Cruise from Cape Liberty, NJ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbygrrl

Train Attendant
We are booked on a cruise that leaves from Cape Liberty, NJ. We would like to take the train from Maine and overnight before we depart for our sailing (which gives us a buffer, should we encounter issues/delays).

My problem is that I can't figure out where to take Amtrak to. Newark Airport, and stay at a hotel there? Or perhaps Newark Penn Station?

Cape Liberty is difficult to navigate to and figuring in the cost of transfers from the hotel to the port is an issue.

Also, when we return from the cruise, we'd like to get back to Maine in the same day if possible-although we realize we may need to overnight in Boston. Regardless, which Amtrak station is closest or easiest to get to via taxi, from the port? It's possible that going into Newark is best because of the variety of hotels offered, but maybe Newark is closer to the port for the return?!??

Any help is appreciated! I'm getting confused as I read about PATH, New Jersey transit, etc etc.

When I cruised from Bayonne, I flew in and stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on State Island. They share property (and ownership) with the Hampton Inn next door, and have a free shuttle that picks up at airport and train station, and takes you to the port. You would need to get back to the train station after the cruise, though. Find a hotel with a shuttle, then call and ask which station they pick up from. CJ

Last edited by a moderator:
The airport properties around Newark airport might have some good rates if you are staying over a friday or Saturday night. From there you could take a cab to the port. Also, check out the hotels in Newport, NJ. the hotels there have good rates. They are near the pavonia newport PATH station with easy access to manhattan.

To add to what Steve4031 said, if you're in Newport, you can take the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail down to the 34th station, just make sure you board a southbound train bound for the 8th street terminal. At 34th street, you'll still need a cab however to reach the cruise terminal, but it's shorter so it might be cheaper. Not saying it definitely is, but it's something to look into.

Hi there!

Are you a member of any of the cruise forums?

Cruise Critic is very active and not only do they have cruise line specific forums, they also have home port forums as well as many others.

Here's a link to a thread from the east coast departure forum where you can ask questions about getting to and from Cape Liberty.

Cruise Critic Cape Liberty 411

You could also do a search here: Cruise Critic East Coast Departures Forum

To add to what Steve4031 said, if you're in Newport, you can take the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail down to the 34th station, just make sure you board a southbound train bound for the 8th street terminal. At 34th street, you'll still need a cab however to reach the cruise terminal, but it's shorter so it might be cheaper. Not saying it definitely is, but it's something to look into.
Steve and Matt have given you some good advice, but you should know that Newport is a section of Jersey City, NJ.

There are hotels along the light rail line in Jersey City. If you are traveling into New York Penn Station or Newark Penn

Station, you can transfer to the PATH train to Hoboken and connect with the light rail there. The light rail makes several

stops near the hotels. You will need a taxi or hotel car to get to the pier in Bayonne.

On your return, I would suggest a taxi to Newark Penn Station, then a Regional Train to Boston.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hi Gabbygrrl

I am doing the same trip from Maine this October. Please let us know how your connections work and maybe give a recommendation for a motel.

Enjoy the waves and ports!

Waveman

I would recommend taking the train to Newark Penn Station and spending the night at a hotel downtown.

There is a vibrant area called the Ironbound immediately east of the station along Ferry Street where you have very nice dinner and drinks options. Then in the morning you can cab it to the cruise port from your hotel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Gabbygrrl
I am doing the same trip from Maine this October. Please let us know how your connections work and maybe give a recommendation for a motel.

Enjoy the waves and ports!

Waveman
Waveman,

We'll be doing this trip after you...so it looks like I'll be relying on your post-trip report to see how it goes.

I thought taking a cruise from the East Coast and using Amtrak would be a piece of cake but it's not turning out that way. Cape Liberty doesn't seem set up with the hotels and services (like pier/airport shuttles) like other ports are. As much as we love the train and the cruise itinerary, it might be easier to fly to Florida and go from there....crazy, right?!?

Anyway, please report back on what you end up doing. It would be greatly appreciated!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back