Room when roomete beds are down

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_Gingee

I am packing and I was wondering how much floor space is left when the seats are turned into beds in a roommete. I am planning on a small sized suitcase with wheels but not sure of the space dimensions when we have the beds down. Anyone know?

Thanks

The floor space left when the beds are down is nearly non-existant. There is barely enough room for one person to stand inside the room with the door closed.

As for your suitcase, the rolling suitcase that I normally travel with is 14 inches wide, stands 23 inches tall, and is 7 inches thick. A bag that size will just fit underneath one of the seats. But if you try to overstuff the bag, you'll probably be in trouble as there is little room to increase the thickness.

I just measured mine and it is approximately 18" long, 13" wide and 8" deep.

I looked on the website and there is something that jets out from the outside wall (the hall). What is that? So basically the only space is under your seat? We will have two suitcases.

Thanks

There is virtually no floor space. There is a tiny (6 or 7" wide) 'closet' that will hold hanging items, like a few hangers or a garment bag. And, there is a set of 'stairs' for the upper berth that could serve as a shelf for a small bag, *possibly* a Rollaboard, but better suited to something like a backpack.

By "jets out from the outside wall" are you talking about the small overhead space on the Viewliners?

You have not stated how many people are in the roomette. If only one you can always put your bag on the upper bunk while the beds are down. You can always keep it there while the bottom beds return to a seat. You just won't be able to stand up.

What I normally end up doing is to drag my suitcase from the storage area on the lower floor once a day to get my clothes for the next day.

Guest_Gingee said:
I looked on the website and there is something that jets out from the outside wall (the hall).  What is that?  So basically the only space is under your seat?  We will have two suitcases.
Thanks
Gingee, don't forget about the baggage area on the lower area. You might transfer non valuable items to one bag and place it there.

Also have you tried the 360 tour? If not you can go here and get an idea of the sleeper......BD

http://www.360360.com/trains/slsleep.html

the best thing to do is have a small, collapsible (or even disposable) bag like a backpack for the clothing, shoes, toiletries and undergarments you'll need while on the train, and leave everything else downstairs in the luggage racks; as for putting things under the seats when the lower bed is in place, I don't reccommend it, as the space is very tight and the mechanism frequently catches (and rips, scratches, etc.) the bags down there

I've never had much trouble squeezing a single rolling bag and a backpack into a roomette, but you had better forget about fitting two suitcases if you want to be comfortable.

Gingee,

Ain't no room in the roomette for much! :D Was just in one 9 days ago. I have a "gym bag" that is just a tad bigger than the gym bags from the 1970's and that fit where the step goes up to the top bunk on. What I learned last week is with a lower level roomette, is you back a small bag like you get a grocery store (plastic) with what you are going to wear the next day, also in that bag have your toiletree items in it for showering. Then you don't have to go rummaging through a suitcase that is somewhat of a distance (if your in the upper level) away from your roomette. Both my girlfriend and I are going to try and get roomettes for us and her kids on Labor Day and we have already said that we would be packing a little bag so when we wake up its pronto to the the shower instead of foraging for stuff and trying to do it quietly. I liked the the convienence of being on the lower level and just feet away from the luggage rack and toilet, but the noise from the train was louder.

A word from experience here- we left our bag under the seat when it was turned into the bed at night- thinking it would then be neatly out of the way.....never thought about the fact that we had to wait for the attendant to put the bed back up in the morning to be able to get back at it again! So make sure anything you might need is NOT under the bed!

Oh boy. I hope our suitcases are small enough. My husband and I are sharing the roommete. I am 5- 1 or so and he is 5-9?".

So they store your big suitcases in the same car as you are in? We are on the upper level towards the end (not the by the stairs).

So they store your big suitcases in the same car as you are in? We are on the upper level towards the end (not the by the stairs).
Not if you check them. Then they go in the baggage car and you won't see them until you arrive in Seattle.

What has been said about storing them in the car, downstairs, is what you carry on yourself. So, you could carry on a larger one and leave it in the rack by the downstairs door and have one small one in the room with you. Then, as needed, go downstairs and transfer stuff back and forth between the two cases. That way you only have one little one in the roomette with you. You can lock the one downstairs if you want.

Okay, we rode the Cardinal last year. Is the room under the seats the same as in the roommetes? If so, I think we may be okay. My husband has his stuff in a duffle bag and mine is a small case (as shown in measurements up above). We are also carrying cameras in our suitcases so we need to have that with us. The rest of the stuff is just our clothes and shoes that stay in the other suitcase which is 24 or 26".

Okay, we rode the Cardinal last year. Is the room under the seats the same as in the roommetes? If so, I think we may be okay. My husband has his stuff in a duffle bag and mine is a small case (as shown in measurements up above). We are also carrying cameras in our suitcases so we need to have that with us. The rest of the stuff is just our clothes and shoes that stay in the other suitcase which is 24 or 26".
The Cardinal is Viewliner cars and the EB is Superliner Cars. But, I would think the size and space deminsions would be about the same. When I rode the Cardinal last year I carried everything I needed in a Wal-mart bag and hung it on the hook. :lol: :lol:

Guest_Gingee said:
Oh boy.  I hope our suitcases are small enough.  My husband and I are sharing the roommete.  I am 5- 1 or so and he is 5-9?".
So they store your big suitcases in the same car as you are in?  We are on the upper level towards the end (not the by the stairs).
:D Oh Boy.....Gingee not to worry, there is an advantage to being short.

If I'm not mistaken, the beds are at least 6 feet long and you being 5'1" there should be room at your feet to place a bag even when sleeping.

I'm 5'8" and plan on trying that very thing.

Also , the baggage area is just downstairs on the lower level for baggage

you carry on that will not fit into your room.....BD

Thanks. We thought the same thing (putting our suitcase on the beds if needed).

Last year we just took coach on the Cardinal but I remember the seats.

Are the seats in the roommetes the same size as coach?

Guest_Gingee said:
Thanks.  We thought the same thing (putting our suitcase on the beds if needed).

That I do not know Gingee. I just know that the sleepette measures 3'6"

deep and 6'6" long. The upper berth is 2'0"wide x 6'2" long with steps and the lower is 2'4" wide x 6'6" long. Therefore I would say that the seats are

2'4'' wide. Not exactly a love seat is it.... :D .....BD

Guest_Gingee said:
Thanks. We thought the same thing (putting our suitcase on the beds if needed).

There is no comparison to the seats in the sleeper vs. coach.

There is no reclining ability in the sleeper seat, and it folds down into a bed. So there simply is no way to compare them.

There is no reclining ability in the sleeper seat, and it folds down into a bed. So there simply is no way to compare them.
I think the coach seats, and especially business class where available, are better than in the roomette. Hate to tell you that. Others may disagree.

MrFSS said:
I think the coach seats, and especially business class where available, are better than in the roomette. Hate to tell you that. Others may disagree.
I'd agree with that statement. But at night, those seats in the roomette are far better for sleeping than the coach or BC seats.

Just for the heck of it, are the family room seats reclining also?

Guest_Gingee said:
Just for the heck of it, are the family room seats reclining also?
None of the rooms in the sleepers has reclining chairs. And except for a folding chair found in the Bedroom (formerly the Deluxe Bedroom), all seats slide down to form beds.

I usually travel by myself in a roomette, and usually bring one small suitcase, shoulder bag, and a small cooler. Space is tight but I never have any problem. But on some trains, the roomettes have a storage space which is above the door, opposite the upper bunk. That is where they store the bed linens and towels. I don't know if every train has this type of roomette space. I can't recall, but I travel on both Superliners and Viewliners.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back