Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Tell Me About the Picture in Your Avatar-----

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#61 MrFSS

MrFSS

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,777 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

I don't Post an Avatar since I wish to Travel on Amtrak  Anonymously without having to take my Security and not be interrupted in the Diner and Lounge by Passsengers wanting Pictures and Autographs! Only way to Travel! ;)

**The Truth is I'm a Luddite and don't know how! :giggle:

OK - I gave you one so you can't complain about it!

#62 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,606 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

I don't Post an Avatar since I wish to Travel on Amtrak  Anonymously without having to take my Security and not be interrupted in the Diner and Lounge by Passsengers wanting Pictures and Autographs! Only way to Travel! ;)

:hi: Thanks Tom, maybe I should go take a Computer Class or else have my Computer Guru, my 11 year old Grandaughter, give me some Lessons! :giggle:

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#63 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography, reading. And any combination thereof. :)

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

Once I remembered how to do it ;), I changed my picture. This is the streetside view of the Spokane Amtrak station, a view most Amtrak passengers except for those living in and around Spokane never see---a view in full daylight! :lol:
Amtrak Miles and Trains Traveled: 89811-City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, Cascades, Crescent, Capital Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited,  Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal, Vermonter, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Heartland Flyer, Wolverine. 
Pre-Amtrak Miles Traveled: 8478-- North Coast Limited, Panama Limited, Empire Builder, Abraham Lincoln, City of Hinkle

#64 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

:hi: Thanks Tom, maybe I should go take a Computer Class or else have my Computer Guru, my 11 year old Grandaughter, give me some Lessons! :giggle:

Aloha

11 Year old Computer Guru, You have no chance to understand what she knows. Just get her to do it for you.
:giggle: :lol: :rolleyes:

GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks
http://gg-1.smugmug.com/'>Picture Galleries

Posted Image

#65 MrFSS

MrFSS

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,777 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

Aloha

11 Year old Computer Guru, You have no chance to understand what she knows. Just get her to do it for you. :giggle: :lol: :rolleyes:

My 9 year old grandson won computer-whiz of the year at his school this year. You can't survive without the skills!

#66 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,606 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

Aloha

11 Year old Computer Guru, You have no chance to understand what she knows. Just get her to do it for you. :giggle: :lol: :rolleyes:

My 9 year old grandson won computer-whiz of the year at his school this year. You can't survive without the skills!

Ive always said that there were two ways to make a Living that I would Starve if I had to Work in  and that's Cooking and High Tech! ;)  Congrats to the Grand Son, Summer got Student of the Year in her Middle School also and won 1st place for her project  in the Math/Computer Science Fair in her School District! I was still Playing Cowboys and Indians  with Pals when I was 11! They Grow up so Fast! ;)

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#67 Notelvis

Notelvis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

Once I remembered how to do it ;), I changed my picture. This is the streetside view of the Spokane Amtrak station, a view most Amtrak passengers except for those living in and around Spokane never see---a view in full daylight! :lol:

Nice JayPea........ and I have seen that side of the Spokane station albeit not in the daylight. In 2002 I flew into Spokane landing about 10:00pm, caught a cab to the train station, and left in the wee hours on the Portland section of the Empire Builder. If you'll recall, Amtrak was under threat of a total shutdown that summer and having never ridden the Portland section of the Builder or the Coast Starlight, I flew out and rode them both....... just in case.

David Pressley

Advocating for Rail Passenger Service since 1973!

#68 oldtimer

oldtimer

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Interests:If it rolls, flies, or floats I can fix it, certified A&P mechanic, builder and crew chief for late model stock car, I ride a 1977 GoldWing and have worked a lot on vintage aircraft.

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:39 AM

First of all if you ever wish to enlarge any of the thumbnails try this site.  http://www.imagiris.com

Now for my avatar;  it was taken in July 1973 just west of Montreal on the CPR.  Amtrak had purchased two United Aircraft Turbotrains from the CN.  They were being updated in the basement of the CN station in Montreal by United Aircraft employees.

