Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Tell Me About the Picture in Your Avatar-----

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 trainman74

trainman74

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

Sorcha, the only problem with your current avatar is that we don't get to see your eyes.

My avatar photo was taken in April 2012 in Ireland. Nothing train-related about it.

#42 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, trivia, genealogy

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

Sorcha, the only problem with your current avatar is that we don't get to see your eyes.

My avatar photo was taken in April 2012 in Ireland. Nothing train-related about it.

Awww.  :wub:

Here you go. This was taken on the SWC, after trying to sleep in Coach (and failing). I was sooooooo tiiiiiired. I pulled my hair back and decided to document my sleepy, baggy eyes.

Also, color me super jealous that you got to go to Ireland!

[photo removed for privacy]

Edited by SarahZ, 27 May 2018 - 02:50 PM.

Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#43 RampWidget

RampWidget

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Anything that rolls, flies, or floats !

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:45 PM

Mine is a Photoshop enhanced picture I took of my home RR from the 50's.

At Louisville Union Station perhaps?

:) 

Here is the original

i-jmT3xV8-L.jpg

Gone but not Forgotten!

Amtrak Acela, Auto-Train, California Zephyr. Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Carolinian, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Downeaster, Empire Builder, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto, Pere Marquette, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Southwest Chief, Springfield Shuttle, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle
Alaska RR Coastal Classic, Denali Star - Central of Georgia Rwy. Nancy Hanks II - Southern Rwy. Southern Crescent - LIRR - MARC - MBTA - MNCR - Tri-Rail

#44 RampWidget

RampWidget

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:48 PM

Mine rotates among various RR heralds or name train drumheads as the fancy strikes me. Most of this month, my avatar has been the herald of the old Tennessee Central Ry. that operated primarily from Nashville east towards Crossville, Tenn.

Amtrak Acela, Auto-Train, California Zephyr. Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Carolinian, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Downeaster, Empire Builder, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto, Pere Marquette, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Southwest Chief, Springfield Shuttle, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle
Alaska RR Coastal Classic, Denali Star - Central of Georgia Rwy. Nancy Hanks II - Southern Rwy. Southern Crescent - LIRR - MARC - MBTA - MNCR - Tri-Rail

#45 RampWidget

RampWidget

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

Awww.  :wub:

Here you go. This was taken on the SWC, after trying to sleep in Coach (and failing). I was sooooooo tiiiiiired. I pulled my hair back and decided to document my sleepy, baggy eyes.

Also, color me super jealous that you got to go to Ireland!

I think that's a quite lovely photo. Nothing wrong with those eyes, if I may say so. :hi:

MODERATOR NOTE: photo removed by request

Edited by pennyk, 27 May 2018 - 03:29 PM.

#46 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

Aloha

Mine is just a stock herald of the Pennsylvania RR until I find and digitize a picture of me on the GG-1 4800 in Strasbourg. A worker at the museum gave permission and took the picture..

GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks
http://gg-1.smugmug.com/'>Picture Galleries

Posted Image

#47 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:17 AM

mine is the logo for a friends fictional commuter railroad that I designed (the logo, not the railroad). The company is South Bay Commuter Express, which is based in a fictional San Francisco esque area.

peter

Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#48 TraneMan

TraneMan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy the outdoors, camping, hiking, and being with my family and friends.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:53 AM

Mine was up close to the F40 locomotive!   

31712410150345488863470.jpg

Amtrak Train travel: Empire Builder = 1677; Silver Meteor = 668; Capital Limited = 780; Hiawatha Service = 172; Cascade = 312; Lincoln Service= 640; Southwest Chief = 2,265;  Total = 21,514

Routes completed: Empire Builder 7 and 8; Capital Limited 29; Southwest Chief 4; Hiawatha. 

First travel was 1990.
(updated 4-2-15)

#49 Notelvis

Notelvis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:37 AM

Mine rotates among various RR heralds or name train drumheads as the fancy strikes me. Most of this month, my avatar has been the herald of the old Tennessee Central Ry. that operated primarily from Nashville east towards Crossville, Tenn.

I'm too young to remember the TC BUT I do remember the TC's route still being intact between Nashville and Harriman while making regular trips across I-40 from Asheville, NC to Memphis in the mid-1980's. By the time I was in the Army stationed Ft. Campbell, KY in the early 1990's the middle portion between Cookeville and Crossville had been severed.

