Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Tell Me About the Picture in Your Avatar-----

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#21 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,616 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

Thanks to Mr.FSS for help with the Avatar.  :hi:  :)

Mine is a photo of an Acela Express set heading North to New York and Boston at Wilmington, DE when the 40th Anniversary Train was there. Some of us had a little AU Mini Gathering! Piotr got on the train I was getting off, we briefly said hello. Alan, Jis, Betty (AmtrakBlue), and of course yours truly were in attendance.  

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#22 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,570 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

Mine is a photo of an Acela Express set heading North to New York and Boston at Wilmington, DE when the 40th Anniversary Train was there. Some of us had a little AU Mini Gathering! Piotr got on the train I was getting off, we briefly said hello. Alan, Jis, Betty (AmtrakBlue), and of course yours truly were in attendance.  

Thought that pic looked familiar.  :D

#23 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

Mine is a photo of the Orlando station.

Amtrak miles: 248,633; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#24 Notelvis

Notelvis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

Mine is of BWI.  I flew into BWI then took the train home to WIL.  I love planes too, and was happy to see that the flight path for arrivals was over the train station (saw the train station from the plane).  And it was really neat how the planes appeared to be aiming for the parking garage (sorry if that upsets people due to 9/11). 

I flew out of BWI just this past Monday........ after taking the Silver Meteor to Baltimore and riding a NEC Regional train from BAL to BWI....... for the AGR points of course!

When I was in grad school at the University of Maryland I could sometimes shake loose for an afternoon of railfanning. One 'circle trip' I liked was riding the MARC Commuter train to Camden Yards, light rail to Baltimore Penn Station, MARC down to BWI where I really liked that pedestrian bridge over the tracks, then MARC down to Washington and Metro back to College Park as by this time of day the MARC Camden Line trains would be done for the night.

This was pre-9/11 and pre-AGR so I was riding on the cheap and not harassed by anyone for just watching trains!

Edited by Notelvis, 31 May 2013 - 04:39 PM.

David Pressley

Advocating for Rail Passenger Service since 1973!

#25 Notelvis

Notelvis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

I like your photo........ and Mr.FSS is a tremendous resource with things photographic. I really like that original photo of the L&N E in Louisville! That was one attractive paint scheme.

David Pressley

#26 Notelvis

Notelvis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

Here is the larger version of my photo -

945341_10200841869505280_1754379214_n.jp

David Pressley

#27 Notelvis

Notelvis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

Mine is a photo I took on one of our earlier trips on the Crescent.  It's a photo of the front of the Anniston, AL, Amtrak station.  It still says "Southern Railway" (love it!) and is one of those cool old stations.  It's our preferred departure point although Atlanta is closer. 

Here's a confession - I was trying to figure out what station your photo was of and that's what prompted me to start this thread!

David Pressley

#28 Notelvis

Notelvis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

You tell me. :P

At the risk of turning this into 'Name That Station', I'd say it looks like the Amtrak Station in Whitefish, MT.

Why Whitefish?

I just like the look....I used to live in Kalispell and have been all over Montana...btw, I went to school in western NC! Will see that station in person on Sunday evening.

I'm curious which school in WNC....... and hope you have a nice trip on the Empire Builder.

David Pressley

#29 Notelvis

Notelvis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

Mine was taken on May 28, 2012 at sunrise from the "railfan window" of train 27 near Pasco, WA. I like the scenery, and the fact that the window is a bit dirty. That's Amtrak for you!
36626_3556724071630_1622673207_n.jpg

This one is very nice......... dirt and all!

David Pressley

#30 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,570 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

Here's the original pic of BWI that I used for my avatar

2012-08-23_02_BWITrainStation-1.jpg

#31 Ocala Mike

Ocala Mike

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Thoroughbred horse racing, trains.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

Mine is pretty obvious.  I took a picture of the Amtrak station sign for Ocala just before it came down in, I think, 2010.  Last steel wheels carrying passengers nearly 9 years ago, and now we're just an Ambus station.  No more Amtrak ticket agent either.  Glad I got the picture before they destroyed the sign.

#32 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,570 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

Oops, looks like I was tipsy after my flight. Don't know how that happened.

#33 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,033 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

Mine is pretty obvious.  I took a picture of the Amtrak station sign for Ocala just before it came down in, I think, 2010.  Last steel wheels carrying passengers nearly 9 years ago, and now we're just an Ambus station.  No more Amtrak ticket agent either.  Glad I got the picture before they destroyed the sign.

Next time just grab the whole sign and throw it in the trunk or strap it to the roof.   :lol:

#34 ozbuc

ozbuc

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

Mine is of me outside the Southwest Chief in Albuquirky NM. My wife insisted on taking the photo even though I thought I looked too thin and over dressed.

#35 Trainmans daughter

Trainmans daughter

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

Mine shows my granddaughter and me riding on the Sacramento River Train a few years ago. We were in the open-air car. I think she was about 4 or 5 then. She's 11 now and has become as crazy about trains as I am. Once in awhile I will take a short trip without her, and it seems strange to go to the cafe car without buying skittles!

#36 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,434 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

Had fun in First Class and the free drinks, huh?
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#37 jmx53

jmx53

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

A closeup of a lapel pin I purchased at the gift shop inside LAUPT sometime in the late '80s.  I'm not sure if it is a design that has ever been officially used for the train.

#38 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,570 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

Had fun in First Class and the free drinks, huh?

Not hardly. Soda & pretzels in the last row. Did stop at a terminal side restaurant for a crab cake before heading over to the train station.

#39 sjgiss

sjgiss

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Anywhere a train goes

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

Mine is self explainatory

Empire Builder(9), Southwest Chief(5), Coast Starlight ,California Zephyr, Hiawatha(10)

#40 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, baking, trivia, adventures, historic preservation

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

Full size:

[photo removed for privacy]

Edited by SarahZ, 27 May 2018 - 02:52 PM.

Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users