Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Tell Me About the Picture in Your Avatar-----

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#81 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, trivia, genealogy

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:01 PM

Mine is the culmination of an ongoing in-joke between me and Ryan.

Several years ago, I called Ryan "a fact-checker crossed with a ferret", which was my way of complimenting how quickly he could confirm/deny the armchair quarterbacking, wild hypotheses, and false beliefs that often occur on this forum.

He took my compliment and listed it under his Interests (under his avatar). :) The "fact-checking ferret" thing came up on occasion over the years but then didn't get mentioned for quite some time.

About a year ago, I posted some statistical analysis in a thread about plane crashes and provided citations for all of my statistics. He sent me a PM that asked, "Who's the fact-checking ferret now?" and then attached a picture of a ferret wearing aviator gear.

I thought it was perfect (and adorable), so I made it my avatar. :)

• Ryan, seat38a, VAtrainfan and 1 other like this

Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#82 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:36 PM

Mine is the culmination of an ongoing in-joke between me and Ryan.

Several years ago, I called Ryan "a fact-checker crossed with a ferret", which was my way of complimenting how quickly he could confirm/deny the armchair quarterbacking, wild hypotheses, and false beliefs that often occur on this forum.

He took my compliment and listed it under his Interests (under his avatar). :) The "fact-checking ferret" thing came up on occasion over the years but then didn't get mentioned for quite some time.

About a year ago, I posted some statistical analysis in a thread about plane crashes and provided citations for all of my statistics. He sent me a PM that asked, "Who's the fact-checking ferret now?" and then attached a picture of a ferret wearing aviator gear.

I thought it was perfect (and adorable), so I made it my avatar. :)

What’s funny here is that I only just realized that your pic is of a ferret wearing aviator gear - zoomed out it looks like a raccoon or something. But zooming in now, I will 100% agree that that is perfect and pretty adorable. :)

Edited by cpotisch, 29 May 2018 - 10:03 AM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#83 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:54 PM

I'm sitting in the Last Chance Saloon in Jack London Square (OKJ), enjoying my cross country Amtrak trip!!!

Edited by Rail Freak, 27 May 2018 - 04:57 PM.

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

#84 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,203 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:16 PM

Guess

#85 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,947 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:30 PM

I guess Thomas the Tank!

Do I win?:huh:
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#86 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,203 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:34 PM

I guess Thomas the Tank!

Do I win? :huh:

YES!!  You win a new pair of stronger glasses.  :giggle:

• seat38a, VAtrainfan and cpotisch like this

#87 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,972 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:08 AM

When this thread started, I wasn't able to load an avatar.   I have since learned how, so that's yours truly, at the head end of VIA Rail #37 about to depart Gare du Palais several years ago... :cool:

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#88 VAtrainfan

VAtrainfan

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Travel (by air or rail or highway), roller coasters

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:54 PM

Taken in 2013 at Cadillac Mountain in Maine, during a road trip that was my first time to New England.

#89 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:34 PM

I know this thread  is from five years ago, but here goes.

My avatar is of the Texas Eagle departing Dallas. I had joined AU right after I had booked my first cross country train trip, on the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited and LSL. I wanted to get as much info as possible about the ride, so in the spirit of it, I choose that avatar.

Just to add to my earlier self, here is my first ever post on Amtrak Unlimited (from the "Views from Texas Eagle" thread):

Hello everybody!
I just booked a February trip with my dad from Pomona to New York City via Eagle #422 and LSL #48. I was wondering what the best scenery will be on the Sunset/Eagle so I know when to be in the SSL or bottom bunk of our roomette (for the window). Obviously the Eagle is not Amtrak's prettiest train, but I've been wanting to take it for a while and know that it's not all ugly.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#90 River Cities

River Cities

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:11 PM

My avatar is from the station in Milwaukee during an extended stop on the Empire Builder.  They sent our train out out of Chicago on time, and we waited here for some passengers from a late eastern train to come along on the next Hiawatha.

(I was on my way to a cousin's wedding in Seattle.  Some of my relatives thought I was crazy to take the train, but I made it on time.  My parents' flight got delayed, and they missed the rehearsal entirely!)

Amtrak routes covered: Broadway Limited (Chicago to Lima), Cascades (SEA to VAC), CL (CHI to PGH), CZ (SAC to CHI), CONO, CS (SEA to SAC) EB (to SEA only), Lincoln Service, LSL (to BOS only), MO River Runner (and the Mules), NER (PHL to RTE), Pennsylvanian (PGH to PHL), Wolverine (CHI to NLS).  Thruways: GBB to SPI, STL to CDL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users