FWIW - I have ridden (in dome) one of the excursions the TC Museum in Nashville operated from Nashville to Cookeville....... a really splendid train ride.

David Pressley

Advocating for Rail Passenger Service since 1973!

#50 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:46 AM

Mine’s a CN GMD NF-110 locomotive on display in St. John’s that once hauled the narrow-gauge “Caribou” (a.k.a. “Newfie Bullet”) passenger train the 550 miles across the Island of Newfoundland........A train I wish I had got to ride!

IMG_0252.JPG

#51 Shanghai

Shanghai

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:11 AM

I like trains and traveling on trains, but, I love my dog and that is my avatar.

This is Prince Archibald of Stonewyck.  He is a Coton de Tulear and is three year of age.

He is a wonderful pet and very much a part of our family.

Spirit of St Louis, Broadway Limited, Three Rivers, Cardinal, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Star, Pennsylvanian, Keystone, Silver Meteor, Regional, Acela, Capitol Limited, Hoosier State, Texas Eagle, Maple Leaf, Empire Service, Ethan Allen, Eurostar, TGV, BR, Orient Express, Netherlands Rail, SCNF, DSB, Deutsche Bahn, KCRC, MRT, MTR, California Zephyr, Carolinian, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln Service, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, Cascades, Pacific Surfliner, BART, CalTrain, NJ Transit, SEPTA, PATCO, Dinky, MBTA, Downeaster, UTA Trax, Heartland Flyer, Hiawatha, Illinois Zehpyr,Carl Sandburg, Piedmont, Vermonter, Metro North

#52 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:23 AM

I like trains and traveling on trains, but, I love my dog and that is my avatar.

This is Prince Archibald of Stonewyck.  He is a Coton de Tulear and is three year of age.

Didn't realize that you have royalty in the family. Best wishes to His Highness. :)

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#53 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,802 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

My avatar shows an Indian Railways WP Class steam locomotive arriving with a train at Howrah Station of Kolkata. I took this picture in 1982.

WP's were the passenger workhorse of Indian Railways. They are powerful Pacifics capable of operating at 70mph, though were restricted to 60mph on IR due to track conditions. In all 755 were built making them one of the more numerous classes of the world. The original set was manufactured by Baldwin in their Eddystone plant outside Philadelphia and delivered in 1948. Subsequent batches were variously manufactured by Baldwin, MLW, Polish Locomotive Works, Czech Locomotive Works, and finally a huge number at the Chittaranjan Locomotive Works of IR in my birth state West Bengal in India. About half a dozen are preserved, with three in operating condition. They were beautiful machines, and all my childhood railfanning is intimately connected with them.

#54 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, trivia, genealogy

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

He's super cute. I wish he could come to the Gathering.

Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#55 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,203 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

Re Arcibald coming to the gathering. Maybe Dave could claim he's a service dog since, I believe, he's going to be on the same trains as Dick. :)

#56 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,947 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

Re Arcibald coming to the gathering. Maybe Dave could claim he's a service dog since, I believe, he's going to be on the same trains as Dick. :)
No dogs allowed in TPS, but royalty yes. So Dick will have to ride in steerage!

(Ducks quickly) Am I in trouble now?!!!!
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#57 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,203 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

Dave, you're always in trouble. :o

Which is probably why you're always riding the rails. :giggle:

Edited by AmtrakBlue, 01 June 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#58 June the Coach Rider

June the Coach Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Interests:Disabled, so interests are mainly watching sports or traveling by train.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

Mine is a picture of the coach seats on the LSL. Showing all the leg room.

#59 Dovecote

Dovecote

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

This thread prompted me to change my avatar.  Mine now is a picture of the Harpers Ferry, WV station (my old stomping ground) after a massive snowstorm in 2009. I lived a mile from the station and walked to the station to take this and other pictures.

Amtrak Trains Traveled - Acela Express, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Kansas City Mule, Lake Shore Limited, Maple Leaf, Northeast Regional, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, and Vermonter.

#60 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,024 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

I don't Post an Avatar since I wish to Travel on Amtrak  Anonymously without having to take my Security and not be interrupted in the Diner and Lounge by Passsengers wanting Pictures and Autographs! Only way to Travel! ;)

**The Truth is I'm a Luddite and don't know how! :giggle:

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users