Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

GG-1 loco from 1953 WAS crash in need of restoration

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

Somewhere in the food court at Union Station, on a nondescript stretch of tile between the Great Steak and Potato Co. and China Kitchen, a rather smashing piece of D.C. history was made.

In 1953, a massive locomotive—Pennsylvania Railroad GG-1 No. 4876—plowed through the stationmaster's office and main newsstand before crashing through the floor coming to rest on the lower level, where the food court is today. The signs of destruction are long gone, but 60 years later—25 years after its engines gave their last dying hum—the runaway locomotive lies decomposing on a stretch of track in Baltimore.

The article tells the full story of the crash, and its aftermath.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#2 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,267 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

And here I thought you were saying that Eric (GG-1) needed restoration! :giggle:

Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#3 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

And here I thought you were saying that Eric (GG-1) needed restoration! :giggle:

Don't think I didn't consider making a crack like that :) but as far as I know, Eric never fell through the floor at WUS!

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#4 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,278 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

Don't think I didn't consider making a crack like that :) but as far as I know, Eric never fell through the floor at WUS!

Maybe @ 30th Street Station since he grew up around Philly!  :giggle:

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#5 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,267 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Maybe @ 30th Street Station since he grew up around Philly!   :giggle:

No, Eric is from the NYC area. Back when the Pony Express operated! :P (Am I digging my hole deep enough? :o)

Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#6 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:48 PM

Some interesting comments and photos from the 1953 accident.

Runaway Train Crashes Through Union Station Lobby

#7 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:20 PM

A nice read, I missed the earlier posts, so just caught up in 2016.

Good to know that no one was killed.

I wonder if the conductor, if he was in the last cars, could have applied the air brakes to the rear portion too... probably we will never know.

Ed.  :cool:

#8 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:45 AM

A nice read, I missed the earlier posts, so just caught up in 2016.

Good to know that no one was killed.

I wonder if the conductor, if he was in the last cars, could have applied the air brakes to the rear portion too... probably we will never know.

Ed.   :cool:

I was thinking the same thing.

I guess pre-cellular phone, how would you have got the message to him?

#9 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:34 PM

I would imagine that the continuous horn blowing, and the excessive speed towards the end of the journey, over and above the norm, might have alerted him, if he was not asleep over the table in the cafe car.   :)

Ed. :cool:

#10 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:42 PM

Site of the Union Station Train Crash in Washington, D.C.

http://www.atlasobsc...n-station-crash

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users