13 replies to this topic

#1 Amy in TX

Amy in TX

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

I'm currently on the Sunset Limited in the George M Pullman sleeper (#32009). Is this a special/historic car? Anything I should notice on board?

#2 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

I've traveled on that sleeper before, on the Coast Starlight. I have a photo of myself standing next to it at the Klamath Falls station. It had recently been refurbished. I don't know if there is anything different about it than other Pullman sleeper cars.

#3 zepherdude

zepherdude

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:I love Amtrak, the old Illinois Central and RR nostalgia dayz. I would live on a train if I could. Down with airplanes! Up with Passenger Trains!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

I think it was just named after George M. Pullman. Just a guess.

I have traveled, Acela, Maple Leaf, California Zephr, Capital Limited, Lake Shore Limited, Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Amtrak California, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, City of Miami, The Seminole, Florida East Coast and the Panama Limited, Texan Dinner Train, Wabash Canon Ball, New York Subway, Metro North, LIRR, San Francisco Cable Cars, Market Streetcar, St. Louis Streetcars, Prague Trams, (Prazske Tramvaje), Moscow Subway, (Московский метрополитен,) Krakow Glowny, Krakow Plaszow

>>>>>>> Why let your trip fail, always ride the Amtrak Rail! <<<<<<

#4 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

It was the first Superliner sleeper, and the last car to be made by the Pullman company.

Edit: The first item is, I think, incorrect. It was one of the first Superliner I's, however.

Edited by CHamilton, 02 May 2013 - 09:37 PM.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#5 Amy in TX

Amy in TX

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

I think it was just named after George M. Pullman. Just a guess.

Well, that was my guess too. :). And I do know who he was. Just didn't know if there was anything special about the car that it was named after him. It seems pretty much like the others I've been in

#6 Amy in TX

Amy in TX

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

It was the first Superliner sleeper, and the last car to be made by the Pullman company.

Well, that is significant. Thanks for the info!

#7 Amy in TX

Amy in TX

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

And one more question. Does anyone know why the quotes in my post are showing up so strangely? Am I doing something wrong or is it just because I'm on my iPhone?

#8 rickycourtney

rickycourtney

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

It was actually the last of the Superliner I cars to be delivered (in July 1981.)

I also had the pleasure of riding in this car on the Coast Starlight earlier this year... but other than its history it's just a normal sleeping car.

And one more question. Does anyone know why the quotes in my post are showing up so strangely? Am I doing something wrong or is it just because I'm on my iPhone?

Yeah... it's an annoying problem with the mobile version of the forum.

#9 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

I've been on several sleepers that were made by the Pullman company. There is a distinct difference between the Pullmans, and the ones made by Bombardier (many features are different, though I can't remember the specifics). So if the George M Pullman car was the last made by the Pullman company, it certainly wasn't the first Superliner sleeper car made.

#10 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

The car's fleet number, 32009, was chosen to honor the creator of the first railroad sleeping car, George M. Pullman, since his first sleeping car was numbered '9'....

Just a bit of trivia........

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#11 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:05 AM

IIRC, it was the last car made by Pullman-Standard.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)
Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)
Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#12 sechs

sechs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

Correct.  This was the last Pullman-Standard car.  The name was reapplied when it was refurbished.

#13 Guest_CREW-DORM#2524_*

Guest_CREW-DORM#2524_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

When the cars went in for overhaul, stripped and recieved phase IVb, the names were not applied. A higher-up saw this and was very upset over the mistake and they were quickly fixed. Also, 32003, the Edward L Ullman; 32502, the W. Graham Claytor Jr and the 32503, the A Phillip Randolph all had their names re-applied a few years back.

#14 battalion51

battalion51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,012 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

IIRC it seems like the rest of the Auto Train Deluxe Sleepers may have been spared too, but I'm not 100% on that.

The Chief
Rail Miles Travelled: 112,496

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users