NTD 261 Steam Excursion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the Friends of 261 website:

This spring the “Friends of the 261,” in cooperation with Amtrak and BNSF Railway and Lake Superior Railroad Museum, will operate the Milwaukee Road 4-8-4 No. 261 under its own steam for the first time in four years, pulling its inaugural excursion from Minneapolis to Duluth, Minnesota.
On Saturday, May 11, the excursion train will depart Minneapolis at 9:00 a.m.* and travel BNSF Railway’s ex-Great Northern Hinckley Subdivision. Expected arrival in at the Lake Superior Railroad Museum in Duluth is at 3:00 p.m.*

On Sunday, May 12, our train will depart Duluth at 12:00 noon* with arrival in Minneapolis at 5:00 p.m

More details are here: http://261.com/steam-excursion-years/

I would really love to do that but $400 is a bit steep for the Penthouse Suite!
That's premuim full dome or observation car fare. $179 round trip for Coach is not at all out of line for "big steam" excursions (a 4-8-4 is definitely big steam!). IIRC Coach seats on the last San Diego Steam Special behind Santa Fe 4-8-4 No. 3751 were in that same ballpark. And AGR points CAN be used for getting to the excursion's departure point. If Team Whooz was not already looking closely at other options this would be a very tempting steam adventure opportunity, especially since we'd like to get back to ride those Twin Cities streetcars as well (only observed last time).

Also, though no special facilities are available (vintage equipment and all), it's cool for the excursion website to note that disabled folks are welcome; not all are so openly inclusive.

I made my purchase last night! I wanted to do 1st class, but end up doing Coach on this trip, and save the money for the fall 1st class trip!

Back