Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Seattle, WA

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 winterskigirl

winterskigirl

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

Ride the Ducks http://www.ridetheducksofseattle.com/ is another fun and somewhat goofy to tour Seattle.  Best part I think is going onto Lake Union and cruising by the famous houseboat where "Sleepless in Seattle" was filmed. 

#22 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

Seattle Transit Blog's Seattle for Visitors explains how to ride transit in Seattle.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#23 NW cannonball

NW cannonball

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • Interests:People and places
    Justice
    Transport economics
    Techie stuff
    Grandchildren

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:42 AM

Seattle Transit Blog's Seattle for Visitors explains how to ride transit in Seattle.

Thanks.  Good site for visitors.  DO buy the ORCA if you will be in Seattle more than a day or two.  On my recent visit bought the (senior citizens) card at the Westlake tunnel station. For $3 (senior discount from the $5 for the card plus put $30 on it, lost a lot of hassle and saved a bunch of cash.  The $23 left on the ORCA will serve me well the next time I visit.

Trains experienced:

AMTRAK - Empire Builder, SW Chief, Coast Starlight, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Capital Limited, NER, Silver Star, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades.

Great Northern - Winnipegger, Red River, Empire Builder.

NYC - Pacemaker

Commuter lines - NM RailRunner, Metra, Northstar

outside USA - NS, DB, ÖBB, JR (Tokaido & Sanyo shinkansen, JRE (Tokyo area), JR Shikoku

#24 June the Coach Rider

June the Coach Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Interests:Disabled, so interests are mainly watching sports or traveling by train.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

When I arrive in SEA from EUG, I need to take the ferry to Bainbridge Island to meet a friend. As I cannot walk long distances, are there taxis that are at King St. Station when the Amtrak Cascade arrives around noon time?

#25 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,534 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography, reading. And any combination thereof. :)

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

Taxis should be available when your train gets in. I say "should" because one time while on the Coast Starlight, the train arrived at King Street Station early and the cabs didn't begin showing up until a few minutes after we had arrived. But there "should" be cabs available for you. :)

Edited by JayPea, 05 June 2013 - 12:44 PM.

Amtrak miles traveled: 85410
Pre-Amtrak miles traveled:8478
Bustitution miles traveled:450
States traveled through on Amtrak: 44

#26 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

Thanks.  Good site for visitors.  DO buy the ORCA if you will be in Seattle more than a day or two.  On my recent visit bought the (senior citizens) card at the Westlake tunnel station. For $3 (senior discount from the $5 for the card plus put $30 on it, lost a lot of hassle and saved a bunch of cash.  The $23 left on the ORCA will serve me well the next time I visit.

Ditto that about the ORCA card. It wasa godsend for me during the Gathering in 2011, and I know will come in very handy again when I visit Seattle starting 3 weeks, 1 day, 7 hours, and 27 minutes from now (not that I'm counting down the time or anything). :lol:
That's if the Cascades from Portland is on time. :)

#27 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,151 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

Ditto that about the ORCA card. It wasa godsend for me during the Gathering in 2011, and I know will come in very handy again when I visit Seattle starting 3 weeks, 1 day, 7 hours, and 27 minutes from now (not that I'm counting down the time or anything). :lol:

But who cares if the Trains are Late right Jeff? :)  :)  :)

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#28 June the Coach Rider

June the Coach Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Interests:Disabled, so interests are mainly watching sports or traveling by train.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

Don't ruin the city too badly, I am there two weeks after you. I arrive on July 10th, but staying over in Ploulsbo but will be back in Seattle on the 11th for the Mariners/Red Sox game then taking the EB back to CHI on the 12th.

#29 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

But who cares if the Trains are Late right Jeff? :)  :)  :)

I don't care, so long as I don't miss my connections!

Don't ruin the city too badly, I am there two weeks after you. I arrive on July 10th, but staying over in Ploulsbo but will be back in Seattle on the 11th for the Mariners/Red Sox game then taking the EB back to CHI on the 12th.

Don't worry, June, I'm not the tear-up-the-town kind of guy! :lol: I have to leave something for someone else. Besides, I might want to come back! Part of my trip includes a Mariner game, too, on the 30th of June. The Marginals play the Flubs, er, Cubs on that day. I picked that game so that I could witness one lousy team win a game! :lol:

#30 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,151 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:35 PM

If its Lousy Baseball you want catch the Hooked Marlins vs. the Lastros!!! Loser will be Demoted to AAA!!!! :help:

Edited by jimhudson, 05 June 2013 - 11:36 PM.

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#31 tonys96

tonys96

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

We might be in Seattle in mid November for a National League of Cities convention. Are the same things to do available in November also? (Except seasonal soport, of course)

The worst part of censorship is XXXXXXXXXXX.