I was the Amtrak QC person at that site.

The first completed set was on a test run and just left the depot and was accelerating at 95 mph I was assigned to observe the indicated speed at certain points and the brake pipe pressure while the braking tests were performed.  These duties had me standing between the engineer's seat and the fireman's seat (which was occupied by a CNR road foreman).  We past a yellow signal at approximately 90 mph (I called the signal verbally and did not have either of the other two people with controls respond) and accelerating and came to the red signal at 95. Seeing a freight train crossing over and about his last 6 cars were still on our track.  I started to beat on the engineer's shoulder and shout at him to stop the train and made a comment about him by incestuous,

He did put the train in emergency and I felt in my mind I was going to die so I stood there and watched the train was at 75 mph when we  struck the freight train.  Obviously I survived with shock, contusions, abrasions and smoke inhalation.

There is much more to this tale but that's enough for now

oldtimer aka Al

#69 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,044 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

Oldtimer, I doubt I'm the only one who wants to read "much more to this tale" whenever you feel comfortable explaining it.

#70 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,606 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

Oldtimer, I doubt I'm the only one who wants to read "much more to this tale" whenever you feel comfortable explaining it

Ditto Al! This would make a Good "Trains" Article! More! More! ;)

#71 Notelvis

Notelvis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

I'm wishing I could have made a round trip on the 'Newfie Bullet'!

David Pressley

Advocating for Rail Passenger Service since 1973!

#72 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

Yours truly boarding the Southern Railway/Norfolk & Western "Tennessean" in Washington Union Station c.1962

#73 sunchaser

sunchaser

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, husband, children & grandchildren. Worship through music, my pets. Archaeology, Ocean, Mountains, camping, cooking & baking. Avid reader, like to learn new things, helping others. (if I can)

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:45 PM

Sorcha, the only problem with your current avatar is that we don't get to see your eyes.

My avatar photo was taken in April 2012 in Ireland. Nothing train-related about it.

Awww.  :wub:

Here you go. This was taken on the SWC, after trying to sleep in Coach (and failing). I was sooooooo tiiiiiired. I pulled my hair back and decided to document my sleepy, baggy eyes.

Also, color me super jealous that you got to go to Ireland!

Sorcha, what lovely blue eyes you have to match your pretty smile!

MODERATOR NOTE: photo removed by request

Edited by pennyk, 27 May 2018 - 03:28 PM.

event.png

Trains we have taken:

California Zephyr- (11 times)-8 Superliner Bedrooms/1 Roomette, 2 Family Bedrooms 

Capitol Limited-(once) Superlner Bedroom   

Cascades-   (6 times) Business Class   

Coast Starlight- (6 times) 6 Superliner Bedrooms

Crescent- (once)Viewliner Bedroom

Heber Creeper- (1)
'I'm packed, tickets in hand, I'm ready to go-Is it train time yet?'
Sunchaser

#74 sunchaser

sunchaser

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, husband, children & grandchildren. Worship through music, my pets. Archaeology, Ocean, Mountains, camping, cooking & baking. Avid reader, like to learn new things, helping others. (if I can)

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

Well, as most can see, mine is not train related or a self portrait. I did want to break the camera. It is a picture of my 'pet' blue and gold macaw, taking a bath in his water dish, who calls me mom. I guess I could post one of our local station, but it's kind of oogly! 

event.png

Trains we have taken:

California Zephyr- (11 times)-8 Superliner Bedrooms/1 Roomette, 2 Family Bedrooms 

Capitol Limited-(once) Superlner Bedroom   

Cascades-   (6 times) Business Class   

Coast Starlight- (6 times) 6 Superliner Bedrooms

Crescent- (once)Viewliner Bedroom

Heber Creeper- (1)
'I'm packed, tickets in hand, I'm ready to go-Is it train time yet?'
Sunchaser

#75 Shanghai

Shanghai

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:28 AM

I like trains and traveling on trains, but, I love my dog and that is my avatar.

This is Prince Archibald of Stonewyck.  He is a Coton de Tulear and is three year of age.

