15 replies to this topic

#1 ozbuc

ozbuc

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

Is it reasonable for me to expect taxis to be at the station in Seattle when the Starlight pulls in?

#2 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

4528290409_ac717b1447.jpg

#3 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

Yes. There is generally a line of taxis waiting, and if by some chance there aren't enough, they'll call more.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#4 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

In my limited experience, there have been taxis waiting (a lot of them).

Amtrak miles: 125,527; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle (CHI-STL), Missouri River Runner, Acela Express (FC), Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service.   VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian (westbound), Ocean (eastbound/westbound).

#5 ozbuc

ozbuc

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for the replies.

#6 gn2276

gn2276

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

The only time it is hard to get a cab from the Starlight is on game days.

#7 EMDF9A

EMDF9A

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

There will be unlicensed towncars there too and they will offer you a too good to be true deal.  DO NOT fall into that trap.  You will end up paying double. Stick with a cab (Or Metro)

#8 Guest_lyke99_*

Guest_lyke99_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

Plenty of cabs at King Street. My first time there, I fell for the Town Car thing - never again.

#9 jmbgeg

jmbgeg

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

My experience is that cabs are more available at King Street Station than at Los Angeles Union Station and many other larger stations. 

jmb<br /><br /><span style='font-family: Palatino Linotype'>Select Plus Traveling the Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Cascades, California Zephyr, San Joaquins, Capitol Limited, Southwest Chief and Lakeshore Limited</span>

#10 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

My experience is that cabs are more available at King Street Station than at Los Angeles Union Station and many other larger stations. 

I found that cabs were always available at New York Penn Station. The only concern was about how long a wait in line. Cabs were constantly dropping off fares and picking up new ones. However, the passengers were a mix of office workers and train passengers.

#11 ozbuc

ozbuc

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

Again thanks for the replies and the town car warnings.

#12 zepherdude

zepherdude

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:I love Amtrak, the old Illinois Central and RR nostalgia dayz. I would live on a train if I could. Down with airplanes! Up with Passenger Trains!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

Does anyone know how much it is from the train station to the airport (SEA). Coming in on the Starlight to a airport hotel for a 0600 flight the next morning. Thank You!

I have traveled, Acela, Maple Leaf, California Zephr, Capital Limited, Lake Shore Limited, Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Amtrak California, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, City of Miami, The Seminole, Florida East Coast and the Panama Limited, Texan Dinner Train, Wabash Canon Ball, New York Subway, Metro North, LIRR, San Francisco Cable Cars, Market Streetcar, St. Louis Streetcars, Prague Trams, (Prazske Tramvaje), Moscow Subway, (Московский метрополитен,) Krakow Glowny, Krakow Plaszow

>>>>>>> Why let your trip fail, always ride the Amtrak Rail! <<<<<<

#13 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

"There is a $40.00 Flat Rate in effect for trips from the Downtown Seattle Hotel District to SeaTac Airport which applies to all taxicabs that operate in Seattle."

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#14 savoirfaire

savoirfaire

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Baseball

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

Does anyone know how much it is from the train station to the airport (SEA). Coming in on the Starlight to a airport hotel for a 0600 flight the next morning. Thank You!

If you aren't up for spending the $40 on the cab, exit king street station and walk one block east on Jackson to 5th and catch the light rail to the Airport station. Most airport hotels will offer a free shuttle from the station. It is about a 31 minute ride and costs $2.75.

-Sav

Routes traveled (in order): Wolverine, Lincoln Service, Capitol Limited*, Northeast Regional, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, Acela Express*, Lake Shore Limited, Pacific Surfliner*, Coast Starlight, Cascades, Cardinal, Hiawatha, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Southwest Chief. Total miles to date = 16,924 and counting... (* indicates full route)

#15 zepherdude

zepherdude

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:I love Amtrak, the old Illinois Central and RR nostalgia dayz. I would live on a train if I could. Down with airplanes! Up with Passenger Trains!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

Thanks Folks!

I have traveled, Acela, Maple Leaf, California Zephr, Capital Limited, Lake Shore Limited, Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Amtrak California, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, City of Miami, The Seminole, Florida East Coast and the Panama Limited, Texan Dinner Train, Wabash Canon Ball, New York Subway, Metro North, LIRR, San Francisco Cable Cars, Market Streetcar, St. Louis Streetcars, Prague Trams, (Prazske Tramvaje), Moscow Subway, (Московский метрополитен,) Krakow Glowny, Krakow Plaszow

>>>>>>> Why let your trip fail, always ride the Amtrak Rail! <<<<<<

#16 Everydaymatters

Everydaymatters

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts
  • Interests:Travel, antiques, reading, pinochle, grandkids

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:34 AM

Taxifarefinder.com is a great way to find fares throughout the country.  I've found them to be very accurate, however, on my last trip the price they showed was actually a dollar or two more than what I paid.  Note that the price they show also includes the tip.

Routes Traveled: Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Missouri Mule, Empire Builder, Capitol Ltd., Lincoln Service, Lake Shore Ltd., Missouri River Runner, City of New Orleans, Cardinal, Silver Meteor, Texas Eagle, Cascades, Broadway Ltd., Acela, Downeaster, Sunset Ltd., Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Hiawatha   64,611 Amtrak miles

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users