Empire Builder Chicago/Seattle round trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

creddick

Service Attendant
My wife and I are embarking on a trip of a lifetime. In September, we are taking the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle and back. Actually, we are going from East Lansing to Vancouver and then Seattle back to EL. Yes we are taking the Cascades from Seattle to Vancouver at 7:45 AM. I have a car rented for the return to Seattle. We have a bedroom (used to be a deluxe bedroom) both ways and are sandwiching in an Alaskan cruise for a week from Vancouver. The last we rode a long distance train (Empire Builder) was in 1991. It was a great trip then and I hope it still is. Any tips from anybody about the train ride? Any advice or insight would be most helpful. I love this web site!

:lol:

Every Trip is an Adventure!!! Have Fun and expect the Trains to run late because Amtrak doesn't own the tracks, the Freight Compaines do, some Freight Compaines try to give Amtrak Priority but sometimes it isn't possible or they don't want to, so expect to be late.

Actually - the EB runs pretty well on time. Only if there are problems beyond anyone's control do they have a problem.

We rode the delux bedroom a couple of years ago and it was, as you say, great. If you are interested, pictures from our trip are here.

Enjoy the trip and give us a report when you return to let us know how it went.

we took the eb spk-chi in march and are going again in november. the food was great. hope they don't get rid of the dining car as it is now. the wine tasting the 2nd day was a lot of fun. in the minot depot they had wonderful free empire builder route guides for n. dakota/eastern montana. we were right on time both ways. a wonderful trip and we wish you the same. we have taken the cascades also and it is a nice ride and train.

We are doing about the same thing as you in about a week. We are driving to Chicago and then taking the train to Seattle. We got a roomette instead of a bedroom. I will post later how it went.

To MRFSS, I left a couple questions on your pictures.

Thanks

AmtrakFan said:
Every Trip is an Adventure!!! Have Fun and expect the Trains to run late because Amtrak doesn't own the tracks, the Freight Compaines do, some Freight Compaines try to give Amtrak Priority but sometimes it isn't possible or they don't want to, so expect to be late.
I wouldnt worry about being late on #7/8, there tends to only be one late each direction per week. BNSF is by far the best host railroad.

To MRFSS, I left a couple questions on your pictures.
I'll try to answer:
There are a number of places the train stops long enough you can get out and walk around. Many stops there isn't enough time. When you get off, make sure you don't wander far as when they are ready to leave, they leave.

The scenery pictures were in North Dakota and Montana, both very beautiful states to ride across on the train. You will see hours and hours of ever changing scenes as depicted in just a few of the puictures.

The circus train picture was in Everett, Washington. We just happened to be there when it was there.

The dock picture was just north of Seattle, From Everett to Seattle the EB follows the Puget Sound a great deal of the way. Very nice views from the right hand side of the train.

If you have other specific questions, let me know.

When will you be leaving? I'm in Chicago riding trains for a few days starting 6/1.

I did the EB one way from Chicago to Vancouver (by bus from Seattle to Vancouver, though) in February. My only complaint was that at that time of year, the sun rose and set too early and didn't give me enough daylight to see all the sights!

My brother and I are treating some friends to a trip on the EB from Seattle to Chicago, leaving on June 11th. This was a surprise trip for our friends and the four of us are so excited you'd think we were kids at Christmas. We are only overnighting in Chicago and then coming back the next day, but I'm looking forward to seeing more than the first trip.

Also, at that time of year, there are volunteer park rangers who come on board and talk about what you're viewing, history, etc.

Not sure if they still do it, but they handed out champagne when I boarded, offered freshly baked cookies a couple of times and had a wine and cheese tasting in the dining car. Also, movies in the lounge car in the evening. It's a wonderful trip.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
AmtrakFan said:
Every Trip is an Adventure!!!   Have Fun and expect the Trains to run late because Amtrak doesn't own the tracks, the Freight Compaines do, some Freight Compaines try to give Amtrak Priority but sometimes it isn't possible or they don't want to, so expect to be late.
I wouldnt worry about being late on #7/8, there tends to only be one late each direction per week. BNSF is by far the best host railroad.
Agree, I just figure to let people know that there subject to delay.

if you go the amtrak website, click on press and media then go to order publications you can have amtrak send you the new copy of empire builder magazine plus a system timetable for free. these are generally available on the train but i find it fun to peruse them before the trip.

creddick said:
AMTRAK-P42. On your web site, you mention a scanner. What frequency do you go to to get Amtrak trains? Thank you.
The frequency depends on what train you happen to be riding. If you go here to On Track On Line's website, pick the route you want to travel on, you'll find all the frequencies that you'll need for that train.

