Longest stretch of running between stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortline

Conductor
Other than the Auto Train, that only makes crew change stops, which train has the longest stretch of scheduled running time between stops? I know I COULD just go look at the timetables online, but I know someone here has already done it, and knows the answer. So, how far can one go, time wise, between station stops? Seems most trains stop about every hour or so, give or take.

Without checking timetables, off the top of my head a couple of candidates would be from Chemult to Eugene Oregon on the Coast Starlight, and a couple of stretches on the Sunset Limited in Texas.

Ignoring the padding in some of the schedules, my perusal of the current Amtrak system timetable finds that the run from San Antonio to Houston on the SL at 4 hr 45 minutes is the longest time-wise (210 miles). While Salt Lake City to Elko on the CZ at 263 miles is the longest distance-wise (4 hr 33 minutes).

Ignoring the padding in some of the schedules, my perusal of the current Amtrak system timetable finds that the run from San Antonio to Houston on the SL at 4 hr 45 minutes is the longest time-wise (210 miles). While Salt Lake City to Elko on the CZ at 263 miles is the longest distance-wise (4 hr 33 minutes).
Coming close is Sunset Limited's run from El Paso to Alpine, TX. 219 miles, 4 hr 10 min non-stop run.

If you want to factor in (or out, as the case may be) trains not needing to stop at flagship stations, then, on those occasions the Sunset Limited doesn't stop at Deming, Lordsburg, or Benson on the same run ( don't know if there's ever times it doesn' t stop at any of them) then the five hours even and 315 miles between El Paso and Tucson leads in both mileage and time.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my guidebooks confirms SLC - Elko as the longest distance without a scheduled stop.

One of my guidebooks confirms SLC - Elko as the longest distance without a scheduled stop.
Perhaps that is why it is so easy for me to fall asleep after boarding the westbound Zephyr in SLC. The train leaves at 11:30, nothing to see and no stops until 3:00am. Now if the conductors and car attendants could move through the coach a little more quietly, we could probably sleep until the 6:00am stop in Winnemucca.

Does a detour route count? The Wyoming detour on the CZ runs from SLC to DEN with no station stops.
If so, Another Long One is the Detour Between STL and CHI when there is Track Work going on North of STL! It's over 300 Miles and 7 Hours with No Stops through Amish Farm Country!
You gotta love the detours, Jim! Seven hours through Amish Country sounds heavenly. And we loved 15 hours of watching deer and antelope playing and the buffalo roaming out our window on the Wyoming detour!

If we're counting detours here, how about the Coast Starlight re-route SAC to LAX along the UP line through the Central Valley, up and over Tehachapi, then Palmdale and finally into LAUS as one straight shot. Just a crew-change stop in Bakersfield (NOT at BFD, but instead at the former Southern Pacific Bakersfield station!) 448 miles in 9 hours and 20 minutes. Had the pleasure of doing this in 2009!

There is padding at Elko too, I was once 15 minutes early there, woke up and stepped outside for some photos of the chain-linked platform
Nice photos of a rarely seen Amtrak station. Hard to believe more than 8,000 people use the Elko station each year.
San Antonio's Sunset Station may not be all that great, but when I'm reminded of stations like Elko I see it with new eyes.

elko10.jpg

SAS794_zps598846dc.jpg

When the Desert Wind first started in 1979, its original non stop run from Milford, Ut. to Las Vegas, Nv, at 243 miles was the longest. At that time, the SFZ run from Ogden to Elko via The Cutoff was 'only' 227 miles....shorter than the current CZ SLC to Elko routing...

The run of the Desert Wind prior to Milford, from SLC was 207 miles. Two long back to back segments. Later, intermediate stops at Delta and Caliente were added.

And, If you add in the time zone change, then the longest stretch "by-your-watch time" would be the Elko (PT) - SLC (MT) at 5:06.

Last edited by a moderator:
And, If you add in the time zone change, then the longest stretch "by-your-watch time" would be the Elko (PT) - SLC (MT) at 5:06.
And, if you do it during the spring clock change, by-your-watch time would be an hour longer yet.....
Another old thread brought back to life...
default_smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back