The Cardinal Train #50

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
Will be boarding the Cardinal out of Chicago in mid-July. We have never taken the Cardinal and we are taking it to or near WAS to visit friends in MD. So what will my wife and I have to look forward to? We are in sleepers and know it's a small train. We leave CUS on Saturday evening. Will we have a supper? And what kind of service should we expect? Good sightseeing? Smoke breaks? (we don't smoke but like to get out for fresh air) Thanks everyone!

They serve dinner after departure. Best scenery is in the new river area outside of Huntington, WV. I can remember Indy was a quick smoke stop. Huntington maybe. Charlottesville. Maybe one or two more

Cincinnati maybe, if you are up at that hour ( probably not ) and Ashland, which I think is a crew change point. That may not be too useful, but do enjoy the ride. It is a bare bones train, but the trip eastbound is certainly worth it. The food is not necessarily bad, but I do fondly recall the table for two with seats on one side and a big garbage receptacle on the other side, into which food scraps were emptied before my eyes. Utterly charming, let me tell you. The last word in classy atmosphere! ( The pasta dish I had out of Chicago about three years ago was pretty tasty. )

With the limited amenities on the Cardinal, we have been dissuaded from taking it. Until such time that it receives more resources it will remain one of Amtrak's more uncomfortable routes. Instead of retiring a heritage diner when 8400 made its debut on the rails they should have put that diner on the Cardinal until the Viewliner II's start being delivered in..........who knows when? What do they do instead? They keep the glorified café car (Diner lite) as its dining service car.

I take issue with Amtrak's decision to scrape heritage equipment when in fact they are so short of railroad cars. In Canada they restore heritage equipment. Here in the USA they are not restored but sold for scrap without sufficient replacements being available. Go figure.

I traveled on 50 in November 2011 and found the food to be acceptable and the scenery magnificent. The LSA on that trip was a part-time character actor who lived in New York. He informed us that he had many roles as an actor in "Law and Order." He was extremely entertaining.

If you have a Roomette, I hope it is an "odd" number room (1, 3, 5, etc...) - as that is the "good" side for viewing the New River Gorge, the most scenic trip in the east! But is in early morning eastbound (about 8 or so) and lasts only an hour or so. (Westbound it may be dark already.)

I along with my uncle are taking the Cardinal for the first time in mid-September and am much looking forward to it! We are also boarding in Chicago. We have a bedroom. As I recall from my very limited knowledge of Viewliners, the window side of the bedrooms is the same as the odd-numbered roomettes, correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
With the limited amenities on the Cardinal, we have been dissuaded from taking it. Until such time that it receives more resources it will remain one of Amtrak's more uncomfortable routes. Instead of retiring a heritage diner when 8400 made its debut on the rails they should have put that diner on the Cardinal until the Viewliner II's start being delivered in..........who knows when? What do they do instead? They keep the glorified café car (Diner lite) as its dining service car.I take issue with Amtrak's decision to scrape heritage equipment when in fact they are so short of railroad cars. In Canada they restore heritage equipment. Here in the USA they are not restored but sold for scrap without sufficient replacements being available. Go figure.
They didn't retire a Heritage diner when 8400 started running. 8400 was basically the key that allowed them to stop using Diner Lite cars on the LSL and bring back the dining cars to the LSL. Without 8400 in the mix, Amtrak barely had enough single dining cars to go around. Yes, they rolled the dice on the LSL and actually restored full diners before 8400 made it out of the shop, but the gamble worked and they didn't have any occasions that I know of where they had to downgrade service because they didn't have enough diners to go around due to OOS (Out Of Service) cars. But if they had to many OOS, then one train would have gone without a dining car prior to 8400 being restored to service.

Besides, to restore full diners to the Cardinal would require 2 dining cars; 1 isn't enough.

Yes, the bedrooms and H-Room have the window on the "odd" side also!
When I rode the Card after the STL Gathering, the Bedroom windows were on the right side of the train. So we had to stand in the hall to see the gorge.
I don't understand why, because eastbound (when your guaranteed to see it in the daylight), the Gorge is on the right side of the train. I had rooms eastbound on both sides, and the right side is MUCH more scenic.

Will be boarding the Cardinal out of Chicago in mid-July. We have never taken the Cardinal and we are taking it to or near WAS to visit friends in MD. So what will my wife and I have to look forward to? We are in sleepers and know it's a small train. We leave CUS on Saturday evening. Will we have a supper? And what kind of service should we expect? Good sightseeing? Smoke breaks? (we don't smoke but like to get out for fresh air) Thanks everyone!
Al: Ya'll will enjoy it! Its always slow (But who's in a Hurry!)but once you get out of Indianawhere the Tracks are Slow and Rough, (it will be Dark till W.VA while you are along the Ohio River) the Scenery on the Right Side of the Train is by Far the Best all the way to Virginia! When ya'll have Breakfast Don't order the "French Toast Sticks" (cousin to Fish Sticks), stick to the Eggs! The Lunch Food is pretty good too, Sandwiches and the Salad are made by the Attendant and served Fresh! Dinner is Convection Oven Heated but it's OK! Try not to get seated @ one of the Tables Without Windows! They suck! The "Lounge" (combo Diner/Lounge called a Diner Lite) does also, your Best Views will be from your Room!

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is the New River Gorge on the route? I rode it both ways, Charlottesville to Charleston WV and back, in Nov of 08 and I missed the gorge both ways. Don't want to do that again! :help:
Acela150 posted above: Best scenery is in the new river area outside of Huntington, WV
New River Gorge is quite a ways east of Huntington. tomfuller's post has it correctly located, near Hinton.

Depending on the season of the year and how late the train is, you may get a better view going eastbound looking out the left side of the train.
I may be wrong about "The New River Gorge" area, but I always thought of it as the area before and after the New River (Gorge) Bridge. The bridge and that area of the Gorge is on the right side of the train headed eastbound. Thus, the odd roomettes and bedrooms. The even roomettes in that area give a great view of the hillside about 10 feet away! But you do see the River before and after that area, when the tracks cross bridges over the river. But IMHO, the best views are on the right side in the Gorge!

Armed with the info from this thread (and in the Viewliner Poll thread), I walked down to the station and closely observed :ph34r: #50 when it was in CVS station. Sure enough, the doors of the viewliner were to the fore which indicated to me that the odd numbered roomettes are on the other side, on the right. My reservation on this train in August has an even numbered roomette, which would make viewing of the NRG less rewarding.

So I hotfooted it home and called AGR. I got Laura on the line who was very friendly and helpful and changed my reservation without quibble to room FIVE. :p

Thanks to everyone who helped me get this straight!

City of Miami,

If you saw the outside access doors closest to the engine, then that would indicate that the odd number rooms on train #50 would be on the right side of the train. The even numbers would be on the left side, or the gorge side of the train. :eek:

http://trainweb.org/crocon/sleeperplans.html

On 51, the odds would be on the gorge side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back