AlanB said:
creddick said:
AMTRAK-P42. On your web site, you mention a scanner. What frequency do you go to to get Amtrak trains? Thank you.
The frequency depends on what train you happen to be riding. If you go here to On Track On Line's website, pick the route you want to travel on, you'll find all the frequencies that you'll need for that train.
Yea, Alan provided the website where I got all my frequencies.

Dear MrFSS, we are taking the Empire from Chicago on June 6th.

Dear MrFSS, we are taking the Empire from Chicago on June 6th.
I'll have returned home by then. Enjoy the trip and we all look forward to your trip report when you get back.

I know the train has been upgraded and modernized. How are the bedrooms? Are they nice? How are the bathrooms in the bedroom? I know they must be small. Like a camper? I've heard the salmon in the dining car is excellent. Any comments on the food? We are really excited about this trip. As I said, the trip of a lifetime.

My girlfriend and I took the Zephyr this weekend from Lincoln NE to Glenwood Springs CO. I know a train can't go fast in the mountains, but it seems the second we got on UP lines after dinner it was creep and crawl and stop. When we were going to Denver and coming back, we were blowing through Nebraska. It seems the second we get on BNSF lines we fly. Your trip sounds like a blast! Have fun and I have posted my trip report on the "trip reports" forum. Also, we had excellent Amtrak employees to Glenwood Springs and very good ones on the way back! :)

Does anybody have any pictures of the refurbished EB? Pictures of the bathroom in a bedroom. My wife is sort of skeptical and I'd like to be able to show her some pictures.

creddick said:
I know the train has been upgraded and modernized. How are the bedrooms? Are they nice? How are the bathrooms in the bedroom? I know they must be small. Like a camper? I've heard the salmon in the dining car is excellent. Any comments on the food? We are really excited about this trip. As I said, the trip of a lifetime.
I have as yet taken a trip by rail and so I'm new to rail travel. It's good that you search for answers to questions. I too am excited about my upcoming trip week after next. I also understand that the EB is the best LD train Amtrak has. I have however been warned on this site not to overly expect things on Trains. Sort of expect less and delight in above expections. I hope your trip is miles above expectation.....BD

How is the track on this route? Should we expect a bumpy ride? Lots of sway? I have a patch for my cruise. Should I wear one on the train too? Meals are included. What do you recommend we have in the dining car?

creddick said:
How is the track on this route? Should we expect a bumpy ride? Lots of sway? I have a patch for my cruise. Should I wear one on the train too? Meals are included. What do you recommend we have in the dining car?
You would only need a patch if you're extremely sensitive to motion sickness. I can't imagaine getting sea sick on the train.

Food is good, better than anything on an airplane. As a general rule it's hard to screw-up pasta or any beef dish unless the meat is over or under cooked.

I can't imagine getting seasick on a train either. That being said, I have an inner ear problem (Meniere's Disease) which causes extreme dizzyness, (I can't even crawl) and violent, continuous vomiting. This is one of the many reasons (chief reason is I hate it) I don't fly. The problem is, doctors don't know for sure what causes an attack. It could be motion, a sudden movement, too much salt, a blow to the head, noise, altitude, reading, not concentrating on the horizon, nothing, etc. I have never been seasick and I certainly had the opportunity last winter on a cruise. 20-25 foot waves and lots of rocking. However, I was wearing a patch the whole time. Until about 10 years ago, I didn't have a problem with Meniere's and I could ride the fastest and curviest coaster there was, even ones that turned you upside down. Bring it on. Now... Anyway, I am asking about the track and sway as a precaution. I don't anticipate a problem but I want to be prepared. It is not a pretty sight if i have a severe attack.

There's always some sway on the bi-level cars, it's unavoidable. I for one didn't think that the EB's route was particularly bad, but other might feel differently. One always bounces around as the train crosses switches, and there was one stretch where we seemed to be running on stick rail, which adds a bit to the bounce and sway. I'm not sure how long it went on, as we hit on our second night heading to Chicago. I reported about that in my trip report on this board.

I'd say start without the patch and see how it goes, but have it handy just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back