Quantcast

Photo

Chicago Style (Amtrak Gangnam Style Parody)

37 replies to this topic

#1 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Haha! I suppose this was inevitable.

Edited by CHamilton, 15 January 2013 - 10:59 AM.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#2 jsreeves

jsreeves

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

I am one of the few people on the planet that hasn't seen the original...I think I'll pass on this one as well. :)

#3 sitzplatz17

sitzplatz17

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Did a human build it? Does it move? Then I like it!!
    Trains, Planes, Automobiles, Ships, Bicycles, etc.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

That's actually pretty well done.
I wonder if it was officially sanctioned by Chicago or Amtrak?

Acela Service, Adirondack, Auto Train (7x), California Zephyr, Capitol Limited (3x), Cardinal, Cascades Service (2x), Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha Service, Lake Shore Limited, Lincoln Service (2x), Missouri River Runner, Northeast Regional (11x), Pacific Surfliner (8x), Palmetto, Silver Meteor, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited (ORL - NOL in '01), and the Texas Eagle.

Travelin' Amtrak since '93

#4 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

What I want to know is what makes Seoul's K-Pop like Psy's Gangnam so popular in Chicago?

This is just one of several Chicago remakes that are relatively well done.

All that's missing are some trim Asians to go with the rest of the visuals.

Any views expressed are my own and do not represent the views of my employer, parent companies, partners, or subsidiaries.

Over 50,000 people just like you recently signed a petition to expand high speed passenger rail in the United States of America.

Long live The Coast Starlight, The California Zephyr, The Empire Builder, The Southwest Chief, and The Canadian.

#5 Amtrak Cajun

Amtrak Cajun

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Interests:Amtrak, Building Computers, Amtrak, traveling in general, and umm did i mention AMTRAK!!!!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

I havent seen the original either JS. I bailed 1 minute in on this one..cant take it lol. They can keep this stuff.
Im Anthony.

Allll Aboooarrdd!!!!

#6 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

It's good marketing, though, especially if Amtrak is trying to attract a younger crowd. I say this as an oldish train geek. They need to be making sure that the next generation considers taking trains.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#7 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

The gag at the 2:25 mark was pretty good.

I wish they'd gone the extra mile as many of the higher-end parodies have done and used new lyrics instead of just of just using
the original song. But yeah, one of the better parodies. They did a good job using a lot of the iconic Chicago locations, though I didn't
see Wrigley Field or much of anything outside the Loop.

#8 Shortline

Shortline

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

That's actually pretty well done.
I wonder if it was officially sanctioned by Chicago or Amtrak?

That would be, No, I'm thinking....Either way, it's on of the better remakes out there. Redneck style was truly horrible...This was pretty well done.

Broadway Limited, Ann Rutledge, Misouri Mule, Misouri River Runner, San Diegan, Surfliner, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited, Crescent, Texas Eagle, Blue Water, Hiawatha, Heartland Flyer, California Zephyr, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Downeaster, City of New Orleans, City of New Orleans via Pullan Rail Journeys.

#9 amamba

amamba

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

That was very well done! Impressive filming and the quality was good.

I just wish, as others have mentioned, that they had redone the words in a full parody like the Mitt Romney one and others. That would have made it funnier. But kudos to however made this! :)

#10 The Davy Crockett

The Davy Crockett

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts
  • Interests:The Rails, US History, The Great Outdoors, Good Food

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

That is too funny! Even though he is a 'conductor', maybe this should be used as a training video for the CHI crews to show them the enthusiasm, energy and physical coordination that every Amtrak employee involved in customer service should aspire to. :huh: ;)
I wish I was a headlight on a northbound train.

#11 Guest_Nathanael_*

Guest_Nathanael_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

I actually think PSY is very interesting and after seeing Gangnam Style I researched his other work, and he's made quite a lot of interesting music and music videos (unfortunately only a fraction of it has been translated, and I don't know Korean). What really cracked me up about the endless parodies of Gangnam style is this: the original song is a parody of pretentious people pretending to be "in" (Psy said that nobody from Gangnam would ever say that they were 'Gangnam style'), and the original music video is basically a parody of music videos. Making parodies of parodies somehow seems to me to miss the point, and is arguably a pretentious thing to do and something done in an attempt to appear "in"...

Nice production and talent on this one though -- one of the better remakes in terms of quality.

