George M Pullman sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amy in TX

Train Attendant
I'm currently on the Sunset Limited in the George M Pullman sleeper (#32009). Is this a special/historic car? Anything I should notice on board?

I've traveled on that sleeper before, on the Coast Starlight. I have a photo of myself standing next to it at the Klamath Falls station. It had recently been refurbished. I don't know if there is anything different about it than other Pullman sleeper cars.

It was the first Superliner sleeper, and the last car to be made by the Pullman company.

Edit: The first item is, I think, incorrect. It was one of the first Superliner I's, however.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it was just named after George M. Pullman. Just a guess.
Well, that was my guess too. :) . And I do know who he was. Just didn't know if there was anything special about the car that it was named after him. It seems pretty much like the others I've been in

Last edited by a moderator:
And one more question. Does anyone know why the quotes in my post are showing up so strangely? Am I doing something wrong or is it just because I'm on my iPhone?

It was the first Superliner sleeper, and the last car to be made by the Pullman company.
It was actually the last of the Superliner I cars to be delivered (in July 1981.)

I also had the pleasure of riding in this car on the Coast Starlight earlier this year... but other than its history it's just a normal sleeping car.

And one more question. Does anyone know why the quotes in my post are showing up so strangely? Am I doing something wrong or is it just because I'm on my iPhone?
Yeah... it's an annoying problem with the mobile version of the forum.

I've been on several sleepers that were made by the Pullman company. There is a distinct difference between the Pullmans, and the ones made by Bombardier (many features are different, though I can't remember the specifics). So if the George M Pullman car was the last made by the Pullman company, it certainly wasn't the first Superliner sleeper car made.

The car's fleet number, 32009, was chosen to honor the creator of the first railroad sleeping car, George M. Pullman, since his first sleeping car was numbered '9'....

Just a bit of trivia........

Correct. This was the last Pullman-Standard car. The name was reapplied when it was refurbished.

When the cars went in for overhaul, stripped and recieved phase IVb, the names were not applied. A higher-up saw this and was very upset over the mistake and they were quickly fixed. Also, 32003, the Edward L Ullman; 32502, the W. Graham Claytor Jr and the 32503, the A Phillip Randolph all had their names re-applied a few years back.

IIRC it seems like the rest of the Auto Train Deluxe Sleepers may have been spared too, but I'm not 100% on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back