Is Amsnag Down again?

39 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Minister_*

Guest_Minister_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

Tried accessing it on two different computers. Looks like it has been blocked. I don't know why Amtrak always does this as the program doesn't harm anything. Anyone got a clue to what is happening??.

This is what I get after entering a search.

Query failed: insert into choice select distinct sessId,conCode,seg,train, depSta, arrSta from result where sessId = order by conCode,seg
Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'order by conCode,seg' at line 2
Query failed: delete from result where sessId =
Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1
Query failed: select * from choice where choiceId =
Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1

Fatal error: Call to a member function fetch_array() on a non-object in /home/biketra1/public_html/common/mysqlI.php on line 87

#2 June the Coach Rider

June the Coach Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Interests:Disabled, so interests are mainly watching sports or traveling by train.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

I have been having trouble with internet explorer, but no problem with firefox. Not sure what the issue is with IE, but I get the same error.

#3 Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, AU, photography, poetry, surfing internet,

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

Works OK with Chrome......

California Zephyr LNK-DEN(RT), DEN-GJT (RT), OMA-CHI(RT) 2/11, Capitol Limited CHI-WAS (RT) 2/11
Silver Meteor WAS-WPB (RT) 2/11, Empire builder FAR-CHI (RT) 3/12, CL CHI-WAS 4/12
SM WAS-WPB 4/12, SM WPB-NYP 4/12, LSL NYP-CHI 4/12, EB CHI-FAR 4/12, EB FAR-CHI 4/13, CL CHI-WAS 4/13
SM WAS-WPB 4/13, SM WPB-NYP 4/13, LSL NYP-CHI 4/13, EB CHI-FAR 4/13, SM WPB-NYP 2/14, LSL NYP-CHI 2/14
EB CHI-FAR 2/14, EB FAR-CHI 2/14, CZ CHI-DEN 2/14

Miles as of Feb 2014......23, 279', Future Plans....Coast Starlight and SW Chief

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

Works on Firefox, fails on Safari.

#5 FriskyFL

FriskyFL

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

Working ok a few moments ago, Dolphin Browser on Android phone.

#6 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

Just tried in on my Firefox connection and is working fine

Amtrak Trains Ridden So Far:
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, Autumn Excursion Tour PHL, Silver Star,  -- 61,860  Amtrak miles & counting

#7 RyanS

RyanS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,374 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

Yep, definitely borked on Safari.
TrainSig.jpg

#8 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

Yep, definitely borked on Safari.

I just tried it (amsnag.net) on Safari (running on Windows XP) and it worked fine.

jb

#9 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Interests:Skiing, Martial Arts, Knife Throwing, Car collecting, Train Travel, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

I discovered that Amsnag works (using IE9 on Windows 7)IF you use the link www.biketrain.net and not www.amsnag.net. This is a great resource and we all owe a special word of thanks to John for creating it. It makes it so much easier finding a fare that fits your time frame and budget.

#10 AlanB

AlanB

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,857 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

This is a great resource and we all owe a special word of thanks to John for creating it. It makes it so much easier finding a fare that fits your time frame and budget.

While John is certainly deserving of kudo's for hosting Amsnag and helping to troubleshoot & keep it running, as well as his other contribution namely the Amtrak status maps, he is not the creator of Amsnag. That honor goes to Paul (PaulM).
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#11 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Interests:Skiing, Martial Arts, Knife Throwing, Car collecting, Train Travel, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

This is a great resource and we all owe a special word of thanks to John for creating it. It makes it so much easier finding a fare that fits your time frame and budget.

While John is certainly deserving of kudo's for hosting Amsnag and helping to troubleshoot & keep it running, as well as his other contribution namely the Amtrak status maps, he is not the creator of Amsnag. That honor goes to Paul (PaulM).
Alan: Thank you for the correction. We certainly want to give credit where credit is due so with apologies, please allow me to rephrase my comment:

We certainly owe a  word of thanks to PaulM for creating Amsnag and to JohnB who has offered his technical expertise to keep it running. Amsnag has been a great resource for us LD travelers

#12 Chuckles

Chuckles

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

I just received an e-mail alert that was complete nonsense (absurdly low fares), but for only one of the segments I was watching. Did a manual check and the numbers went back to normal. There does not seem to be a "Contact us" link on their web page.