#12 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

That is too funny! Even though he is a 'conductor', maybe this should be used as a training video for the CHI crews to show them the enthusiasm, energy and physical coordination that every Amtrak employee involved in customer service should aspire to.

Back when I was in high school I had to watch stupid upbeat parodies as part of my "training" for early unskilled jobs and I hated it.

Any views expressed are my own and do not represent the views of my employer, parent companies, partners, or subsidiaries.

Over 50,000 people just like you recently signed a petition to expand high speed passenger rail in the United States of America.

Long live The Coast Starlight, The California Zephyr, The Empire Builder, The Southwest Chief, and The Canadian.

#13 The Davy Crockett

The Davy Crockett

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts
  • Interests:The Rails, US History, The Great Outdoors, Good Food

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

That is too funny! Even though he is a 'conductor', maybe this should be used as a training video for the CHI crews to show them the enthusiasm, energy and physical coordination that every Amtrak employee involved in customer service should aspire to.

Back when I was in high school I had to watch stupid upbeat parodies as part of my "training" for early unskilled jobs and I hated it.

Why am I not surprised by that? :huh:
I wish I was a headlight on a northbound train.

#14 George Harris

George Harris

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,069 posts
  • Interests:Track, construction, schedules

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

I am one of the few people on the planet that hasn't seen the original...I think I'll pass on this one as well. :)

Count me in that few. There are several life experiences that I have missed and am happy to keep it that way. Count experiencing this either video or real amoung them.

#15 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Why am I not surprised by that? :huh:

They're hilarious now, watching them on youtube from wherever I happen to be bored, but I wouldn't wish them upon my worst enemy in any serious sense. BTW, if you really want beams of rose colored sunshine coming from my posts then feel free to start a thread about training videos for Deutsche Bahn or JRX. Gangnam Style is fun and all, but even Psy himself has retired the song as of the first of the year.

#16 MiRider

MiRider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

That was very well done! Impressive filming and the quality was good.

I just wish, as others have mentioned, that they had redone the words in a full parody like the Mitt Romney one and others. That would have made it funnier. But kudos to however made this! :)

I agree.
I loved it - it made me smile!

There's nothing better than seeing people happily smiling and having fun and that video was full of both.

I love PSY's Gangnam Style and I'm OLD :P .... hell, I plan on dancing to it (and more) on my upcoming cruise :)

Thanks for post it, CHamilton :)

Edited to add.... the SEARS Tower scenes gave me the heebie jeebies

Edited by JoanieB, 15 January 2013 - 05:24 PM.

35,568 miles & 63 trains/trips
California Zephyr(2) Amtrak Cascades (1) Capitol Limited (2) City of New Orleans(8) Empire Builder(2) Lake Shore Limited(2) Pere Marquette(28)
Southwest Chief (2) Texas Eagle(10) Wolverine(2) Bustitution(2) International Limited (2)

*Upcoming 2014 LD trips*
CHI-NOL-CHI roomette/cruise

*Upcoming  2015 LD trips*
CHI-NOL-CHI roomette/cruise

*Upcoming 2015 rail trips*

PBN-SPX-PBN Eurostar

*Tentative 2016 AGR Extravaganza*

CHI-LAX-SEA-EMY-CHI  SWC-CS-CZ

#17 FriskyFL

FriskyFL

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

What an utter waste...I want that 3:46 of my life back. :blink:

#18 The Journalist

The Journalist

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:Rocks, bacon, mass transit

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

Definitely one of the better parodies of that I've seen. And according to this news source it actually was done by Amtrak and/or Union Station....

I also want to know the context of "Luke....I am your feather" from that newspaper.

Tell me, have you seen the marvelous breadfish?

#19 Texan Eagle

Texan Eagle

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:38 AM

Definitely one of the better parodies of that I've seen. And according to this news source it actually was done by Amtrak and/or Union Station....

I also want to know the context of "Luke....I am your feather" from that newspaper.

"Luke... I am your father" is the very famous line from Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. 

The newspaper headline seen in the video "Luke.... I am your feather" is play of words on this line for a report about the launch of the mobile phone game Angry Birds Star Wars, a sequel of the wildly popular game Angry Birds.

#20 The Journalist

The Journalist

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:Rocks, bacon, mass transit

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:14 AM

Star Wars and Angry Birds would not have been my first guess for franchises to cross over, but, on second thought, I suppose they have significant fanbase overlap.

Tell me, have you seen the marvelous breadfish?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users