When you mute or alter a man's voice, you are not proving him wrong or a liar, you are only telling the world that you fear what he has to say.

#32 kmbjbb

kmbjbb

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Saw the pictures of the seafood and are already making plans to go there every three months and get seafood. Son started salivating while looking and it's gonna be 5 years before we are there.  :(

#33 NW cannonball

NW cannonball

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • Interests:People and places
    Justice
    Transport economics
    Techie stuff
    Grandchildren

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

In November - no special events like  Folklife or Bumbershoot - last May - of the overpriced places on the Eliot Bay waterfront - Anthony's had an OK happy hour for oysters - get there early  and  only a dollar or so per  -- but the price goes up every hour.

Best breakfast was somewhere near the Ballard bridge - depart the D bus at the south end of bridge and walk west through some  industrial and fishing area - not easy to find the way  pedestrian unfriendly - but place down by the waterfront there has a real good eggs "Benedict" but with crab.  Fishing wharf? something  like -- wish I knew the name.

Trains experienced:

AMTRAK - Empire Builder, SW Chief, Coast Starlight, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Capital Limited, NER, Silver Star, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades.

Great Northern - Winnipegger, Red River, Empire Builder.

NYC - Pacemaker

Commuter lines - NM RailRunner, Metra, Northstar

outside USA - NS, DB, ÖBB, JR (Tokaido & Sanyo shinkansen, JRE (Tokyo area), JR Shikoku

#34 manderson

manderson

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

In November - no special events like  Folklife or Bumbershoot - last May - of the overpriced places on the Eliot Bay waterfront - Anthony's had an OK happy hour for oysters - get there early  and  only a dollar or so per  -- but the price goes up every hour.

Best breakfast was somewhere near the Ballard bridge - depart the D bus at the south end of bridge and walk west through some  industrial and fishing area - not easy to find the way  pedestrian unfriendly - but place down by the waterfront there has a real good eggs "Benedict" but with crab.  Fishing wharf? something  like -- wish I knew the name.

Would that restaurant be Chinooks?

#35 June the Coach Rider

June the Coach Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

I was taken to that very restaurant, it is right next to Chinooks, not sure what the name of it is, but if you are standing in front of Chinooks, it is right off to the right, but further back toward the pier. My friend had the Crab benedict and I had a taste, wonderful. Also they will make your omlet anyway you want, not just how they have them on the menu, just ask.

#36 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

There's a new thread that discusses high-end Seattle hotels and restaurants here.

Also, if you're interested in architecture, you may like the tours offered by the Seattle Architecture Foundation.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#37 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

All the reasons to love Seattle in 4:55.

Edited by CHamilton, 02 July 2014 - 03:31 PM.

#38 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,151 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:28 PM

Great find Charlie, thanks for posting! And it was good to see King Street Station included and a little of the light rail!

What's the latest on getting the Streetcar going again along the waterfront?

Edited by jimhudson, 03 July 2014 - 09:48 AM.

#39 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:48 PM

Jim,

The official "preferred alternative" is to create a (modern) streetcar with a dedicated ROW on First Avenue, not on the waterfront. 

Some people would like to see the heritage cars used on the First Avenue line. But personally, I think a waterfront without a streetcar is a huge mistake. It will be an inhospitable place to those of us with no cars and limited mobility, and will be a barrier for tourists and locals alike. Yes, there will be some new connections to downtown, but there will be no easy way for people to move along the waterfront itself other than on foot or by bike.

As a result, I foresee a significant and permanent drop in business for waterfront businesses. People who want to go from, say, the Aquarium to the Wheel are not going to climb up to First, catch a streetcar, then go back down again.

The mayor has just nominated Scott Kubly to be the new head of the Seattle Department of Transportation, and Councilmember Tom Rasmussen is soliciting comments as to what Kubly's priorities should be. I would encourage anyone who is interested in the Waterfront Streetcar to submit your opinion to Rasmussen.

#40 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,740 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:34 AM

Did we mention Pacific Science Center?. If you catch a special exhibit they can be educational and fun.

A side trip to Mt Rainier National Park about 2 hour drive SE is very nice. Beautiful scenery, great nature trails, views, waterfalls and a nice lodge to stay at right inside the park.

The Woodland Park Zoo is a world class zoo and its huge.

At the waterfront you can take a ferry ride to Bainbridge or a harbor tour

As for restaurants we found a few gems. Elliott's on the Seattle waterfront ( thanks Charlie), the Purple Café on 3rd were both outstanding. Tillicum place café a small neighborhood place near Seattle Center was very good. For a fast inexpensive self serve seafood lunch; Ivar's on the waterfront is great substitute for ordinary burgers/fries fast food.

....and you'll arrive at the beautifully restored King Street Station!

There is so much to see and do in Seattle that it would take a few trips to see it all. .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users