Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Seattle, WA

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:42 AM

Thanks, dlagrua! For those visiting Seattle in the next few months, be aware that many waterfront businesses are closed due to construction.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#42 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:17 PM

As mentioned in another thread: If you're looking for a hot sit-down breakfast near King Street Station, "McCoy's Firehouse Bar & Grill" is just three blocks north. They open for breakfast at 8:00 a.m. Mon.-Fri., and 9 a.m. on Saturdays & Sundays. Good breakfast menu with a lot of hearty choices. The kitchen is open until 10 p.m. for lunch and dinner as well. Two thumbs up—mine and my Dad's. We'd definitely eat there again.

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#43 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:27 PM

Thanks, dlagrua! For those visiting Seattle in the next few months, be aware that many waterfront businesses are closed due to construction.

The waterfront businesses have reopened as of July 1.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#44 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:37 PM

There is finally a regional transit day pass available on the ORCA card.

And if you are interested in telephone history, check out the Museum of Communications.

#45 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:51 PM

All the reasons to love Seattle in 4:55.

WSDOT has posted an Amtrak Cascades video in a similar style. 

#46 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,151 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:13 PM

Excellent videos Charlie, thanks for sharing!😉
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#47 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,056 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:04 PM

Visit the Gum Wall while you can. They're about to clean it.

They're going to let people put gum on the walls again once it's cleaned, so it's not going away. It'll just look odd for a while.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#48 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:13 PM

Next time I get to visit Seattle, I want to visit the Thistle Puppet Theatre:

http://www.thistleth...rg/schedule.htm

#49 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:14 AM

Then there's this:

http://archiemcpheeseattle.com

And this:

http://www.bethscafe.com

#50 rickycourtney

rickycourtney

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 03:28 PM

They're going to let people put gum on the walls again once it's cleaned, so it's not going away. It'll just look odd for a while.

You mean it'll just look like a wall for a while?

#51 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,056 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 15 November 2015 - 03:40 PM

You mean it'll just look like a wall for a while?

Yes. ;) A bare, boring wall. Though, that alley is gorgeous. I love the brick and old-fashioned feel.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#52 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:05 PM

When I'm in Seattle, I usually try at least once to eat an early supper at the Old Spaghetti Factory and watch the Empire Builder go by. And I second the recommendation for Bill Speidel's Underground Tour. Twice I've stashed luggage at the station and taken the tour in the afternoon before leaving on the Empire Builder.

And now a question. How does the ORCA card work with a senior fare? In particular, is it necessary to buy a senior ORCA card? I ask because I will not be 65 on my next visit to Seattle, but will be 65 on the subsequent visit. I'd rather not buy a regular ORCA card for $5 now and then by a senior ORCA card for $3 next time. Can the regular ORCA card be converted or otherwise used as a senior ORCA card? Thanks for any enlightenment.

Edited by willem, 11 April 2016 - 12:16 PM.

#53 rickycourtney

rickycourtney

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:58 PM

And now a question. How does the ORCA card work with a senior fare? In particular, is it necessary to buy a senior ORCA card? I ask because I will not be 65 on my next visit to Seattle, but will be 65 on the subsequent visit. I'd rather not buy a regular ORCA card for $5 now and then by a senior ORCA card for $3 next time. Can the regular ORCA card be converted or otherwise used as a senior ORCA card? Thanks for any enlightenment.

No. The regular ORCA card is totally separate from the Regional Reduced Fare Permit (the official name for the Senior ORCA card). Also, important to note, it's not exactly easy to get a Regional Reduced Fare Permit. You either need to apply by mail or visit the King Street Center (not far from King Street Station) between 8:30am - 4:30pm to apply in person. Hope that helps... I know it's probably not what you want to hear.

#54 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:07 AM

Thanks, rickycourtney. Applying by mail will probably be easier when the time comes. I would rather be able to convert a regular ORCA card to the RRFP, but it's good to know how things work.

#55 NW cannonball

NW cannonball

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • Interests:People and places
    Justice
    Transport economics
    Techie stuff
    Grandchildren

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:27 AM

I got my RRFP ORCA card a few years back, just by asking at Westlake customer service window (now mostly closed)

The senior discount is worth a lot -- last year was $1 any bus or train any distance any time (ferries excepted) -- if memory serves. I keep the card for future visits.

