquin

2016, 19,591 miles: Empire Builder; Capitol Limited; Crescent; Sunset Limited; Coast Starlight; San Joaquin; California Zephyr; Lake Shore Limited

2017, counting: NE Regional; Maple Leaf; Empire Builder; Auto Train

#35 tomfuller

tomfuller

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • Interests:Trains, geocaching, travel.

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:53 AM

On March 16 I arrived early on the CS ( 0525). I dropped off my large bag at baggage and left the smaller one in the sleeper lounge. I left the station about 6:05  and headed east and then south on 10th past the Capitol building to the Fox and Goose. I had a very good breakfast at a reasonable price.

I went there because Jim Denny's is closed Mondays.

#36 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:16 PM

Different chains define "senior citizen" differently. Do you know how Perko's defines it?

No. I was not asked for ID to verify my age, but was given the discount after being presented with a full charge bill and asking about the discount.
I am 62.

Perko's web site says 60.
Note the 20% discount does not apply to items on the Seniors menu.

Edited by KmH, 11 May 2015 - 12:19 PM.

#37 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:28 PM

Thanks.

2003, 10,491 miles: Empire Builder; City of New Orleans; Cascades; Lake Shore Limited
2004,  5,670 miles: Coast Starlight; California Zephyr; Empire Builder
2005,  4,864 miles: Empire Builder; Capitol Limited; Silver Meteor; Sunset Limited; City of New Orleans
2006, 15,184 miles: Empire Builder; Capitol Limited; Silver Star; Silver Meteor; Lake Shore Limited; Pennsylvanian; Cardinal; Southwest Chief
2007,  5,425 miles: Pacific Surfliner; Empire Builder
2008, 10,025 miles: Empire Builder; Cardinal; NER; Downeaster; Acela; Lake Shore Limited; Capitol Limited; Silver Meteor
2009,  9,159 miles: Empire Builder; City of New Orleans; Lincoln Service; Texas Eagle; Coast Starlight; Cascades
2010,  4,875 miles: Empire Builder; City of New Orleans; Crescent; Acela; Lake Shore Limited
2011,  4,508 miles: Empire Builder; Lake Shore Limited; Empire Service; Silver Star
2012, 11,094 miles: NE Regional; Capitol Limited; Empire Builder; Cardinal; California Zephyr; Capitol Corridor; Coast Starlight
2013,  6,502 miles: Empire Builder; Coast Starlight; Southwest Chief; Missouri River Runner; Lincoln Service
2014,  2,759 miles: Empire Builder; Lake Shore Limited; NE Regional
2015, 32,198 miles: Capitol Limited; Empire Builder; Silver Meteor; Lake Shore Limited; Coast Starlight; California Zephyr; Southwest Chief; Sunset Limited; Crescent; NER; Acela; Cardinal; San Joaquin

2016, 19,591 miles: Empire Builder; Capitol Limited; Crescent; Sunset Limited; Coast Starlight; San Joaquin; California Zephyr; Lake Shore Limited

2017, counting: NE Regional; Maple Leaf; Empire Builder; Auto Train

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users