Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Article about new train Boston-Cape Cod

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

The wikipedia page for Old Colony Railroad has a decent map.  It shows the former Cape Codder route (Providence-Attleboro-Middleborough-Buzzards Bay-Hyannis) as well as a whole host of other lines (some currently operated by Amtrak and MBTA, some not).

#42 AG1

AG1

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

In 1986 the Amtrak Cape Codder ran from Washington, DC to Cape Cod. The train turned off the NEC at Attleboro and ran east via Taunton and Middleboro, MA where it joined the line from Boston to Cape Cod.

Thank your for the clarification! Are those tracks in decent enough shape to still run passenger trains? it would actually be great to have a rail connection there that could connect over that way without having to go all the way to Boston.

Also, I feel like I heard something about folks in either Fall River or New Bedford wanting rail service. 

Those are currently CSX freight tracks and are in fair shape. There is also freight car service to Fall River and New Bedford industrial customers on tracks now owned by Massachusetts DOT. Commuter rail to Fall River and New Bedford has been proposed  by the last 4 MA governors but the money isn't available.

#43 AG1

AG1

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

I don't recall any cutoff around Attleboro, not to say there isn't or wasn't. As far as service to both Fall River and New Bedford, there are no tracks now. MBTA has to build the line, and with all the politics/environmental studies/NIMBY's/etc, that's why it's taking so long!

The cutoff is from the Attleboro freight siding along the two track main line. You can follow the route using Google Maps satellite view. This is an easterly route which crosses the north/south line which splits to New Bedford and Fall River.  I think the gap in the north/south track from Stoughton to Taunton is 11 miles or so. The publisher of  the major area newspaper was the biggest NIMBY with frequent anti-rail editorials. He was able to influence the local politicians into fighting the shortest route through the town of Easton,MA., the home off Oliver and Oakes Ames of UP transcontinental railroad fame.  He failed to mention that his residence abutted the railbed and was near two crossings where he would hear the train's horn..

Edited by RRRick, 23 August 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#44 AG1

AG1

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

9:45 pm Friday the CapeFlyer to Boston went into "emergency" in Wareham, MA for a person lying between the tracks. The train was able to stop in time due to the slow speed through Wareham , about 30 mph.. The person finally got up and unsteadily ran away  apparently eluded the responding police.

#45 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

It's back for 2014, with an additional stop at "Wareham Village"

2014 schedules and fares

#46 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:25 PM

http://m.wcvb.com/ne...manent/25874166
After a pilot program in 2013, weekend rail service between Boston and the Cape will become a permanent summer fixture beginning this year. From Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day, the CapeFLYER will carry visitors to and from Hyannis in 2014, and in summers to come,

Edited by CHamilton, 08 May 2014 - 01:26 PM.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#47 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,144 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:14 AM

I wonder what the food service on there is like.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#48 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,178 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:05 AM

I don't know what is offered on other commuter railroads, but the CapeFlyer is not an LD train between Chicago and Denver. It is a commuter train. I haven't been on it, but have ridden many other MBTA routes and they don't offer food service either.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#49 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,144 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

Ah but the website mentions food service but not details.

Come on Dave, think about who is talking.

Edited by Green Maned Lion, 09 May 2014 - 08:59 AM.

Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#50 AG1

AG1

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:03 AM

The CapeFlyer has a cafe/bar(concession) car with the usual snacks, sandwiches and drinks.The coming menu is not available, yet. The train service is leased from the MBTA by the Greater Cape Cod Transit Authority(GCCRTA).  It is not considered as a  MBTA  commuter service. 

This is the special cafe/bar car that does not run on any  MBTA commuter train.

The photo was taken at Buzzard Bay, MA station last year on the first return run off Cape Cod

[attachment=1335:Snapshot 1 (5-9-2014 9-45 AM).png]

Work is continuing on the high platform at Wareham station. Actually the platform is several hundred yards north of the existing station too clear the  grade crossing in the town center which is also US Route 6 . This should be a major stop for the CapeFlyer. The seaside town population swells by three times in the summer.

New high level platform under construction, May 9, 2014

[attachment=1339:IMG_1529_tn.jpg]

old platform and station (rest rooms only)

[attachment=1340:IMG_1530_tn.jpg]

edited to add photos

Edited by RRRick, 09 May 2014 - 06:07 PM.

#51 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

I hope they have chowdah and <ahem> cranberry juice :)

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#52 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:56 AM

The Cape Flyer is one of those fun "hybrid" services...not quite a commuter train, not quite a longer-distance train (such as a Regional).  On longer commuter runs, there's certainly an argument to have some sort of OBS provision.

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#53 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:43 AM

The Cape Flyer is one of those fun "hybrid" services...not quite a commuter train, not quite a longer-distance train (such as a Regional).  On longer commuter runs, there's certainly an argument to have some sort of OBS provision.

An argument, yes. But the Cape Flyer isn't any longer than some existing commuter runs such as MARC's Brunswick Line, the ACE, the South Shore Line, and some of the more far-flung branches of Metro-North and LIRR.  (Not to mention Amtrak's Keystone trains).  None of those have OBS, either, IINM.

Granted, a much higher percentage of Cape Flyer passengers will be traveling the entire run than on any of the aforementioned lines, and as such would be more of a "captive audience" for OBS.

#54 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:30 PM

You are correct in that assessment, though a fair reply is that in the case of the MTA lines, I wonder how much traffic is actually end-to-end (say, NHV-NYG or Montauk-Jamaica).  Also, there is technically the Cannonball, though I don't know if some sort of OBS persists in the off-season.  For reference, I believe the Cannonball is presently sold out for six evenings in July and August as of right now.

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#55 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,117 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:51 AM

Very high proportion is Hamptons to Jamaica on the expresses. Many are non stop from Speonk or Patchogue to Jamaica. One of my favorite runs in the NJ area as a matter of fact.

BTW I will be on the Cape Cod train coming Saturday and will report what's on this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Edited by jis, 18 May 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#56 AG1

AG1

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

The Wareham stop is still under construction and apparently will be by-passed this weekend.

http://wareham-ma.vi...chedule/1185367

#57 DSS&A

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:17 AM

2018 Cape Flyer service is off to a good start.

https://www.capecod....rips-of-season/

#58 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:11 PM

An old thread, but interesting...thanks for posting.   Now only if Amtrak's Cape Codder could return... :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users