#13 Guest_waxman_*

Guest_waxman_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

I just received an e-mail alert that was complete nonsense (absurdly low fares), but for only one of the segments I was watching. Did a manual check and the numbers went back to normal. There does not seem to be a "Contact us" link on their web page.

Amsnag is not a "for profit venture". It was designed by a forum member as a courtesy resource for other travelers.  Usually websites that have contact links are those where you purchase something.  In this case you are paying nothing to use the service..

The site has not only always worked well, it has also saved many forum members money. If you book early enough, are flexible on the dates, and check back regularly (if you are fare watching) you will get the lowest bucket fares that are available on a particular route. Bucket fares will fluctuate depending on factors such as ticket sales for the train on the day of travel, the season and the anticipated demand. .

#14 Chuckles

Chuckles

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

Amsnag is not a "for profit venture". It was designed by a forum member as a courtesy resource for other travelers.  Usually websites that have contact links are those where you purchase something.  In this case you are paying nothing to use the service..

The site has not only always worked well, it has also saved many forum members money. If you book early enough, are flexible on the dates, and check back regularly (if you are fare watching) you will get the lowest bucket fares that are available on a particular route. Bucket fares will fluctuate depending on factors such as ticket sales for the train on the day of travel, the season and the anticipated demand. .

Why are you telling me this? I just got an alert from them that had nonsensical fares. There is no mechanism for me to report it to help stop it from happening again. Saying "the site has...always worked well" in response to this report that it is not working well is pointless.

#15 AlanB

AlanB

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,857 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

Why are you telling me this? I just got an alert from them that had nonsensical fares. There is no mechanism for me to report it to help stop it from happening again. Saying "the site has...always worked well" in response to this report that it is not working well is pointless.

Actually the mechanism, if you will, is to come here and do as you've done; make a post about it. Either Paul or John will see your post and try to look into things. John may well simply hand off the problem to Paul however, since it really is Paul's baby.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#16 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:13 AM

There's an email address posted on the website.

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)

2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)

#17 RyanS

RyanS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,374 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:09 AM

There's an email address posted on the website.
Cleverly hidden right there on the main page :D

amsnag_contact.png
TrainSig.jpg

#18 WellTrained

WellTrained

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

And, just in case some of you haven't looked it up, ""wurfsendungen"" means junk-mail. Go Paul!

Still wasn't working from IE9 last night. FWIW. Which isn't much.

Again, many many thanks to Paul for the filter. For my next trip, Amtrak gives me 13 routings, of which I'm only7 interested in one! What a pleasure to not have to wade through the other 12.

And I like the new feature that tells you which day it's "snagging", especially the "Stand by", which I consider much more polite than "Please wait.". 

Cheers

Phil S

US trains taken: Starlight, Zephyr (through both Wyo and Utah/Colorado), SW Chief, Sunset, Southern Crescent, Cardinal, Carolinian, NEC Boston to Washington (though not yet on Accela), EB, NorthCoastHiawatha, Desert Wind, DRG through Colorado, Silver Star (NYP/CRN), Night Owl, Capital Limited, Wolverine, Sounder, probably others.

Canada, Europe (including USSR), Mexico, Central America, Northern Africa,and Japan.  

#19 Chuckles

Chuckles

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

Yeah, I found it yesterday. Once you log in you can't see this page again, so yes 'cleverly hidden' is an accurate and unsarcastic description. 

I don't know German so I didn't know what the address meant, but in fact I received a response to my e-mail, acknowledging the apparent issue and promising to look into it.

Edited by Chuckles, 25 March 2013 - 12:56 PM.

#20 Chuckles

Chuckles

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

Here's the error. Notice the size of the price drop, e.g. bedroom went from $897 to $224. I received the alert and re-checked manually 35 min later, as you can see below, and the price was in fact the original one ($897 for the bedroom).

x.jpg

Edited by Chuckles, 25 March 2013 - 10:32 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users