He is a wonderful pet and very much a part of our family.

Didn't realize that you have royalty in the family. Best wishes to His Highness. :)

Charlie:  The Coton de Tulear is the Royal Dog of Madagascar!!

Spirit of St Louis, Broadway Limited, Three Rivers, Cardinal, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Star, Pennsylvanian, Keystone, Silver Meteor, Regional, Acela, Capitol Limited, Hoosier State, Texas Eagle, Maple Leaf, Empire Service, Ethan Allen, Eurostar, TGV, BR, Orient Express, Netherlands Rail, SCNF, DSB, Deutsche Bahn, KCRC, MRT, MTR, California Zephyr, Carolinian, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln Service, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, Cascades, Pacific Surfliner, BART, CalTrain, NJ Transit, SEPTA, PATCO, Dinky, MBTA, Downeaster, UTA Trax, Heartland Flyer, Hiawatha, Illinois Zehpyr,Carl Sandburg, Piedmont, Vermonter, Metro North

#76 Shanghai

Shanghai

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:30 AM

I like trains and traveling on trains, but, I love my dog and that is my avatar.

This is Prince Archibald of Stonewyck.  He is a Coton de Tulear and is three year of age.

He is a wonderful pet and very much a part of our family.

He's super cute. I wish he could come to the Gathering.

As we know, dogs are not allowed on Amtrak, but he rides on NJ Transit & Long Island Railroad!!

Spirit of St Louis, Broadway Limited, Three Rivers, Cardinal, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Star, Pennsylvanian, Keystone, Silver Meteor, Regional, Acela, Capitol Limited, Hoosier State, Texas Eagle, Maple Leaf, Empire Service, Ethan Allen, Eurostar, TGV, BR, Orient Express, Netherlands Rail, SCNF, DSB, Deutsche Bahn, KCRC, MRT, MTR, California Zephyr, Carolinian, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln Service, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, Cascades, Pacific Surfliner, BART, CalTrain, NJ Transit, SEPTA, PATCO, Dinky, MBTA, Downeaster, UTA Trax, Heartland Flyer, Hiawatha, Illinois Zehpyr,Carl Sandburg, Piedmont, Vermonter, Metro North

#77 PA Traveler

PA Traveler

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:travel, reading, orchids, photography, archaeology, history, beading

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

My avatar is of the PA Grand Canyon in north central PA. And there's a railroad track down at the bottom of it. :)

#78 Lakeshore

Lakeshore

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

Just straight off of the menu, nothing fancy...

JHQIUuL.gif

#79 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,699 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:20 PM

I know this thread  is from five years ago, but here goes.

My avatar is of the Texas Eagle departing Dallas. I had joined AU right after I had booked my first cross country train trip, on the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited and LSL. I wanted to get as much info as possible about the ride, so in the spirit of it, I choose that avatar.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#80 Pere Flyer

Pere Flyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Writing, dancing, traveling

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:35 PM

The only good photo I could find of my beloved home train station—Vernon J. Ehlers Station in Grand Rapids, Mich. They did a good job several years ago in designing and building this station, which is situated a hundred yards or so from the Greyhound/Indian Trailways/central local bus terminal. I hope to live long enough to see a second track built at the platform to accommodate more scheduled trains. Perhaps to Lansing? Traverse City? Kalamazoo? I’d ride in coach to Mexico City if it meant boarding at Ehlers Station.

Pere Marquette: 370 (CHI, HOM, GRR); 371 (GRR, HOM, CHI) | Heartland Flyer: 821 (OKC, NOR, FTW); 822 (FTW, NOR, OKC) | Texas Eagle: 21 (CHI, FTW, SAS); 22 (SAS, FTW, AUS, CHI) Cardinal: 50 (CHI, IND, CIN)

SS Line | TRE | DART | MTA | NJT | DC Metro | MBTA | CTA | RTD | MARTA | QLine | Paris Métropolitain | Barcelona Metro | GLI | Jefferson Lines | Ambustitution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users