Amtrak F40 . . . With a Caboose?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VentureForth

Engineer
Before there was actual train riding, there was model railroading. Before there was American model railroading, all my stuff came from Japan. So, when I came to the US in the '90s, I didn't have a clue what I was looking for, prototypically.

So I dusted off my collection last night and came across my old LifeLike Amtrak set. It's a powered F40, and unpowered F40, and a... steel center cupola caboose???

Did these cabooses actually ever exist? They they ever trailer on a passenger train? Now that I found this set, I want to put something inbetween the F40s and the caboose. I need phase II or so... What is a good (ie: Quality and cheap!) consist that I can put behind these F40s? And would I actually ever want to run with that silly caboose?

Last edited by a moderator:
You would often find cabooses on "mixed" trains, that is passenger AND freight trains combined. It was extreamly rare to ever see a caboose on a "pure" passenger train. The caboose is considered a "freight car" and as such normally had brake rigging and couplers that were common to freight cars. Additionally, there was no "safe way" to transition from a pax car to a caboose, as the cabooses were not outfitted with tight-fitting diaphrams to allow safe passage between the two.

You will however frequently find cabooses attached to pax cars in tourist and scenic railroads.

Something like these?http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtCAB.html

I think they were primarily used on MoW trains rather then revenue service, but I could be wrong.

peter
Similar, but silver with the pointless arrow livery and an orange roof.

rrdude - I agree with you. I would imagine something from the rainbow era, but I don't think Amtrak ever ran mixed trains (except for the Express Trak). Hmmm... Maybe if I get a long Superliner consist and if I could find some Express Trak box cars, then I could put that on the end. I don't think that the livery I described ever existed on that caboose, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Amtrak cabooses were never, ever, used by Amtrak for pax service, only as part of a MOW train.

I did HOWEVER, ride in a D&RG caboose, one of many, that was sent as part of a rescue train, to a derailed Amtrak Zephyr in Glenwood Canyon in the mid 80's, so TECHNICALLY, I rode in a caboose as part of an Amtrak trip.....

No, but the original Auto-Train corporation did, Not sure at what point in its existence it started or for how long it was done, but a Google Image search for "Auto-Train caboose" yields some of the photos I ran across long ago, of them hitched to the end of their trains, which struck me as odd-looking.

---PCJ

Back