Sacramento I Street Bridge Replacement Funding Possible

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackwolf

Conductor
Sacramento and West Sacramento have come a step closer to building a new bridge to replace the 101-year-old I Street Bridge that connects the two cities.
The I street bridge is a two-deck swing bridge structure that carries a two-lane road on the upper deck, and the double-tracked UP mainline on the lower deck. For several years, a plan has been stewing to build a brand-new bridge over the Sacramento river for car and pedestrian traffic about a mile south of the current I street bridge, in order to bring Broadway (just south of the Highway 50 overcrossing) over the river.

If the funding application is approved by both city councils, and then accepted by the Federal Government, a new bridge is expected to be constructed and in service by 2018.

However, the old I street bridge will not be torn down. The upper deck will be closed to vehicle and pedestrian traffic, but the lower deck will still be used for all train traffic (UP, Capitol Corridor, Coast Starlight, and California Zephyr.)

Story.

Thats dumb,, why would they completey close the vehicle upper deck of the old I st bridge verses keeping it open as a pedestrian bridge to travel into oldtown sac???!

Back