Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Train Hopping

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

I know you guys have trouble with playing BBC tv online, but maybe you can access the radio?

"The last red blooded American adventure out there" - the words of a man who doesn't need to ride the rails, but does it for excitement.

Train hopping has a long tradition in America - from Jack London to the 1930s, when the unemployed took to the rails to find work. Despite increased security since 9/11, train hopping is far from a forgotten way of travelling in the USA - but the demographics are new.

Today the vast majority are illegal workers, mainly Hispanic, who seek to cross the border in to the States, and join legal migrants following the seasonal work - from lumber cutting in the north, to the melon fields of California. They risk entanglement with border guards and heavy machinery, even hanging in wire baskets under the units to avoid detection. Others take that risk voluntarily - seeking fun and adventure - getting their information from handbooks, conventions and websites giving safety tips and eulogising the thrill to be had taking to the rails. Finally, there are the hobos - people who choose to spend their lives on the road, and rails - welcomed annually as romantic heroes in Britt, Iowa, at the Hobo Festival.

Peter Bowes hears from the train hoppers of the 21st century - hair-raising tales from illegal migrants from Honduras and El Salvador; the engine drivers who takes two mile long freight trains across the remotest wildernesses in America, spotting 'jumpers' alongside the desert tracks; and those who prefer the excitement of an open box car to the safety of the wheel - preferring to lie on top of a lumber car and watch a starry sky as the wheels thunder below. Romance and danger - desperation and fear - the real world of "Train Hopping In The USA" today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b01p71wl

Interesting programme

Ed. :cool:

#2 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

:cool: Nice find Eddie! When I was in Taylor last week on a Double points Run there was a Band of Young Musicians that had come to Austin for South by Southwest waiting in the Taylor Yards to hop a Freight North! They told me they had ridden all over North America and Canada this way and werent really Harassed much by Rail Road Police like Hobos used to be in the Freight Yards! 

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#3 The Davy Crockett

The Davy Crockett

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,332 posts
  • Interests:The Rails, US History, The Great Outdoors, Good Food

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

I ran across someone at the NOL French Market who had a similar story to tell.  Inner City Organic Pictures 

I wish I was a headlight on a northbound of the border train.

#4 DET63

DET63

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

The_traveler, of course, takes train-hopping to an entirely different level. I'll bet the BBC didn't feature that in their documentary.

#5 George Harris

George Harris

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
  • Interests:Track, construction, schedules

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

Just a couple of weeks ago was talking with a man who was in track maintenance in time past.  Somehow he got to talking about picking up bodies and pieces of bodies of train-hoppers that had been killed.  In years past there was none of this biological hazard concept and you just picked the chunks up and hauled them to your truck.  One of the strange ones he mentioned was finding a shoe with the foot in it.  Called ahead and the crew in the yard found the rest of the person hanging on the end of a freight car, but dead having bled out. 

Yes train-hopping can be considered the "Last red-blooded American adventure" but the questiong becomes, how much of your red blood can you afford to spread along the track? 

#6 DET63

DET63

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:08 AM

Include a tourniquet in your travel kit if you go train-hopping.

#7 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:58 PM

An interesting story of freight-hopping across Canada from 2010.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#8 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:06 PM

An interesting story of freight-hopping across Canada from 2010.

Wow! Truely an amazing feat, especially in the Canadian Cold! 😉

We just think riding the Canadian between Toronto and Vancouver is a long trip!!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#9 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:34 PM

Nicely produced piece. Thanks!

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#10 Rover

Rover

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 12:25 AM

I ran across this freight hopper on You Tube. He doesn't tell a verbal story, other than letting the HD camera show you parts of America not normally seen by the average person.

His Channel is RanOutOnARail

https://www.youtube....h?v=NiZG_eKO6EI

Edited by Rover, 23 August 2018 - 12:26 AM.

I've ridden: ~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~
Books: ~ Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

#11 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 23 August 2018 - 10:22 AM

I really hate it every time this topic comes up, and possibly inspires otherwise sensible people to take up this dangerous and illegal activity..... :angry:

• cpotisch likes this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#12 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 23 August 2018 - 01:02 PM

I really hate it every time this topic comes up, and possibly inspires otherwise sensible people to take up this dangerous and illegal activity..... :angry:

Agreed. It sounds fun (and probably is in some ways), but it's a pretty terrible idea. In fact, the fact that it sounds cool makes it that much more likely that someone sees an article or video like that and decides to go do it.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#13 Rover

Rover

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 02:02 PM

Agreed. It sounds fun (and probably is in some ways), but it's a pretty terrible idea. In fact, the fact that it sounds cool makes it that much more likely that someone sees an article or video like that and decides to go do it.

And yet, what we are shocked at here, is commonplace in other places, and the danger is the norm.

1412285522498_Image_galleryImage_Mandato

Edited by Rover, 23 August 2018 - 02:02 PM.

I've ridden: ~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~
Books: ~ Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

#14 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 23 August 2018 - 02:03 PM

And yet, what we are shocked at here, is commonplace in other places, and the danger is the norm.

1412285522498_Image_galleryImage_Mandato

Just because a ton of impoverished people in a third world country have to ride on the roof of a train doesn't mean it's not a bad idea to freight hop.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#15 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 10:18 PM

Freight hopping is not only illegal, but dangerous. Freight cars aren't designed to carry passengers. Your fellow travelers are also probably not the cream of society. 

#16 CSXfoamer1997

CSXfoamer1997

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 01:33 PM

Train hoppers are absolute idiots. They give the rest of us railfans a bad name.

#17 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 26 August 2018 - 01:49 PM

Train hoppers are absolute idiots. They give the rest of us railfans a bad name.

Any one who tries to ride a freight train, should not even be considered a "rail fan".... :angry:

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#18 CSXfoamer1997

CSXfoamer1997

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 04:38 PM

Any one who tries to ride a freight train, should not even be considered a "rail fan".... :angry:

You could say that again! Another example is Stobe The Hobo!

#19 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,522 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:25 PM

I shared the one for the coast starlight route with the railroad police. Never got a response. But should be easy to prosecute if they wanted to pursue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users