Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Gateway Project/NYP Capacity Improvement

• Please log in to reply
396 replies to this topic

#381 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:58 PM

Those areas probably cooperate. You can;t even get an EZ-Pass discount on certain state's crossing unless you purchase it from that state or agency!!!

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#382 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,668 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:09 PM

Transport for London is basically in charge of almost all public transport that runs in the London Region, There are many outfits that fall within that umbrella through contracts and such. But all public transport in and around London, in a relatively large area, including what in the US would be called Commuter Trains, accept the Oyster Card and accept fares paid by smartphone wallets too, though in the latter case you may not be able to take full advantage of all discounts.

Edited by jis, 12 November 2017 - 09:11 PM.

#383 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,419 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:19 AM

Those areas probably cooperate. You can;t even get an EZ-Pass discount on certain state's crossing unless you purchase it from that state or agency!!!

True....if you want the best discount on each agencies toll facility, you have to obtain (and use) that agencies E Z Pass....a real inconvenience, as you have to carry a multitude of passes, and be sure to put the ones you don't want charged in the RF shielded envelopes, or you will be charged for each one 'read'.....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#384 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:27 AM

NYS Thruway honors any NYS CSC issued EZ Pass regardless of agency, I get the 5% off with an MTA B&T pass. They also honor PANYNJ

#385 RPC

RPC

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:50 AM

SEPTA Independence Pass works on anything labelled "SEPTA" (commuter rail, heavy rail transit, light rail/streetcar, bus) except for commuter rail downtown before 09:30 on weekdays. (But even here you have to pay a surcharge to get to/from NJ (but not DE).)

#386 CraigDK

CraigDK

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Railroading, Engineering, Aviation, Philosophy, Theology

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:24 PM

Governors Christie and Cuomo announced today commitments to provide funding for the Hudson Tunnel project.

https://www.governor...alf-new-gateway

http://www.njbiz.com...-tunnel-funding

https://www.nbcnewyo...-464211463.html

$1.75 billion from the State of New York

$1.90 billion from NJ Transit

$1.90 billion from the Port Authority

#387 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,141 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:32 PM

If we are lucky, they only want to build tunnels this time...
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#388 Andrew

Andrew

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:29 PM

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.3699009

I am surprised that NJ Transit will be contributing to the Hudson Tunnel Project--instead of the New Jersey Transportation Trust Fund.

#389 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,141 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:00 AM

If they used the TTF they would not be able to justify the next round of draconian service cuts.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Posted Image

#390 Andrew

Andrew

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:46 AM

If they used the TTF they would not be able to justify the next round of draconian service cuts.

Are you saying charging a trans-hudson ticket surcharge is the right thing for NJ Transit to do?

Edited by Andrew, 16 December 2017 - 09:46 AM.

#391 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,141 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:39 PM

No. I am saying that they enjoy doing the wrong thing.
Posted Image

#392 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,419 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:42 PM

Are you saying charging a trans-hudson ticket surcharge is the right thing for NJ Transit to do?

A ticket surcharge to New York City on NJT might drive a certain percentage of their passengers to switch over to PATH trains at Newark....unless PATH is hit with a similar surcharge....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#393 JohannFarley

JohannFarley

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:30 PM

A ticket surcharge to New York City on NJT might drive a certain percentage of their passengers to switch over to PATH trains at Newark....unless PATH is hit with a similar surcharge....
For one person to get from Edison to NYP and back it is $26.50. I dont know if a surcharge added on that would stop me from going into the city altogether, but it would make me want to go less. But also, i can afford a surcharge if im only going into nyc a few times a year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Amtrak Forum mobile app

---- History, Trains, and Classic Cars ----

Johann A. Farley

#394 Andrew

Andrew

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:50 PM

For one person to get from Edison to NYP and back it is $26.50. I dont know if a surcharge added on that would stop me from going into the city altogether, but it would make me want to go less. But also, i can afford a surcharge if im only going into nyc a few times a year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Amtrak Forum mobile app

The NJ Gas Tax went up last year. People are still driving.

I am just surprised that a ticket surcharge is the way that NJ is going to pay for the Hudson Tunnel Project.

I remember Christie supporting a gas tax hike because he wanted some of the TTF to go to Gateway.

#395 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,141 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:09 PM

Yeah. The cosa Nostra is known for its honesty,
Posted Image

#396 Andrew

Andrew

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:38 AM

At least the Portal Bridge is expected to be paid with 25% of the funding coming from the NJ TTF.

#397 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,141 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:54 AM

I dont care where funding comes from, as long as it gets built.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users