Derailment and Crash on Metro north at Bridgeport Ct

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Injuries Reported In 'Major' Train Derailment In Connecticut

Two Metro-North Railroad trains have collided on a stretch of track near Fairfield, Conn., causing a "major derailment" and "preliminary reports of injuries," according to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

The Associated Press quotes a police spokesman as saying there are 20 to 25 injuries, but no fatalities in the accident.

According to The Hartford Courant:

"A Metro-North commuter train derailed Friday night and hit a train heading in the opposite direction near the Fairfield-Bridgeport border, and there are preliminary reports of injuries, an MTA official said.
"At about 6:10 p.m. an eastbound train, the 4:41 p.m. train out of New Haven, derailed just east of the Fairfield metro station, said Marjorie Anders, an MTA spokeswoman. It then hit the side of a westbound train on the adjacent track.

AMTRAK SERVICE SUSPENDED INDEFINITELY BETWEEN NEW YORK AND BOSTON
by Amtrak (Notes) on Friday, May 17, 2013 at 5:02pm

Due to the incident involving Metro-North Railroad trains near Bridgeport, Conn., Amtrak Acela Express and Northeast Regional service is suspended indefinitely between New York Penn Station and Boston.
Amtrak service is operating as scheduled between New York, Philadelphia and Washington, DC. Springfield Shuttle service between New Haven, Conn. and Springfield, Mass. is also operating as scheduled.
Information about the restoration of service will be made when available.

This is why first responders should be allowed to train (no pun intended) on the new equipment. As a fire fighter in the area, I have gone through the train derailment mass casualty drills/classes. Each one I've attended is done with the older, out of date stock. These new M8s were never part of the drills or classes. I have experience in forcing the doors/windowshatches on the older cars - a lot of good that will do you if I need to pry you out of a new M8.

WNBC New York just gave an update from Penn Station and it is nothing short of a zoo as Amtrak pax try to figure out how to get to Boston and southbound Corridor service is delayed as well. It will be at least Monday and likely longer before the line is reopened.

I hope all of the injured recover quickly. I just saw some footage on the news. Looks like I'm canceling my Sunday points run into Boston.

The local news said the area of the derailment (where 1 train derailed and was hit by a train going the opposite way) is a 4 track main line, but 2 tracks were (and are) shut down due to construction. So there is no way for other trains to get past the site!

What I heard is that they may get the tracks reopened by Monday. Meanwhile, all Amtrak service between NYP and BOS (including shuttles to SPG) and the Vermonter (unless at least 1 set was trapped east of Fairfield) is cancelled.

How will the suspension of service between Boston and New York City affect Amtrak train south of New York City?

One of the problems with the Amtrak system seems to be redundancy. Heaven forbid a plane crash on the runway of LaGaurdia, but if it did it wouldn't shut down all traffic North of New York... problems with other railways in Amtrak's most vital corridors can wreak havoc and vice versa..

The local news said the area of the derailment (where 1 train derailed and was hit by a train going the opposite way) is a 4 track main line, but 2 tracks were (and are) shut down due to construction. So there is no way for other trains to get past the site!
I take it that explains the two white stop signs in the OP pic?

Last edited by a moderator:
NYP - WAS service is running normally Sat morning so far. I am on 67. 66 was turned to become 67 at New York. The other 66/67 consist is sitting in BOS.

Because it was turned at NYP platform the consist is running backwards. The Cafe has very little food left since it was not restocked in NYP. It will get restocked in WAS. The OBS crew does not know yet whether he is going to be relieved in WAS or is going through to NPN. He started duty from NPN yesterday.

Yeah, sounds like it - that confused me at first.

How will the suspension of service between Boston and New York City affect Amtrak train south of New York City?
It shouldn't, really. Someone mentioned that SB was delayed last night, but there shouldn't really by any issues as long as there is sufficient equipment stranded on this side of the incident.

AMTRAK SERVICE SUSPENDED INDEFINITELY BETWEEN NEW YORK & NEW HAVEN, CONN., LIMITED SERVICE AVAILABLE BETWEEN BOSTON & NEW HAVEN

by Amtrak (Notes) on Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 6:42am ET

Due to the Friday, May 17 incident involving Metro-North Railroad trains near Bridgeport, Conn., Amtrak service continues to be suspended between New York and New Haven, Conn. Limited Northeast Regional service is available between Boston and New Haven, Conn.

Amtrak service is operating as scheduled between New York, Philadelphia and Washington, DC. Springfield Shuttle service between New Haven, Conn., and Springfield, Mass., is also operating as scheduled.

Yeah, sounds like it - that confused me at first.
Yes, that area is one of the sections where Metro North is currently doing extensive rebuilding work. In addition to installing constant tension catenary, all bridges within the area are being rebuilt. For this reason, even if MN could find enough diesels to deal with the lack of overhead power, they still can't use the other two tracks as trains aren't very good at jumping.

What is interesting is that generally they only work on 1 track at a time, keeping 3 in service. I'm not quite sure why they decided not to do that in this area and instead took 2 tracks out of service. Perhaps there were some complications with one of the bridges or maybe some other reason.

AMTRAK SERVICE SUSPENDED INDEFINITELY BETWEEN NEW YORK & NEW HAVEN, CONN., LIMITED SERVICE AVAILABLE BETWEEN BOSTON & NEW HAVEN

by Amtrak (Notes) on Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 6:42am ET

Due to the Friday, May 17 incident involving Metro-North Railroad trains near Bridgeport, Conn., Amtrak service continues to be suspended between New York and New Haven, Conn. Limited Northeast Regional service is available between Boston and New Haven, Conn.

Amtrak service is operating as scheduled between New York, Philadelphia and Washington, DC. Springfield Shuttle service between New Haven, Conn., and Springfield, Mass., is also operating as scheduled.
While I understand the SPG shuttles use diesels from NHV to SPG, it still doesn't make sense that they would operate, since 95+% of their passengers switch to/from other trains at NHV, and those trains are not operating

While I understand the SPG shuttles use diesels from NHV to SPG, it still doesn't make sense that they would operate, since 95+% of their passengers switch to/from other trains at NHV, and those trains are not operating
Yes, but there are some who do travel locally. And some may find other ways to bridge the gap.

Back