Now is more hassle to get the RRFP ORCA card, but well worth it if you travel Seattle for more than a day or two.  Like it.

Thanks, rickycourtney. Applying by mail will probably be easier when the time comes. I would rather be able to convert a regular ORCA card to the RRFP, but it's good to know how things work.

Trains experienced:

AMTRAK - Empire Builder, SW Chief, Coast Starlight, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Capital Limited, NER, Silver Star, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades.

Great Northern - Winnipegger, Red River, Empire Builder.

NYC - Pacemaker

Commuter lines - NM RailRunner, Metra, Northstar

outside USA - NS, DB, ÖBB, JR (Tokaido & Sanyo shinkansen, JRE (Tokyo area), JR Shikoku

#56 NW cannonball

NW cannonball

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
    Justice
    Transport economics
    Techie stuff
    Grandchildren

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:02 AM

Northwest Folklife will happen next weekend,.

Seattle Center (the park and museums and performance venues in Seattle Center near the Space Needle) will bust out with at least a hundred sponsored performers, as many buskers, and a contradance marathon.

I've attended 4-5 times, if you like folkdance, beer, fairly decent "festival food" --

Be there or be a rectangle :)

Trains experienced:

AMTRAK - Empire Builder, SW Chief, Coast Starlight, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Capital Limited, NER, Silver Star, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades.

NYC - Pacemaker

outside USA - NS, DB, ÖBB, JR (Tokaido & Sanyo shinkansen, JRE (Tokyo area), JR Shikoku

#57 Train2104

Train2104

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:57 AM

Seattle Center (the park and museums and performance venues in Seattle Center near the Space Needle) will bust out with at least a hundred sponsored performers, as many buskers, and a contradance marathon.

I've attended 4-5 times, if you like folkdance, beer, fairly decent "festival food" --

I'll be in SEA on Saturday...not too happy since I'd rather enjoy the area without a festival crowd...hope my Space Needle tickets are still good...

#58 NW cannonball

NW cannonball

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
    Justice
    Transport economics
    Techie stuff
    Grandchildren

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:00 AM

I'll be in SEA on Saturday...not too happy since I'd rather enjoy the area without a festival crowd...hope my Space Needle tickets are still good...

Don't worry it -- if you have the "space needle tix"   you can ride the space needle , no worries

The "Festival Crowd" is , and  has been, in my experience, only my 6 times at FolkLife - totally zero sweat, mellow, helpful crowd.

I expect that, if you ask anybody at the  NW Folklife scene for any advice on food, or where to ply your musical instrument, or where to crash, no questions.

Nobody stops you from the many other attractions that will be less crowded next weekend.

Play it by ear, and no fear.

Trains experienced:

NYC - Pacemaker

#59 Maglev

Maglev

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:33 PM

I have a question about getting from a northbound  Cascades train to SeaTac.  Should I get off at Tukwila or Seattle?  Amtrak describes the connection from King Street Station to SeaTac by light rail in the timetable, but there is an airplane icon by the Tukwila station in the schedule.  The train wastes quite a bit of time going the last few miles into Seattle in addition to the closer proximity to the airport of Tukwila.  Is it easy to get from the Tukwila Amtrak station to the light rail station?

Northeast corridor Heritage, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#60 NW cannonball

NW cannonball

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
    Justice
    Transport economics
    Techie stuff
    Grandchildren

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:05 AM

I have a question about getting from a northbound  Cascades train to SeaTac.  Should I get off at Tukwila or Seattle?  Amtrak describes the connection from King Street Station to SeaTac by light rail in the timetable, but there is an airplane icon by the Tukwila station in the schedule.  The train wastes quite a bit of time going the last few miles into Seattle in addition to the closer proximity to the airport of Tukwila.  Is it easy to get from the Tukwila Amtrak station to the light rail station?

From Amtrak station Tukwila to the light rail station called  "Tukwila"  at least a mile or two - no good way between.

Taxi, Uber, etc from Tukwila direct to SEA -- spendy, but works and saves time.

Edited by NW cannonball, 23 October 2016 - 04:19 AM.

Trains experienced:

NYC - Pacemaker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users