Superliner Sleeper and Pack 'n Play

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MrsMorty

I can't seem to find a clear answer to this question: My husband, 11 month old son and myself will be traveling on a Superliner Sleeper, room C, in a few days. If I do not extend the lower bed out fully, will I be able to set up a Pack n' Play for my son (measurements are approx. 40 x 29). I'm hoping so, even if it means no access to the bathroom while it is set up. Thank in advance.

On a super liner there are four bathrooms on the lower level and one on the upper level.

Possibly, but I don't think so. Could you co-sleep on the lower berth with your 11 month old son?

On a super liner there are four bathrooms on the lower level and one on the upper level.
The OP is referring to the private bathroom in their room ( C ).

Last edited by a moderator:
The lower berth (bed) only has 2 "settings". It can be left as a sofa, or it can be fully extended.

When it is left as a sofa, the Pack N Play may fit, but at night you couldn't use the mattress (as it is the size of the extended berth) not could the ladder to the upper berth be easily reached. The lower berth width is obtained by extending the seats forward and the "backrest" of the sofa folds down flat.

I could sleep on the lower berth with him, and it sound like that is what I will do. I just prefer not to as he's quite the thrasher in his sleep. I was hoping to actually get some sleep on the ride by giving him in his own space. :) Thanks again to everyone for the input.

Yeah I know the size of a pack n play, and I am just envisioning it not being able to fully extend because they are pretty long. I also think it might be too wide for the floor space between the bathroom and the chair. Do you something smaller that you could use?

I am not sure how big your son is, my niece is only 10 months old but she is a little peanut at 15 lbs and my sister uses something like this when they travel:

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Deluxe-Travel-Bed/dp/B004QDKMNC/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1363990862&sr=1-2&keywords=portable+travel+crib

I think something like that could work on the floor in the space between the bathroom and the sofa, but if your son is on the big side, he is probably too big for it. But browse around for something similar that might work!

Been a while since I've had to use them (twins are 13 now), but don't think there is any way a stnd Pack-n-Play would fit in any room, sans, PERHAPS, the handicap room

Well if you don't mind sleeping on the seats without the mattress, you could probably still make things work. You'd have to strip off the sheets & blanket from the mattress and make some sort of quasi arrangement on the seats with the sheets & blankets. And you'd have to be careful about rolling off the seats in your sleep. Not sure how one does that, but still it could be an issue.

It might, and I stress might, be possible to put the seats halfway down as there are three positions to them and still get the Pack-n-Play in. There is fully back and in couch mode, fully out from the wall and in bed mode, and a mid point pause. I'm not sure if the Pack-n-Play would still fit with the seats in the mid point position, but maybe just maybe. And if you can get that to work, then you might still be able to use the mattress, and sort of curl/curve part of it down in between the seats and the Pack-n-Play.

Even if the mattress still can't be made to work, it would still give you more room to sleep on the seats.

PS. I approved your membership, so you should be able to sign in. Welcome! :)

June the reviews of the product you posted said it was recalled due to safety issues.
Not so... the recalled item was the PeaPod Travel Bed, not the PeaPod Lite in June's link.

Amazon does a pretty good job of suspending the sales of recalled items as well as those with other problems brought to their attention.

June the reviews of the product you posted said it was recalled due to safety issues.
The item that I posted is on Amazon and has no recall for it, As JoanieB said, I believe the one that is recalled is the regular Pea Pod, not the Pea Pod Lite. The original Pea Pod was too heavy and could fall over on top of the baby. The lite is much lighter weight and if it does roll over with the baby rolling around, it does not fall on the child, it just rolls over onto the support bars, keeping the baby safe and secure.

My son used this for my grand-daughter when they would visit until she was old enough to sleep in a regular bed.

My apologies - some of the reviews on amazon for the lite product said it was recalled. I did not bother to research further.

I could sleep on the lower berth with him, and it sound like that is what I will do. I just prefer not to as he's quite the thrasher in his sleep. I was hoping to actually get some sleep on the ride by giving him in his own space. :) Thanks again to everyone for the input.
Are you short? What about putting him crosswise i.e. facing the wall. Your pillow would keep him from rolling over on you and would isolate you from his thrashing.

I often sleep in the lower bunk without extending into a proper bed. I put the mattress (rolled up) at the end of the seat

and put my feet on the mattress and my head at the other end. It keeps the room in tact and my wife sleeps in the upper

bunk. I think there would be room for a pack-and-play on the floor, but you would not be able to use the bathroom.

I would think the baby would sleep well on a moving train.

MrsMorty if you are still checking this thread, I think it should just fit (provided you move the easy chair out of the way). The room is 6'6" wide, with the lower bed open (3'4") that leaves 38" between the berth and the wall. The other dimension (the width of the room) is 7'6" and the bathroom takes up less than half of that, which should give you at least 42".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back